Nike Running sensor for Ipod

copados1993

My dear husband picked up new running sneakers today for our son for Christmas that he has wanted. They are the Nike sneakers that you can use the ipod sensor with. Our son LOVES to run and my husband thought this could be a cool addition. Any thoughts on this? Does the sensor really work? Would you stick it in the shoes or wrap it in a seperate gift?

I have the nike+ sensor.

1. Does your son have an iPod Nano, iPod touch or iPhone? These are the only apple products the sensor talks to.

1a. If he only has the Nano, make sure you get the Nano adapter!

2. Yes, the sensor really does work. He may need to calibrate it first - I took my sensor first to a treadmill, and then when I got an iPhone, I calibrated it a second time on a track to make sure my distances were absolutely spot on. At first it was adding an extra 0.60 of a mile before calibration, after I'm maybe off by .03 of a mile.

HOWEVER:

I do not have the Nike shoes (I don't like Nike running shoes, my personal preference.) My sensor is clipped to the front of my shoes on my laces, but it should work perfectly with the Nike+ shoes.

I would make it a separate gift! I really like it - it really helps me to track my runs, see my times (especially when I'm running on the streets), and my progress. The only drawback is that he always has to carry his iphone/ipod with him when he runs, unless you get the nike wristband. (http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_EMEA/sportband) I usually like to take my phone so I can listen to music while I run, but some people don't like having to hold things (I have a running fanny pack.)

You get cool graphs like this:

http://x4e.xanga.com/2c8e1b0748335278940976/b222203370.jpg

I have the nike+ sensor.

1. Does your son have an iPod Nano, iPod touch or iPhone? These are the only apple products the sensor talks to.

1a. If he only has the Nano, make sure you get the Nano adapter!

2. Yes, the sensor really does work. He may need to calibrate it first - I took my sensor first to a treadmill, and then when I got an iPhone, I calibrated it a second time on a track to make sure my distances were absolutely spot on. At first it was adding an extra 0.60 of a mile before calibration, after I'm maybe off by .03 of a mile.

HOWEVER:

I do not have the Nike shoes (I don't like Nike running shoes, my personal preference.) My sensor is clipped to the front of my shoes on my laces, but it should work perfectly with the Nike+ shoes.

I would make it a separate gift! I really like it - it really helps me to track my runs, see my times (especially when I'm running on the streets), and my progress. The only drawback is that he always has to carry his iphone/ipod with him when he runs, unless you get the nike wristband. (http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_EMEA/sportband) I usually like to take my phone so I can listen to music while I run, but some people don't like having to hold things (I have a running fanny pack.)

You get cool graphs like this:

Santa is bringing him an iphone for Christmas so this will be perfect! He has an ipod, but it has started acting up. So this should be awesome! My husband had suggested we get him the armband for the phone. This is what he has used with his ipod and it has worked really well.

Your review of this and all of your info was fantastic. Do you mind if I ask you how long you have had yours for? I am really excited for him to have this!

And again...

Thank you for your info!

Santa is bringing him an iphone for Christmas so this will be perfect! He has an ipod, but it has started acting up. So this should be awesome! My husband had suggested we get him the armband for the phone. This is what he has used with his ipod and it has worked really well.

Your review of this and all of your info was fantastic. Do you mind if I ask you how long you have had yours for? I am really excited for him to have this!

And again...

Thank you for your info!

No problem. And if he's used to the armband, then the armband shouldn't be a problem!

I've had mine for over a year. I haven't run out of battery yet. If he will wear the shoes when he's not running, he might want to take the sensor out so it doesn't "eat" up battery. I'm determined to keep mine until the battery dies. It allegedly has a range of 1000 miles but I've heard stories of it being used up faster.

You also have another option, since you are getting him an iPhone - the Nike+ GPS app. I think it's 1.99 or 2.99 and it does NOT require the sensor. It will figure out distance based on GPS and then figure out splits from there. If you are running on a treadmill I think you manually punch in the distance. I'm too cheap to pay for the app. :tongue1: Maybe when my sensor dies. The Nike+ app comes pre-installed on the iPhone.

I have a nano 6th generation - would I still need an adaptor? I am really excited about this idea - I thought I had to have Nike shoes to use Nike+ and I'm NOT giving up my Brooks!

I'm getting two answers on google, which is driving me crazy! A bunch of people complaining (from a year ago however) that they needed both the sensor and the receiver.

However, this site says you don't need either:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-376882/pgid-385682

As does this:

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html#fitness

Check if your Nano has the Nike+ in there (I think it's under fitness) and give it a test run or walk (on a treadmill or track so that you know your distance is accurate) and see how the numbers come up.

If you are a runner, I'd get the sensor, because it'd be more accurate. If you are a walker, and using the Nano to count steps, then it seems pretty accurate.

Nope! You don't need Nike+ shoes! Although Nike would like you to believe this :-D

I use this pouch:

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sportsuit-Sensor-Sport-Black/dp/B000ID6DTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321671504&sr=8-1

On my previous pair of shoes, I was actually able to wedge the sensor in my shoelaces, and it didn't move. My current pair of shoes doesn't have the laces as close, so I had to use the pouch. Try taking a test walk with the sensor in your shoelaces first though - I nearly lost my sensor the first day I walked in my current shoes. Just make sure the sensor is oriented in the correct direction when you have it on your laces, and put it towards the front of your shoes.

I do want to say, if anyone is considering starting running or even serious walking:

Last year, I picked Nike+ up at the recommendation of my sister. I used it to track my runs, since I needed something visual to help me figure out my progress, keep me on track, and keep me accountable. I was in horrible shape, and I could barely run a mile. After a year of consistent running, along with running a couple of 5ks and one 10k this year, I completed my first half marathon in October. It really has worked for me, along with just making sure I schedule time to run in my week, since I work a regular job, plus other activities (I don't have kids.) My favorite new habit is getting up early on Saturday morning for longish runs, with no half marathon training, I'm aiming for 4-5 miles each time at minimum.

I love how technology has aided me. There are options if you have a smart phone and you don't want to get the Nike+ sensor or buy the Nike+ GPS app - there are many free apps, such as runkeeper that do the same thing, they just don't have the same (large, crazy Nike people) community behind them.