STATEMENT: Black Friday Midnight Opening and Our Employees

bigjimslade

STATEMENT: Black Friday Midnight Opening and Our Employees

MINNEAPOLIS - Nov. 17, 2011 - As a retailer, Black Friday is an important moment each year for our business at Best Buy. We equally recognize the important role of our employees in bringing a terrific shopping experience to our customers.

This year, customers have told us - and our competitors - that they plan to shop on Thanksgiving Day, and earlier than ever on Black Friday. We therefore made the difficult decision to move our opening Black Friday to midnight. We know this decision changes Thanksgiving plans for some of our employees, and we empathize with those who are affected. Our people play a critical role in delivering an amazing Black Friday experience for customers, including incredible doorbuster deals.

We very much appreciate our employees, who are ready on Black Friday and every other day to present the best price, convenience, value and services. We take input from our employees seriously; we will continue to connect with them, to listen to their concerns, and to consider their input in our approach to this and future holiday seasons.

The holiday season has always been a busy time for our retail employees. The best thing we can do, each day, is to help our company grow, so we can continue to provide good jobs through the continuation of great customer experiences.

Thankfully, in the United States we have a choice where we work. Those who are discouraged because they have to work a holiday should seriously consider changing careers. Anyone who is not in the retail industry and thinks sales such as this on holidays are wrong should seriously consider not shopping on holidays. We have choices in the good ol' USA!!!!

having a choice doesn't make it right. Some people do the black friday out of need not want. The low prices allow them to have the type of Christmas they enjoy and can afford. The employees, I'm sure, value their job and aren't going to quit because of a few inconvenient nights. Still, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be upset the retailers are opening even earlier to line their corporate pockets. This statement is crap. People who have been paying attention know the difference in where the money is spent, AND IT ISN'T THE POOR FOLKS WORKING THE STORES! I am fortunate to have a great job that gives me my holiday's off. But, that doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the people working. And, it doesn't mean I'm going to miss out on deals on Black Friday. But, I'd be going if it starts at midnight, 3 a.m. 6.a.m or anytime between or after.

Why does everyone keep saying people have a choice on where to work??? The recession is still going on...there are people with Master's degrees who are flipping burgers and working retail. There are NOT a lot of job choices right now

Don't get me wrong, I understand the nature of the beast...I was a retail manager for many years, and I worked as a sales associate for several years as well. Black Friday is a non-negotable work day that every retail person must get through or loose their job. However, as the Big Box Stores are changing the typical routine of BF, I do feel the employees have a right to feel a bit disgruntled. For years BF started around 5am, so stores opening at midnight or earlier ARE major changes that DO affect everyone; employee and customer alike.

The ONLY way to change this trend is to vote with your wallet, but as I stated above, we are still in a recession and people are struggling. Customers are going to shop during the sales because they need to make their dollar stretch as far as it can...but that doesn't mean they will all like the new hours either

peace friends...

good post, boyzmom....another Michigander like myself that realizes the Recession never ended here.

How early is too early anymore? Will BF become the day of Thanksgiving? Day before? Black friday week? I need the good deals as much as everyone, but it is becoming complicated to keep track of all the store openings and gimmicks.

I would think that if you work for a retail store, you have some knowledge that it will be open for black friday. When I was a nurse, I covered many a Christmas and Thanksgiving shifts, before I had kids so the ones that did have kids could be at home with their kids. All in all there are some professions and jobs that require someone to be there. At least they are not opening up at 7am on Thanksgiving day like Big Lots.

yeah Christina its WORSE!!!Kmart is opening up at 6am on Thansgiving day.Thats a shame but ill be there.

Oh wow! I didn't know about Kmarts hours! Fortunately, I have done most of my shopping online with the exception of going to Target to get an ipod. I love amazon prime and kohls! Maybe it's not just time yet but I thought there were better deals in previous years for amazon's lightening deals.

Here is my personal take on the situation:

Best Buy is hurting. There are market indicators that show their market share is in rapid decline. Any person who has access to the internet can pull up this info and the myriad of conjecture stories that surround the ultimate demise of Best Buy if they do not pull out of this downward trend. Employees who do not recognize the importance of their beloved company's bottom line are only helping to contribute to that decline. Remember when loyalty meant something? Instead, all we hear is whining and complaining and petitions circulating around. I firmly believe that this now proves once and for all that Walmart and Target, coupled with the online monster Amazon are Best Buy's major competition. They can no longer fool the public and some people here to that extent that the previously mentioned stores are not major contributors to that decline in sales. For once, Best Buy is trying to show what we knew they were capable of long ago. A great showing in an economy which needs a leader in the industry with a sale that all will remember long into the next year. For those employees who are away from their loved ones on Thanksgiving, we feel for you, but your company needs you in it's hour of need and they are counting on you to help them. Do not demonize the customer as some other Best Buy employees have done. They are your bread and butter, and your very job depends upon your daily performance and your treatment of them. We appreciate all that you do, so make us proud!

