legos and bike advice, please

kardomr

i've never had to buy legos. hoping to give a big container of all kinds of pieces, not the little kits for making one certain thing.

are they sold only in the kits?

are there ever any holiday sales?

is it a better deal to buy a bulk lot on ebay (about $30/500 pieces shipped) or to buy the fill your own containers at the lego store? (a store is about an hour away so i have no idea about that option.)

dh wants to buy dd a bike for xmas and has charged me with finding one on sale.

are bikes ever on sale in the dead of winter!? lol

tia!

:)r

The first question I woudl ask is how old is your child? They have tubs for smaller kids that they can assemble multiple things, For older kids they have sets that can usually make a few different options. There are always sales on legos during Christmas, tru just came off af some type of lego sale. I don't have an opinion on the lego store option, and yes, bikes are on sale too.

Here is a great starter set for LEGO. It comes with a bunch of different sized pieces, and a building platform. It's a great way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ultimate-Building-Set-Pieces/dp/B000NO9GT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319816777&sr=8-1

I find that Target usually has great sales on LEGOs quite often (my store also has the set mentioned above), but usally for the sets that build something specific. ToysRUs have frequent sales, but their prices are more expensive to begin with, so even after sales, you still get a better deal at Target.

As far as the bike, if your daughter is little, you can get reasonably priced bikes at Walmart, Target, TRU... We got both of our boys bikes last year for less than $100 each.

thank you both.

the legos are for a 5 yo-- so the "regular" sized.

yes! a building set. that's what i was thinking. i've never seen those.

what sale price should i be waiting for?

we've priced 16" bikes at a bike store, walmart, target, and dicks. the bike store is probably the better bike but way expensive. we'd get a used one there...but target has a princess bike. guess which one dd5 would pick?! :)

thank you both.

the legos are for a 5 yo-- so the "regular" sized.

yes! a building set. that's what i was thinking. i've never seen those.

what sale price should i be waiting for?

we've priced 16" bikes at a bike store, walmart, target, and dicks. the bike store is probably the better bike but way expensive. we'd get a used one there...but target has a princess bike. guess which one dd5 would pick?! :)

No idea on the legos, but I would not spend a lot for a bike she will outgrow so fast. You will find lots of sales over the next few weeks and even on BF. Don't forget the helmet :)

TRU will do b1g1 1/2 off guaranteed before Christmas, and being a girl they would probably have more of a selection. They have a princess theme that's pink, I think. Target will discount the less expensive sets usually 2.00-5.00 off. I would watch amazon also. I think TRU has bikes in their big toy book on sale for 10.00 off, and the coupon on the front is 10.00 off 100.00 purchase. I would check that ad also.

My son who is 26 collected legos. WHen he was done making the huge item, he would take it apart and put it in a tub. When his brother was 5, he gave him the tub. My younger son now collects bionicles. He has bionicles all over his bedroom, I never bought the big tubs, because they liked reading the instructions to make the big item and it was a good learning thing . He is 14 now, and still buys bionicles. I am now buying them for my grandson 9. I buy them on clearance on amazon mostly, because the sets they want are around 90. For a 5 year old, the big tub would be a good start.

TRU will do b1g1 1/2 off guaranteed before Christmas, and being a girl they would probably have more of a selection. ...I think TRU has bikes in their big toy book on sale for 10.00 off, and the coupon on the front is 10.00 off 100.00 purchase. I would check that ad also.

amazing how there are girl and boy legos and tinkertoys now, eh?

the legos aren't for her. she inherited an awesome collection of legos from a neighbor. they're for her bf who's a boy and loves to play with them.

i might have thrown the tru toy catalog away?... or maybe i haven't seen it yet?

i know i don't actually have one. how would i put my little hands on one?

The fill your own lego buckets are expensive. If you want to buy sets best options are TRU sales, Fred Meyer sales (if you have one) and sometimes Amazon depending on which types of sets.

For random pieces the best deal is Ebay bulk because they have all the irregular stuff to get real creative and are a good price.

The retail random pieces are mostly different types of blocks (no wheels and all the irregular stuff).

We buy LOTS of legos. A good site for minifigures and stuff is bricklink.com. They have EVERYTHING lego you could possibly need, but they are individual people selling. Better for missing items.

i used a 40% off toy coupon stacked with a bn membership to buy a 300+ set that includes some cool pieces like wheels.

$11.

i'm sure bn is more expensive than other places....but i didn't want to take a chance cause that seemed like a good deal based on all your advice. (also in my budget. actually, dh thought it was over budget! lol!)

a bogo50% would be more than i wanted to buy.

course i'll keep the receipt and can always return it if target or tru comes up with something better. :)