iPod advice needed

DD is planning to ask Santa for an iPod touch this year. She has been torn between the iPod touch or a laptop, but has opted for the iPod. I personally think the laptop would have been better, but maybe I am wrong. Not to mention I think both are a little much for a kid her age, but it seems everyone has them ... peer pressure already. At least she knows it is the only gift she will get. Since we have to pay the bill from Santa, we will have to put our money for a gift from us towards that ;) .

For a pre-teen what amount of memory on the iPod would be sufficient? She wants to listen to music, play games and use Skype. She has limited access to FB (with parental supervision) so that would be another an app needed. I want to make sure the 8gb would be sufficient. In addition, can the memory be upgraded later if needed? Is it pricey? Am I better off to get the bigger memory up front?

For the songs, can you download any MP3 song? Or do they only take iTunes?

Any advice would be helpful. Maybe I should push her to the laptop? Hmmm, I don't know what to do. Thoughts anyone?

You cannot add memory later. If you think she will use more memory buy it now. For me, the 8 GB is sufficient, for my DH and DS, not even close. How much music does she have? Is she going to download videos? There are new changes coming to the iPod world with the new iOS5, and I thought I heard something about you being able to upload your songs and have them convert them to iTunes songs at no extra charge, but I think that is only with the newest generation.

I would recommend the 16gb since memory cannot be added. Apps & music can always be removed to make more space but I think a tween would fill up 8gb fast. I've had mine for 18 mos & it's almost full but I'm a music lover.

You can upload your own CDs, use amazon, etc. for music, not only iTunes.

My DS has the 32gb. There is no longer a 16gb in the current generation. He originally had a 16gb 2nd generation and by the time it broke he was full. If you can swing it I would get the 32gb for her. Apps can take up a lot of space. My DD13 has had the 8gb for 2 years and hers is almost full She may be getting the 32gb this Xmas if I can find a good deal. Both my kids get music from all different places. Amazon, CDs it all uploads into Itunes to be put on the Ipod. Both my kids LOVE theirs and DS uses his more than he uses his computer. He sends and received email etc. Only uses his computer for school work.

We got both of our teens the 32GB last Christmas, and I'm glad we did. They both have a lot of music, different games and apps. They also use the touch as a camera a lot and photos can take up a chunk of memory, so consider that. They also download tv episodes and movies, but tend to keep those on their laptops and interchange them on the touch because they can hog memory.

I have a 16GB iPhone, only because I wasn't thinking when I bought it. If I was thinking I would have gotten the 32GB. I have about 600 songs and thousands of photos on it, but don't have a ton of apps. I normally have about 6GB left most of the time, unless I put a couple of tv episodes or a movie on it for a bit.

If it's something that your daughter is really going to use a lot, I would really recommend the highest memory you can afford.

ETA: They also both use the video camera. Those videos take up memory as well!

Have you thought about the new Amazon Kindle Fire tablet.? My 14 year old is very excited about it. Any music or media you buy from amazon is stored free in the cloud so no need for a huge storage. It's 199 right now on preorder and they are selling 50,000 a day. It is going to be a huge item at xmas time. I preordered my son's within 5 minutes of the link going live. It has lots of apps and stuff like the Ipod would and is more affordable than a laptop.

DD is planning to ask Santa for an iPod touch this year. She has been torn between the iPod touch or a laptop, but has opted for the iPod. I personally think the laptop would have been better, but maybe I am wrong. Not to mention I think both are a little much for a kid her age, but it seems everyone has them ... peer pressure already. At least she knows it is the only gift she will get. Since we have to pay the bill from Santa, we will have to put our money for a gift from us towards that ;) .

For a pre-teen what amount of memory on the iPod would be sufficient? She wants to listen to music, play games and use Skype. She has limited access to FB (with parental supervision) so that would be another an app needed. I want to make sure the 8gb would be sufficient. In addition, can the memory be upgraded later if needed? Is it pricey? Am I better off to get the bigger memory up front?

Any advice would be helpful. Maybe I should push her to the laptop? Hmmm, I don't know what to do. Thoughts anyone?

Have you thought about the new Amazon Kindle Fire tablet.? My 14 year old is very excited about it. Any music or media you buy from amazon is stored free in the cloud so no need for a huge storage. It's 199 right now on preorder and they are selling 50,000 a day. It is going to be a huge item at xmas time. I preordered my son's within 5 minutes of the link going live. It has lots of apps and stuff like the Ipod would and is more affordable than a laptop.

The Kindle Fire is not ideal as a portable media player because if you are not connected to wifi, you won't have cloud access and 8GB hard drive space is very limiting.

Thanks everyone! I have just now got the chance to get back online. Your suggestions have really helped, as I am clueless in the electronic age. I was the hoping 32 GB would be the max. I needed to consider. I think the 64 GB would be over the top. Now, I just need to find a deal on a 32 GB.

The Kindle Fire is not ideal as a portable media player because if you are not connected to wifi, you won't have cloud access and 8GB hard drive space is very limiting.

Not to mention, there's a lot of places that I would feel better about my kids toting a touch to versus the Fire.. My daughter is getting a keyboard kindle this year but she hardly ever leaves home w/o her touch.

Am I better off to get the bigger memory up front?