This part if the statement says it best: "The holiday season has always been a busy time for our retail employees. The best thing we can do, each day, is to help our company grow, so we can continue to provide good jobs through the continuation of great customer experiences."

Edited by jaymacfla

I agree it sucks for the employees but I came to accept many years ago that life isn't fair and right doesn't ALWAYS win over wrong. We either accept things and move on or just let it fester and become bitter about it. If anything they learn that to have any semblance of a holiday they need to request the day off ASAP(like now for next year,if even possible).

I would love to stroll out of the house leisurely sometime after 6am(my usual wake up time) and find awesome deals any day of the week but I accept it's not going to happen. As it is, I do my best to make sure I get to Target(and stalk these boards like nuts) when they're doing their toy clearance to ensure I have less to worry about on BF. I look at the toy deals this year and find them ridiculous because I have so many brand name toys I bought at 75% off. A deal is a BONUS and nobody should expect it, there are great sale opportunities many times throughout the year if you just look.

BF was created to push people to shop and it still does that. I'm sure when it started 6-7 am didn't seem like a suitable hour to be up and at stores but it has evolved like everything else in life.

I suppose stores could do it online only (and then only force the phone reps to work) but they count on people actually walking through stores and picking up stuff that wasn't on the list which is less likely on a website.

Here is my personal take on the situation:

Best Buy is hurting. There are market indicators that show their market share is in rapid decline. Any person who has access to the internet can pull up this info and the myriad of conjecture stories that surround the ultimate demise of Best Buy if they do not pull out of this downward trend. Employees who do not recognize the importance of their beloved company's bottom line are only helping to contribute to that decline. Remember when loyalty meant something? Instead, all we hear is whining and complaining and petitions circulating around. I firmly believe that this now proves once and for all that Walmart and Target, coupled with the online monster Amazon are Best Buy's major competition. They can no longer fool the public and some people here to that extent that the previously mentioned stores are not major contributors to that decline in sales. For once, Best Buy is trying to show what we knew they were capable of long ago. A great showing in an economy which needs a leader in the industry with a sale that all will remember long into the next year. For those employees who are away from their loved ones on Thanksgiving, we feel for you, but your company needs you in it's hour of need and they are counting on you to help them. Do not demonize the customer as some other Best Buy employees have done. They are your bread and butter, and your very job depends upon your daily performance and your treatment of them. We appreciate all that you do, so make us proud!

This part if the statement says it best: "The holiday season has always been a busy time for our retail employees. The best thing we can do, each day, is to help our company grow, so we can continue to provide good jobs through the continuation of great customer experiences."

Well, have you seen the absurd salaries of the CEO and other "higher ups"? I don't buy them needing to open at midnight. With that ad, they could open on Saturday and have the same size line and make the same profit as midnight.

Well, have you seen the absurd salaries of the CEO and other "higher ups"? I don't buy them needing to open at midnight. With that ad, they could open on Saturday and have the same size line and make the same profit as midnight.

LOL...It's a need based upon their wishes. If CEO's didn't take such a large cut the world would be a different place.

I ,for one, would probably still have a job along with several dept's ,my ex employer condensed to out of state locations because the CEO and VP took so much cash. We probably would have also been able to get raises ourselves for the last 2 years too but who's complaining:P Nobody cares about the lowly employees who put on the happy face and ACTUALLY deal with customers, it's all about the bottom line in THEIR pockets.

having a choice doesn't make it right. Some people do the black friday out of need not want. The low prices allow them to have the type of Christmas they enjoy and can afford.

NEEDS are things like food, shelter, clothing, and medical care. Electronics and all the rest are just WANTS. I've never met a person who needed a flat-panel TV just to stay alive.

NEEDS are things like food, shelter, clothing, and medical care. Electronics and all the rest are just WANTS. I've never met a person who needed a flat-panel TV just to stay alive.

It depends on the context of "need". When saying "need" to live, you are correct. When saying "need" to make it "WHAT YOU WANT", that is a different need. It's the action that is important here. By saying "need for the type of Christmas they can enjoy and afford, it's not saying "need to live."

Basic comprehension.

I am not a fan of the opening times .. but it is what it is ... the company chooses it's hours and unfortunately the employees have to work them. I have worked several jobs that are 24-7 and have worked many a holiday. I realize that I accepted a job in that profession, just like others have accepted a job in retail and it comes with the territory. I know many will say, but they didn't know that when they applied, but it's just like the many holidays I was actually scheduled off, but something happened and they wanted to increase staffing and I had to come in and work anyway. It's the nature to of the beast ... To be honest, this affects me the shopper more than it does the employees - I have a friend who works in retail at a store that opens at midnight this year ... she is going to be with her family all day, eat dinner with them, take a nap, and come to work at 11p.m. Because I want to get some of these deals, I will probably be sitting at Best Buy all day instead of being with the family at Thanksgiving dinner .. but, I have 3 kids and a small budget for each of them for Christmas ... so sitting there to get the $79 TV and a few other things almost doubles the amount of things they get this year .. to me it's worth it and I'll do it ... if I didn't want to, I wouldn't .....