Nook VS Kindle

There is no comparison. Kindle is far better than the nook. The customer service alone is worth it. If your kindle has a problem or even if you accidently break it, they will overnight you a new one and give you 30 days to return the bad one. No one else does this. Nook forums have nothing but complaints about the service of barnes and noble. Amazon forums has a freebie thread. I watch it every day. I have hundreds of books that cost nothing. You can now subscribe to special offers on the kindle, or opt out if you don't want them. SOme people have saved hundreds of dollars from those specials alone. If you are traveling you would need a 3g model in case you aren't near wifi. THere are a lot of deals on the kindle keyboard right now and it is rumoured they are discontinuing it . THe kindle touch is getting rave reviews . I love mine, Can't live without it.

I disagree about the Nook I have had it for a year. I had a problem once and was able to take it into a Barnes and Noble and the fixed the problem. That being said I just picked up a Kindle also since I have downloaded to my laptop over 200 free books, but have n where to read them:D

Both devices have their pros and cons. A big plus in the favor of the Nook is that you can expand the memory if need as well as you can change the battery if something happens to the one that comes with it. You do not have to send it in for repair like you do with the Kindle. A friend had a problem with her battery and had to send it in for them to fix. I don't know if Amazon will continue to replace batteries was they wear out because eventually they will. My friends was still under the warranty, so they emailed her a shipping label and she sent it in and received it back in a little over a week.

Yes the kindle does have excellent service but the Nook is not as bad as some people have been saying. There are also many complaints against amazon customer service also. All depends on who you talk to.

All I can say is if you DH reads alot and buys a lot of books then I would go with the device that can he can increase storage with. If he is like me and only borrows books then either the Nook or the Kindle will work fine for him. I have the Nook w/wifi only and have not had a problem with travelling and getting a wifi spot. I just bought the Kindle keyboard with 3g/wifi with special offers that Target had for $85 (price was the deciding factor) so I will be trying it out also. I also just bought for my DD13 the Kindle Touch wifi with special offers for her for Xmas. She picked that one because it was a touch and none of her friends had it lol. She also chose the Kindle because that is what her friends have just a different version.

I may end up getting her a Nook also since again she has books for the Nook to read but only her computer to read on.

Whichever you choose he is going to love it as a reader. I love reading on an ereader

I own two kindles.

I work for a publisher and I can tell you that they are going to be pretty equal in what they can do.

For me I liked the kindle better. Ease of ordering from Amazon and the fact that I had amazon set up. Amazon has most of the market share of books.

Storage has never been an issue for me as I can store books in the cloud.

I think if you can go somewhere where you can compare them both. See how they feel and make a decision you will be happy with whatever you decide. I have friends that love the nook for almost the same reason I love my kindle. :)

Calibre is a free software that converts formats. No need for 2 readers, just convert. I've had to convert a lot when I switched over to kindle and never any problems. I love my kindle keyboard version and would recommend over the nook. Also if it's connected to an amazon prime account it now has free lending. Also the keyboard version has free 3G web browsing but don't expect too much. It's pretty basic but does the job if you need a browser on the go. I've used that for free when the cell phone was $2 a MB in Canada.

Calibre is a free software that converts formats. No need for 2 readers, just convert. I've had to convert a lot when I switched over to kindle and never any problems. I love my kindle keyboard version and would recommend over the nook. Also if it's connected to an amazon prime account it now has free lending. Also the keyboard version has free 3G web browsing but don't expect too much. It's pretty basic but does the job if you need a browser on the go. I've used that for free when the cell phone was $2 a MB in Canada.

Some of my books are not able to be converted thru Calibre. I have already tried.

You can't convert any book that is drm protected. Any book bought from amazon, sony, barnes and noble, borders, etc are drm protected. The only ones that aren't are either pirated copies or free ones anyway. There is a new plug in for calibre that strips the drm, but calibre doesn't endorse it since it isn't legal.

Some of my books are not able to be converted thru Calibre. I have already tried.