How Soon Till Best Buy Joins The Growing Number Of Retailers Opening At Midnight

TazErase

Years ago many retailers opened their doors at 7am or 8am Black Friday. Each year more and more retailers move their opening time earlier and earlier, and many are now opening at midnight. I would not be at all surprised to see that Best Buy opens earlier than the past few years (5am) and instead opens at 4am this year, or earlier. I think if they intended to open at midnight this year we would have heard something by now. This could put all prior plans and past proven techniques into total disarray. I know the mall where I go has rules that will not allow camping out too soon, but if it were to open midnight Thursday into Friday... I have no clue how soon they would allow people to line up at my location.

If you are in line at Best Buy all night you can't be shopping at any other store and may be likely to pick up items other than doorbusters while you are at Best Buy...

He is referring to Best Buy only. For those of us who are exclusive to Best Buy, it can either hurt or help, depending upon the local property ownership's policies.

He is referring to Best Buy only. For those of us who are exclusive to Best Buy, it can either hurt or help, depending upon the local property ownership's policies.

Exactly. If Best Buy opens early it is a game changer for me because a lot of my plans and prior recon work over the years is wasted. If everyone else opens early except Best Buy eventually it will cost BB customers. Fact is their main competitor at this point would probable be Walmart with Circuit City gone. Walmart joined the midnight club last year. This year Target, another Walmart competitor is opening at midnight. Toys R Us actually tried midnight and then switched to 10pm last year. At this rate Black Friday is going to start on Thanksgiving day with everyone trying to open first. Could also make it difficult to get to other stores for the deals if they are all opened before BB. I usually have a sort of schedule that after BB I run to other stores as they open. If I don't hit BB first, I won't even bother since the lines will be about 2 hours long unless you are smart and have someone jump right into the front and hold the spot by being the first into the store.

And isn't Kmart open Thanksgiving morning every year for a few hours? I think that I read on here that some Target stores in Texas are going to do the same thing this year and be open in the morning for a few hours on Thanksgiving. Are they testing it out for all Target stores next year?

Denver

And isn't Kmart open Thanksgiving morning every year for a few hours? I think that I read on here that some Target stores in Texas are going to do the same thing this year and be open in the morning for a few hours on Thanksgiving. Are they testing it out for all Target stores next year?

I think our KMart is open all day on Thanksgiving. I know I've stopped there after my annual T'giving trip to Meijer.

I even went to Sears last T'giving. Picked up some electric blankets for $15 iirc.

All of this time shifting nonsense makes me want to give up on BF altogether. Yep, I said it.

I was going to suggest that you shop at home in your pajamas online with some of us in the AM times - but then I forgot how hectic it is when trying to figure out what time the online sales start in MY time zone - I sure wish they'd all pick one specific time zone and call it good.

I was going to suggest that you shop at home in your pajamas online with some of us in the AM times - but then I forgot how hectic it is when trying to figure out what time the online sales start in MY time zone - I sure wish they'd all pick one specific time zone and call it good.

This is the reason I overslept last year:P I was up ALL night til about 4 and tried to get 1.5 hours sleep FORGETTING to set alarm. I woke up at 6 and rushed somewhere, Sears maybe for blanket sleepers not sure.

This is the reason I overslept last year:P I was up ALL night til about 4 and tried to get 1.5 hours sleep FORGETTING to set alarm. I woke up at 6 and rushed somewhere, Sears maybe for blanket sleepers not sure.

I think all the online shopping the last couple of years is what is driving the midnight openings.

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Best Buy will decide between Thursday and Friday to announce this. My only concern is the ads that are already in print with opening times.

A friend of mine that works at BestBuy has mentioned that usually there hours for Black Friday are in stone by now. Instead it says "TBA" for the first time. I'd say its almost certain they will open up at midnight.

I personally do not like these midnight openings. But I don't see retailers going back to the way it was. I see "Black Friday" being a term now instead of a actual day. Sad to see where things go just for retailers to try and capitalize on the term. In my mind the deals really haven't been that great in recent years.

In my mind the deals really haven't been that great in recent years.

I definitely agree. But from the retailer's point of view, where's the incentive to offer good deals anymore? If people will still line up and camp out overnight for some mediocre 10% savings or whatever, why should retailers lose more money offering better deals? In the 15+ years I've been going out on Black Friday, I've noticed the crowds have gotten bigger and bigger as the deals have gotten worse and worse. People are clearly rewarding retailers for offering lesser deals.

I went in BB this morning for a printer cartridge and I asked the checker and he said they were talking about opening at midnight at his morning employee meeting. Boy kid, he said he as only worked there for a couple weeks and has no idea how crazy it gets on bf. I wished him good luck and to eat lots of sugar and coffee before bf.