I echo what others have said about memory... Get the largest amount of storage you can afford. I like the apple products. For one thing they are very easy to use... We have several iPods, two iPhones and an iPad in our household. If you can swing it go for the iPad. It's the best of both worlds for your daughter. There's tons of educational software, music and more. There are equivelant (perhaps not so robust) editing tools for word processing and presentations. You can load in your own mp3s, cd's, or download from iTunes. Skip the lap top for now.... Go for the tablet.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks kanaida03! I would LOVE to go with the tablet but unfortunately the iPod is over my budget so the tablet is out of reach. The best price I have seen is $399. I am seeing the ipod 4th gen 32gb for around $275. Crossing my fingers that someone will offer a better deal soon. It seems the best option for me is layaway at Walmart .... however my Walmart is out of stock. I am struggling this year. This will basically be the only Christmas present we purchase, IF we are able to swing it. I fear we won't be able to and then Santa will be let out of the bag for sure :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
if you cannot swing the 32g the 8g really can be an option. My dd12 has had hers a year and has not filled it up. She loves it. You can load movies then delete once they have watched them. You don't HAVE to keep everything stored on them. You can save apps and songs in itunes and delete and redownload whenever you want to. There are some good deals on the 8g for BF....and make sure to watch Amazon's BF sales because I got dd's ipod last year when it was just out for a very good price plus no tax or shipping. Look for the 32 but don't feel bad if you can only swing the 8g.

Thanks kanaida03! I would LOVE to go with the tablet but unfortunately the iPod is over my budget so the tablet is out of reach. The best price I have seen is $399. I am seeing the ipod 4th gen 32gb for around $275. Crossing my fingers that someone will offer a better deal soon. It seems the best option for me is layaway at Walmart .... however my Walmart is out of stock. I am struggling this year. This will basically be the only Christmas present we purchase, IF we are able to swing it. I fear we won't be able to and then Santa will be let out of the bag for sure :confused:

IMO if money is a problem the 8gb will be fine.My son has the 8gb for 3 years now and hasnt filled it.He has like 100 or so songs he uses it to text go online play games and such.To me the Ipod is more for gaming and going online not downloading 1000's of songs.Thats what a ipod nano is for.My DD is 12 and shes getting the 8gb for christmas.She also has a laptop but will use the ipod for portable reason.I also bought my daughter a e-reader last year cost me $200 and within 2 months her knee went through the screen.Yes it still works as only the outer screen was cracked but i agree kids are to young to have these over priced items.She will be happy with the 8gb especially if it means going broke trying to buy it.They are everywhere on BF for $200 with a $50 GC.$150 is a ideal price.I woildnt stress something is better than nothing.

Just a little side note....if you decide to go with the 8GB iPod touch and you have a Target near you, they will have it Black Friday for $195 with a $40 gift card. There is a coupon on their website for 10% off on iPod's, which would bring it down to $175.50 minus the $40 gift card, and you're down to $135ish net cost.

Just a little side note....if you decide to go with the 8GB iPod touch and you have a Target near you, they will have it Black Friday for $195 with a $40 gift card. There is a coupon on their website for 10% off on iPod's, which would bring it down to $175.50 minus the $40 gift card, and you're down to $135ish net cost.

Thank you emilygracesmom! I would have never known about the coupon. It saved me $19.50 and my red card saved me an additional $7.78 + there's a $20 Target gift card with the purchase of any Ipod Touch this week. I didn't want to gamble on them running out on bf. $167.72 + a 20GC was good enough for me (:

Thank you emilygracesmom! I would have never known about the coupon. It saved me $19.50 and my red card saved me an additional $7.78 + there's a $20 Target gift card with the purchase of any Ipod Touch this week. I didn't want to gamble on them running out on bf. $167.72 + a 20GC was good enough for me (:

Was the Ipod in this weeks ad with the $20 GC?I didnt see it.Only the 32gb for $250.And if thats the case i agree im going to get one tonight,Would rather pay a extra $12 and know i have it.

Was the Ipod in this weeks ad with the $20 GC?I didnt see it.Only the 32gb for $250.And if thats the case i agree im going to get one tonight,Would rather pay a extra $12 and know i have it.

Yes, its on any ipod touch. Don't forget to print the 10% off coupon off the Target site, I had to go through almost the whole 17 pages of coupons but it was worth it.

You're very welcome. I actually found that deal in another thread on GD so I can't really take the credit for finding it!!

Yes, its on any ipod touch. Don't forget to print the 10% off coupon off the Target site, I had to go through almost the whole 17 pages of coupons but it was worth it.

Maybe its regional as i just went to my Target and tried to get the $8gb but the guy said no gift card?Did your store prompt the cashier to give you a $20 GC?

Maybe its regional as i just went to my Target and tried to get the $8gb but the guy said no gift card?Did your store prompt the cashier to give you a $20 GC?

I'm assuming it was automatic. There was a sign in the display case, but I would have asked anyway. Do you have this week's Target ad? Mine says free $20 Target GC when you buy any iPod touch** right next to the picture of the 32GB iPod touch. I will take a picture and try to figure out how to post it. If your ad is the same, they have to honor it.

Edited by mamapenguin

I have gotten all of my Ipods from the Apple store. Type in refurbished in the search field and then click on refurb ipods. They are under the same warranty as new ones and I just ordered a 32GB Itouch for $179, they come in the same apple box as the new!! In fact my mom still uses the very first one I bought, 5 YEARS AGO!! All the iPods I have bought are still working! So save some money and try this!

I'm in southeastern va, not that far from you when I went to Target here and got the 8g ipod touch and it came up automatically on the register for the cashier to scan a gift card. I actually saw it on the screen, like he had to do that to get to the next step of the checkout process. I would definitely call them and ask about it. I was there this morning. Hope this helps.

I'm in southeastern va, not that far from you when I went to Target here and got the 8g ipod touch and it came up automatically on the register for the cashier to scan a gift card. I actually saw it on the screen, like he had to do that to get to the next step of the checkout process. I would definitely call them and ask about it. I was there this morning. Hope this helps.

I called and got the same answer.LOL.Just goes to show ya noone really has a clue.Poor kid was probably hired holiday help.Its ok im taking my ad back and asking a manager to help me.thanks everyone.