XBox 360 Questions

tn20

Hello everyone!

I am considering buying my two sons, ages 9 and almost 6, an XBox 360 this year for Christmas. Money is pretty tight, so it's a stretch, but I would rather get them something nice that they will love then buy a bunch of little gifts that they play with a couple times and that's it.

I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! First, will the 4GB XBox be sufficient for 2 kids playing mostly the Kinect and Lego games? If we "need" the 250GB, I think it would put the system out of our budget, but I don't want to get a system that isn't "good enough." Second, I see that Amazon and Walmart (tomorrow) are having deals where you get the 4GB, Kinect, and game for $299, plus you get a $50 gift certificate. Should I jump on this deal, or will there likely be a better deal on Black Friday, or closer to Christmas? I know that the deals are typically the same price up front, but then you get a gift card or extras, so I plan on spending the $299, but I would really like to get the most bang for my buck, especially because I won't have the money to buy any of the extras.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMHO the smaller GB would be fine for them. Can I ask why the Xbox? I would think there would be a bigger GC offer on BF but then you'd run the chance of not being in line fast enough to grab one. If your Amazon account does not charge you tax (I am in NM and don't get charged tax by amazon) I would think that would be a great incentive to go with them (we have a pretty low tax rate and it would save me nearly $25!). Plus free shipping :D

Also maybe browse the used games section of Amazon, I've never had any issues with buying used games on there before :)

Thanks for your quick response, mom2monkies! I am thinking about the Xbox because the Kinect looks really neat... plus, my step-dad has one and my boys love it. :) I am in a sales-tax free state, so I don't need to worry about sales tax anywhere, thankfully! (Although I don't say that when I pay my property taxes!) Thank you SOO much for the link to the Best Buy deal... that's AWESOME!!! The $100 gift card will pay for a second controller and a game!!! And thanks for the tip about used games on Amazon... I didn't even know they had them!

I got my XBox 2 years ago and paid $200 (without Kinect) and received a $100 gift card. I then bought the expandable hard drive to make it 250 GB memory. I bought the starter bundle off Amazon which came with the harddrive, xbox live time (3 months maybe) and the headphone set ($90 at the time and $50 now). So, you can always go with the 4GB and if it fills up, add the expandable at any time. With the $100 GC that makes it still cheaper than the 250GB version.

For your needs, I would suggest waiting to see if it's needed and use the money toward a second controller and/or games now.

Amazon has a B2G1 sale with a few Kinect games in it and lots of regular Xbox. Lego Star Wars 3 is in it. You can mix and match all consoles too if they have DS's or something else.

As for used games, Gamestop sells used games and almost always has a valid code for 16% off anything used. Right now it's CAG16 I think. Free shipping over $25 too. They also warranty their used games. I always get the gamestop used games unless new is really discounted. They sell used controllers too. There are some small no name sites that sell refurbed controllers for $20. I bought one with no problems.

Hello everyone!

I am considering buying my two sons, ages 9 and almost 6, an XBox 360 this year for Christmas. Money is pretty tight, so it's a stretch, but I would rather get them something nice that they will love then buy a bunch of little gifts that they play with a couple times and that's it.

I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! First, will the 4GB XBox be sufficient for 2 kids playing mostly the Kinect and Lego games? If we "need" the 250GB, I think it would put the system out of our budget, but I don't want to get a system that isn't "good enough." Second, I see that Amazon and Walmart (tomorrow) are having deals where you get the 4GB, Kinect, and game for $299, plus you get a $50 gift certificate. Should I jump on this deal, or will there likely be a better deal on Black Friday, or closer to Christmas? I know that the deals are typically the same price up front, but then you get a gift card or extras, so I plan on spending the $299, but I would really like to get the most bang for my buck, especially because I won't have the money to buy any of the extras.

Thanks in advance for any help!

i personally would be all over that BB $299 one.The kinects alone is $150.So you getting a Xbox for $150 which the 4gb is plenty for kids of that age,The bigger memory is used for kids like my son that play the Halo wars and all the hard core games where memory is a factor for storing stuff.BTW you can get a used hard drive later on from gamestop for like $50 bucks.My son has the 240 GB and like 200 games and still hasnt used up the memory.In fact before we upgraded he had the 60 gb memory and never filled it up.Your boys will be so happy christmas morning seeing the xbox with kinects.We love it better than the Wii.

THANK YOU Angleyez, Deal Grabber, and mom2monkies, SOOOO MUCH!!! My boys are going to be so excited on Christmas morning, thanks to you guys!

Angleyez: I'm going to look at the buy 2, get 1 free deal on Amazon, and also Gamestop... thanks for the heads-up!

Deal Grabber: Thanks for all the info! I feel better about going with the 4GB after reading your info... and great tip about buying a used hard drive later if we need to upgrade!

Mom2monkies: I seriously wish I could hug you right now! I was just about to complete my checkout with Best Buy, when I decided to double check this thread and saw your Amazon post! I am so excited right now!!! I will have a much easier time using a $100 Amazon credit... hopefully I can find some great deals to use it on and get a few more things under the tree.

You are all amazing and I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me!

B2G1 ends tomorrow. If you have prime, you may even have your $100 promo by then. Here's the link, when it moved it was hard to find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_358043902_2?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000741821&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1GSK8H8TJ1MZF3Y3E0Y8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1328513802&pf_rd_i=468642

I just wanted to add that the game it comes with kind of sucks. It's the regular game the kinect alone comes with, like an introduction game. It's only like $3 on gamestop used. It will be fun for a little bit but make sure you have something else kinect for them. There is another thread about good kinect games, I posted some ideas there (Kinect Sports 1 is good, but 2 had bad reviews). I highly suggest you read reviews. Some work really well and others just don't communicate with the camera well.

