Long Haul Camping the Gottadeal way.

jaymacfla

Hello all! I am in the process of uploading a short video for those who have heard about those of us that camp, have seen the tents, but have never had the back-story to just what goes into group camp-outs. Most of the hardcore campers do so at Best Buy, so that takes a bit of preperation, especially if you bring most of the gear. The attempt here was to show you what it takes to get 6-10 people ready for Black Friday. [video=youtube_share;wll6GGuzy5k]http-~~-//youtu.be/wll6GGuzy5k

I hope you find it useful!

Jaymacfla

No where near that in depth myself. But bonus points to yourself.

Wardriving FTW!

I just bring blankets, tent, and some dry deep cycle batteries for power. No sense using gas when its cheaper to charge up a battery :) These days you can buy solor chargers to charge and or keep a charge.

Obviously generators supply much more juice, but for just laptops and tablets its perfect for a good 2 days on one battery for 2 laptops.

I wonder when you'd get in line if you lived here where it's been low 30's at night and 40's during the day?

All depends on the competition in your location. If you want to get the choice items you get in line first or as soon as you see others in line. Where I am it is expected to be in the 30s and 40s. I am always first and every year I show up about 3 or 4 hours before the time the prior year. Years ago you could show up 3pm Thursday and be one of the first, now you have to arrive before the sun comes up to be first. It's also a special situation in that my location is mall property and they will not let you line up any earlier. I received special permission for the time I intend to arrive by the director of security. Anyone else that arrives that early until I am set up will be told to leave or they will be arrested for trespassing. Know your location, do your recon, get to know the managers in Best Buy and security if it applies.

I second that. Madison, WI here. 5 hours is quite a while in negative wind chill temperatures.

Been there, done that... That's why you prepare the proper equipment. One of the best investments I ever made for BF was the $100 I invested in a portable propane heater. I have people every year coming over asking to warm up for just a few minutes because they can no longer feel their hands and toes.

Hello all! I am in the process of uploading a short video for those who have heard about those of us that camp, have seen the tents, but have never had the back-story to just what goes into group camp-outs. Most of the hardcore campers do so at Best Buy, so that takes a bit of preperation, especially if you bring most of the gear. The attempt here was to show you what it takes to get 6-10 people ready for Black Friday. [video=youtube_share;wll6GGuzy5k]http-~~-//youtu.be/wll6GGuzy5k

I hope you find it useful!

Jaymacfla

Nice setup. Unfortuneately my location doesn't allow tents, generators, or grills, lol. My biggest question... WHERE THE HECK DO YOU PUT YOUR PURCHASES AFTER YOU GET IN THE STORE WITH THAT MUCH STUFF??? lol If my location would allow I'd love to bring my generator and tents. Of course then my next step would be a 32" (minimum) tv, Xbox, etc.

Nice setup. Unfortuneately my location doesn't allow tents, generators, or grills, lol. My biggest question... WHERE THE HECK DO YOU PUT YOUR PURCHASES AFTER YOU GET IN THE STORE WITH THAT MUCH STUFF??? lol If my location would allow I'd love to bring my generator and tents. Of course then my next step would be a 32" (minimum) tv, Xbox, etc.

Excellent question! We have a group of people, so the camping supplies are mainly my duty and they can transport overly large items like TVs. Most friends pick up items at the store, so between us, and the two vehicles I take, it works out well. i can also borrow a church trailer if needed.

All depends on the competition in your location. If you want to get the choice items you get in line first or as soon as you see others in line. Where I am it is expected to be in the 30s and 40s. I am always first and every year I show up about 3 or 4 hours before the time the prior year. Years ago you could show up 3pm Thursday and be one of the first, now you have to arrive before the sun comes up to be first. It's also a special situation in that my location is mall property and they will not let you line up any earlier. I received special permission for the time I intend to arrive by the director of security. Anyone else that arrives that early until I am set up will be told to leave or they will be arrested for trespassing. Know your location, do your recon, get to know the managers in Best Buy and security if it applies.

Competition can be heady at times. That is why i do not divulge my arrival time! It also pays to talk to the proper people as you stated, as it gives you a leg up on the crowd.

Been there, done that... That's why you prepare the proper equipment. One of the best investments I ever made for BF was the $100 I invested in a portable propane heater. I have people every year coming over asking to warm up for just a few minutes because they can no longer feel their hands and toes.

You may have noticed mine, which is actually a small stove, but heats just as well.

But would you, in NY, get in line this weekend for BF and spend not just 24 hours outside but 5+ nights in this weather?

But would you, in NY, get in line this weekend for BF and spend not just 24 hours outside but 5+ nights in this weather?

If it meant getting the same advantage as i enjoy here, then yes! I used to live in Western New York, in a little town Called Marilla. It is very close to East Aurora. Some may recognize that name, because it was the home of Fisher Price Toys before Mattel bought them.

I respect those who have it hard. I know how cold it can get there, and we have it relatively easy here. In respect to the northern climes, it is extremely humane to open at a more hospitable hour, and nobody has touched on this aspect. It is a very smart move considering customers over opening times. I can still remember Indian Summers giving way to blinding, lake effect snow storms off of the great lakes. I was there for the Blizzard of'77-'78. Then in March, there was an ice storm. I strapped on my ice skates and skated up and down the streets. Good times!

Edited by jaymacfla