Christmas Decorations

HansieDZ

Probably like many of you, I have lots and lots of storage bins with all my Christmas stuff in them.

It seems like each year, after Christmas (but especially during the summer garage sale season) I buy many things for the next year's Christmas.

It's like Christmas morning in November when I start opening up Totes and saying,

"Ooooh! I forgot I bought this!"

My question is:

do the rest of you do a mix of Old and New decorations each year?

Or do you put out the same things you always have?

I pretty much like to stay with some of my old traditional decorations

(the kids will remind me that, "we have to put out such-and-such decoration or it wouldn't be Christmas!")

but like to add at least one new thing each year.

I can't wait to see how it all looks this year!

We have a few traditions but also add new ones each year. WE are huge disney fans so last year we decided to do only a disney tree. It came out amazing, In our kitchen we have mainly chef Christmas theme, and the rest of the house has alot of Christpoher Radko pieces which is a family tradition my mom started with me.

This past year though my dd9 convinced me to buy a pink Christmas tree for our dining room and we bought all girly pink ornaments. It should be interesting to see it for the first time this year all put together..lol

We have a few traditions but also add new ones each year. WE are huge disney fans so last year we decided to do only a disney tree. It came out amazing, In our kitchen we have mainly chef Christmas theme, and the rest of the house has alot of Christpoher Radko pieces which is a family tradition my mom started with me.

This past year though my dd9 convinced me to buy a pink Christmas tree for our dining room and we bought all girly pink ornaments. It should be interesting to see it for the first time this year all put together..lol

I've had a small pink and purple tree in my girls' room for the past couple of years.

It makes for a great night light!

Make sure you take pix of the "girl's" tree-

I bet you love it and think of the memories you all will have :)

After all,

Traditions have to start somewhere!

When moving a couple of months ago, came across a tote with ornaments that were given to me 20 + years ago, they looked so awful I realized I had been hanging on to them for memory sake but the memories were also as worn and better off in my mind. Dumped them at the curb and only brought the ornaments that are still nice enough to use. One day I might regret it but some of them hadn't been on a tree in over 10 years.

I have vowed when bringing stuff down THIS SEASON, 2011, to CLEAN out things I haven't used in last 2 years, and don't think I'll use in the next 2....because I just have too much. My mom gave me alot of stuff, and most of it I like, but I have bought a ton over the last decade. I tried to control myself, but I don't. Thing is 1-if my house were larger I wouldn't have to clear it out--can't move up our attic at all! and 2-if our house were larger, I'd likely have 5 or more trees set up and then most of the decorations WOULD BE used..

I just like too many themes/things. I like:

1 real "SHINY" type ornaments/expensive look,

2-plaid ribbons, pinecones/instruments, balls..,

3- a mix of ornaments/homemade and handed down from generations,

4-our favorite sports team decorated tree,

5-I really like gingerbread/candy cane type theme, and

6-SNOWMEN, PENGUINS/ icicles, etc..

7-also snowflakes/nature type.

I buy so many types of items and change it from year to year, but seems I always end up using a few things from a previous year and so everything has to come down the attic stairs and it takes too long. I really should categorize it all, but I just don't know if I can do that on my own...think I may go bonkers..

Anyone else this undecided/crazy for changing their tree every year?? it drives DH crazy as he never knows what boxes to bring down...

I did my " seasonal " downsizing last year.I had over 300 Santa's from 1" to 6ft.They would invade just before Thanksgiving and not leave until after New Years.....my family had me take the 6ft one out of the bathroom,it made them feel like someone watching all the time.....so I replaced him with a wreath that had a sensor ,it played music when you passed it .I hung it right over the toilet....the reactions were priceless !