Don't forget about craigslist, we sell and buy alot of games from there, people play them then get bored, can buy fairly new games for a third or more of the price. Also don't forget the Target Clearance section in electronics, I always see Xbox360 games for younger kids in there

My thing with the 4gb vs the 250gb is they can't really save any progress on the 4gb one. As the 9yr gets only and plays other games he can't really save that much on there. The system is self takes 2gb to run. So later on you might have to add storage to it anyways. Just something to keep in mind. That is why I choose the 250gb one. I actually returned to Walmart and exchanged it.

eta: should of read the rest of the posts on here....

You have gotten some GREAT advice!!!

As for the used games, I have also bought a game or two from the used section at Amazon, well actually Amazon Warehouse deals - no issues. Besides that and craigslist, a couple other of cheap game ideas: rent from Redbox (though not all Redboxes carry games yet, and its' really limited), check with your local city/town libary (ours has something similar to a redbox thingy, but its' free and it carries video games and movies).

I bet Blockbuster will come out with a gift card deal (like you buy X amount and you get X amount bonus/free) - that might be another good idea for getting/borrowing games.

One thing w/ the Xbox that I suggest not gettng suckered in to: Xbox Live memberships directly through Microsoft. Ugh! If your kids want LIVE (use the trial that will come w/your bundle first to see if they like it/use it), it is cheaper to buy 12 month membership cards when they go on sale - since it's holiday time, there should be some good deals.

Last but not least: VIDEO RECORD them when they open the Xbox bundle on your holiday morning/when you give it to them. It will be a precious video for a lifetime (their expressions/exclamations/uncontained excitement)

So mad b/c I missed it too. I waited b/c it said they would offer it until 11pm tonight....well not so! I called and customer service said after so many units are sold they stop the promo. Wish they wouldn't of put a deadline on it b/c that made me believe it would be offered until then. Otherwise I would of ordered right away b/c I know prices change quickly on Amazon.

If you're concerned about storage space you can save their game progress on a usb flash drive. DH plays the Halo games and has been re-playing Mass Effect 2. He hasn't had any issues saving progress on a usb flash drive and the best part? They're inexpensive.

Thanks yellowjeepster, I'm so mad at myself....I have bad timing... gonna ask hubby if he thinks we should wait it out closer to BF or jump tonight on BB. I know the tax savings is almos 30 dollars if we'd use AMAXON.... *sigh*

Maybe you should go ahead and get the deal at BB and if something better comes along you can return it and their gift card. I know Amazon returns wouldn't make since b/c you have to pay to ship back.

Maybe you should go ahead and get the deal at BB and if something better comes along you can return it and their gift card. I know Amazon returns wouldn't make since b/c you have to pay to ship back.

We got it! Husband went TO Best Buy to look at it, mull it over. Hope we don't have regrets. I can deal with losing like 20 or 30 dollars if it means not stressing about it on BF, especially with all the midnight openings, but if it's advertised a great deal cheaper, it'd definitely bother me, LOL> We purchased BB gift cards at our supermarket that gives us money off fuel, so it helped us in this way, but there is no turning back, as we had to buy 400.oo worth of BB giftcards and would be STUCK with them if we'd return it..

Thanks for your help peeps, we're gonna be having fun this winter :fluffy: playing xbox

Ok I forgot to ask if anyone else went and ordered theirs in a store?

My DH went to BB and got the bundle as pictured online, PLUS ANOTHER game, the Carnival Games disc was INCLUDED!

Unless the photo is wrong, or perhaps it is because he went INTO the B & M store, they had an extra incentive???...so where I lost out on "no tax" feature of Amazon, we gained a game--I was happy because I know my son will like that game.. Thanks fellow GOTTADEALers

I'm just curious if its the actual game, or the digital download because amazon's bundle comes with a digital download of the carnival game. Wait, which bundle did you get? The 4gb or the 250gb? The carnival game digital download came with the 250 gb on amazon is what I meant. Glad you were able to get a system for your family!

I'm just curious if its the actual game, or the digital download because amazon's bundle comes with a digital download of the carnival game. Wait, which bundle did you get? The 4gb or the 250gb? The carnival game digital download came with the 250 gb on amazon is what I meant. Glad you were able to get a system for your family!

OOOH

Thanks, perhaps it is digital, I haven't inspected it yet, DH bought it, brought home and HID immediately we have some nebby kids. Does it do Less/have fewer features if it is only Digital game?

Ok, I also have Xbox questions. I bought the 250gb holiday bundle. What else do I need (besides games) so that on christmas morning, both ds's can play with minimal set-up? I assume I need to buy another controller, but what are all these headsets and cables for? What are the minimal things I should buy for the batman arkham game? That is the main one my ds11 wants. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

One thing w/ the Xbox that I suggest not gettng suckered in to: Xbox Live memberships directly through Microsoft. Ugh! If your kids want LIVE (use the trial that will come w/your bundle first to see if they like it/use it), it is cheaper to buy 12 month membership cards when they go on sale - since it's holiday time, there should be some good deals.

Now that Walmart is out I saw a 3 month LIVE membership card for 12 dollars.... could you buy 4 of those and use them that way? and is 48 dollars good for a membership?

thanks