Making the big jump to artificial.....any recommendations?

jskarp

Because of family allergies we are making the jump to artificial. We always get a large full fraser or balsam fir tree (9 footer).....and I don't want to down size. Does anyone have a recommendations? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

I have one that is not pre-lit. I don't like them because if a light goes out and you can not figure out which one. You will have a whole section that will not light up. And you will have to get a new tree. Where if you have a not pre-lit one you can get just a new strand of lights.

I think you just have to see them displayed and read reviews THEN choose based on your preferences. We got one at Target after xmas a few years ago, I think it's not prelit but either way if a strand of lights goes out you either just unplug or throw on matching lights(multi color or white).

We had to make the switch last year after my little one's allergist looked like I had all of the sudden grown a third head when I said "would a live tree be okay", it is not like i was going to get one I KNEW she was allergic to. We got ours at Lowe's, after shopping around it was really the cheapest for the tree we wanted- which was an 8ft prelit that resembled a fir tree since that is what we always have had.

I think it's hard to buy the one's off t.v. - such as the shopping channels. They always look so much better than what they will look like in your house. It's hard to tell. I guess I would say If you are going to go artificial then get a nice one and make the investment - you'll be saving the money of not buying a $70 tree every year in the long run so the upfront money will pay off. So many artificial trees just look bad and are cheap so people have such a bad opinion of them. But you can get nice ones.

I second the no-pre lit tree. The do look nice, but if you ever want a different style of lights, or if they break then you are just out the whole tree.

Thank you everyone.....I have am looking at non pre-lit trees only because I love the "big" bulb lights...with a layer of white underneath. They seem very costly but I suppouse if you figure the $70 tree each.....hmmmmm.....need to keep looking!

I would go to the store and look at them undecorated, look for something that looks full. I bought my large one about 7-8 years ago from Sears 3-4 weeks before christmas. I got a really good deal as it was one of the last ones. I can't tell you who it's by anymore since the box died a couple years ago. NOW the bad of mine is that it's over 9' tall and at the base it's MUCH larger than the tree skirts I can find, plus it's not sectioned so we have to put each of the probably 150+ branches on it. Now the good, no one seems to be able to tell it's not real it looks that good, we've also put out some of those glade pine fresheners around it so you get the smell lol. OH and it takes a REALLY long time to decorate when we do it right (run the lights up one side of a branch down the other then on and on - got the tip from a pro decorator).

I would go to the store and look at them undecorated, look for something that looks full. I bought my large one about 7-8 years ago from Sears 3-4 weeks before christmas. I got a really good deal as it was one of the last ones. I can't tell you who it's by anymore since the box died a couple years ago. NOW the bad of mine is that it's over 9' tall and at the base it's MUCH larger than the tree skirts I can find, plus it's not sectioned so we have to put each of the probably 150+ branches on it. Now the good, no one seems to be able to tell it's not real it looks that good, we've also put out some of those glade pine fresheners around it so you get the smell lol. OH and it takes a REALLY long time to decorate when we do it right (run the lights up one side of a branch down the other then on and on - got the tip from a pro decorator).

About 12 yr ago I had a tree like that--- but I bought a tree too big for my living room truthfully ---had to move furniture to be able to display it right. It has alllllllll individual branches, took me about 5 hours to put it together (myself) and another 8 hours to do the lights. I too did all the light strands up and down and it looked great, plus was easy to get off/on, it was 7 1/2 feet and I used 1300 CLear lights on it. EVERYONE thought it was real, everyone loved it--but NO one believed I did it myself, and no one believed I used that many lights, but I took a picture of all the strands on the floor after I undecorated it...

I did it alone for 3 years, but another child came along, new, bigger furniture and I just don't have time or room. I LOOOOOOOOOVE that tree, the best artificial tree I ever saw at my house/friends/family.... glad I did it but wish I hadn't spent the money. I tried to sell, but NO one wants to buy as it is BIG, NOT prelit, and all individual branches... But it was grand to have such a lovely tree even if only for a few years. . .

But for my suggestions to the OP of this thread---and I have owned about 7 trees in the last 20 yr. and bought some I have returned...

1=MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE. . . Unless you don't care how much you spend/replace trees--then do as you please, but I would think of where I want the tree, FIRST choice, and then Second choice and what if I get new furniture and I'd arrange this way in 2 yr. time, will THIS tree I am looking at still fit? Make sure it could fit in a corner, that it doesn't stick out into archway/ high traffic area... I have a smaller house and really anything bigger than 42 inch base is out of the question...they just stick out too far in the room..

2-Do I love the color of green it is, does it look like a REAL pine tree? Do the needles look real? If you are really trying to make it look lush and real, and it doesn't, no amount of expensive ornaments will make the greenery look real... If that isn't important to you, then go for budget/your priorities first.

3- Pre--lit or unlit choice??? hmmm

I have had 3 prelits so far, 1 has issues, I only used it 3 years, it could be fixable, but I have tried finding the bad bulbs to no avail and so it is sitting in the attic and I want to throw it out....but we'll see. Another tree lasted 7 years before any burned out, and hubby fixed most of them/replaced them, etc... that is a smaller 4 ft tree... And the 3rd tree has been just fine for 4 years now...

Unlit gives you endless choices, I love changing things up, and so its nice to have unlit, but if you have any dexterity issues, or skin issues (eczema) alot of artificial needles have really irritated my hand/wrist/forearm when decorating...So much so that blotches have lasted a few days and 1 time I went to the doctor for it. . . So I prefer to only have to touch the tree for ornaments, garland...and fine tuning/putting together.

What I have done for past 2 years to one of my trees is add additional lights on my one prelit clear one... I have added 2 strands of red (took no time at all to put on) for a candy cane look and another time, added 2 strands of LED multicolor. Both looked lovely and I am undecided what I want to do this year. I do like multi alot but never find it bright enough in my opinion and so would only want multi WITH clear on the tree also..

I hope you find something to make your home beautiful. I wish I could be one of the shoppers who find a deal after holidays, but being that I now know what I know, and need to keep it 7 feet or less, and have a smaller diameter, I usually can't find one that is full and meets all the criteria I have...but then I usually have to take care of the kids on christmas break and really can't drag them out to many after xmas sales....

Thank you so much for all the info.....I will be putting it to very good use. I was afraid I might not get a good deal before Christmas but that may not be the case. I will be sure to post a pic as soon as it is decorated! Thanks again everyone :)