Nintendo DSI or DSI-XL

Does anyone think with the new 3DS coming out that the price of the DSI or DSI-XL might drop? Would like to pick one of these up for my son. He got his DS Lite about 4 years ago and would like to upgrade. He does not like the 3DS. I am hoping for a price drop on Black Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that most of the ads are out I am very sad to see the year I've decided to buy my boys a DS that there are no GREAT deals (except for the 3D bundles but since my boys are 4 & 6 I wasn't considering those). Now what? I've already bought some games so I feel like I need to buy them now. I saw that 11/13-19th ToysRUs has a DSI XL bundle for $169.99 with a $25 gift card. Think I'll find anything better? And, I don't see getting them both the same bundle... grrr. Anyone seen anything else I should look at? Thoughts on something going on sale between now & Christmas??? Thanks for any input!

Niccole :g_thumble

If you like the 3DS deals, the 3D can be turned off which is recommended under 7, but just know it is just as easy for them to turn back on (slider control on the side of the device). I asked DS9 to limit his and he keeps it off on his own, by choice, most the time (doesn't like the 3D much) so it would depend on if your kids would listen to you or not.

Other than that I haven't followed the prices much. My only suggestion is get them both the same model of whatever you choose. My son got a lite first at around age 7, 18 months later little sis got a DSi and it caused a huge issue (hers was better). My son saved and bought his own 3DS in August and it caused another issue between them (his is better). Gotta love siblings :)

If you like the 3DS deals, the 3D can be turned off which is recommended under 7, but just know it is just as easy for them to turn back on (slider control on the side of the device). I asked DS9 to limit his and he keeps it off on his own, by choice, most the time (doesn't like the 3D much) so it would depend on if your kids would listen to you or not.

Other than that I haven't followed the prices much. My only suggestion is get them both the same model of whatever you choose. My son got a lite first at around age 7, 18 months later little sis got a DSi and it caused a huge issue (hers was better). My son saved and bought his own 3DS in August and it caused another issue between them (his is better). Gotta love siblings :)

This statement is true, however do remember that the regular DS games work with the 3DS, and do not play in 3D. That would be an option: if you don't want them to use the 3D right now, just buy the regular DS games and when they are ready for the 3D you could buy them the 3D games. DS13 likes the new design of the 3DS with the joystick style pad controller more than his DS Lite or DSI, and plays it most of the time. HTH.

I went to Radio Shack yesterday and bought a DSi for $69.97. Only the black one has been clearanced evidentally. You may want to call your local Radio Shacks and see if they still have any.

Where are you located? My local Radio Shack said they are sold out completely in this region and I couldn't find anything online. I'd be willing to call an out of area store to see if they would ship them to me. I need 2 of these and my husband said the boys will just have to do without at $150ish each. All I've bought them for Christmas is games to go with the game systems and clothes. So, needless to say I'm motivated to find something that will fit the budget. THANKS!

I live in Kentucky. I found out about the DSi when I searched milo.com. Try searching that site for the DSi.

Milo.com is an awesome site. Thank you for sharing! I did not find any in stock within 100 miles of my house or of any of my family or friends throughout the country. I sent a message to Radio Shack with a sob story and letting them know how awesome I'd be sure to tell everyone they are if they could get some shipped to me from a store that has them in stock. We will see! Crossing fingers! Thanks again for posting about the deal in the first place. Hoping I can score a few and be the Christmas hero for my kiddos.

If you have a Fry's in your area they have the regular ds $99 but for pick-up only. No shipping option available.

No Fry's in Colorado. Thanks, though!

Edited by NTBoard
added another response

Now that most of the ads are out I am very sad to see the year I've decided to buy my boys a DS that there are no GREAT deals (except for the 3D bundles but since my boys are 4 & 6 I wasn't considering those). Now what? I've already bought some games so I feel like I need to buy them now. I saw that 11/13-19th ToysRUs has a DSI XL bundle for $169.99 with a $25 gift card. Think I'll find anything better? And, I don't see getting them both the same bundle... grrr. Anyone seen anything else I should look at? Thoughts on something going on sale between now & Christmas??? Thanks for any input!

have you considered buying used from gamestop or ebay? If they are that young they probably won't notice the packaging as much as the ds itself. Several years ago DH bought DD a used DS on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a new one. He bought her a cool pokemon case that had a zippered pocket inside for games. We wrapped the whole thing as one package with the ds inside the pokemon case and the games inside the little zippered compartment. She had no idea it was used or that isn't how they are normally packaged. Not that she wasn't worth buying a new one but he found a heck of a deal and we had no idea how long it would last being handled by a young child.