Official Black Friday TABLET & E-READER Discussion Thread

Brad

If the Kindle had a camera and HULU Plus, I'd consider it. If my current Kindle (which I'll have for a year later this month) breaks...then I'd get a Fire....MAYBE....but unless it actually would let me download the tv shows and movies I'd purchased in the past (and said i downloaded to the max of two devices already) then I still won't. I need to get a hold of my dad's consumer reports and read about the 10 inch Acer Iconia tab, cause that's also in Staples ad for BF.

If the Kindle had a camera and HULU Plus, I'd consider it. If my current Kindle (which I'll have for a year later this month) breaks...then I'd get a Fire....MAYBE....but unless it actually would let me download the tv shows and movies I'd purchased in the past (and said i downloaded to the max of two devices already) then I still won't. I need to get a hold of my dad's consumer reports and read about the 10 inch Acer Iconia tab, cause that's also in Staples ad for BF.

I also heard good things about the Toshiba Thrive. We are looking at the Asus Transformer (not sure if the 1st gen or the new on coming in December) since it has a keyboard docking station. DS15 will be able to use it on the bus to type homework and then transfer to his desktop when he gets home at 11pm from his swim meets. I have the Fire on pre order originally for DH but now we are thinking of replacing DD laptop so he would take her old one down his Dad's during the week to watch movies etc. NOw we may give the FIre to DD along with the laptop, We were going to get her the Kindle touch w/offers that comes out next week so she could use the Fire as an ereader and also have a small tablet so she won't be jealous of her brother. I am waiting for the Walmart and BB ads to make my final decisions. Everything is just swimming in my head too many for me to handle :tongue1:

Has anyone preordered the Fire in the last day or so? Just curious as to what the delievery date estimate is...

You can put it in your cart and go all the way thru checkout just dont click the final button. It tells you on that last page. I did it several time but it never changed from 11/17, now I am not sure if I will get it I may cancel and order the Nook tablet which has the slot for more storage.

My 9DD wants an ipad. She's not getting it..lol. I see they have the 7inch Android tablet 3g 4gb for $90. I was thinking about it. Not a big investment and she probably would be satisfied with the things it can do but i only saw one review and it wasn't good.

Are the ones in this price range good enough for a kid or just a waste of money?

I was looking at the Dell Inspiron Duo for my DS. He will be going to college and I like that it is windows based. Does anyone know much about these?

I wanted to love this, but it is a little too big, a little too pokey, and a little too hard to use as a tablet. If you want to gesture and poke, and really want windows, better to wait for win8, I think.

In my opinion they are a waste of money. I refuse to spend any amount of money on junk. The amazon fire is a good value and a very nice tablet. If it breaks for any reason in a year, they will overnight you a new one and give you 30 days to return the old one. With those cheap models, you might as well throw it away.

I agree. I wouldn't go any lower than a Kindle Fire or Nook Color price range. They are $200 but worth every penny compared to the <$100 pieces of junk. IMHO. :)

The fire will have hulu plus.

But not full access to the Android Market. That's a big thumbs down for me. I'm going back and forth on maybe getting the Acer 7 inch that's in Best Buy's ad for Black Friday (IF its online). However, its not a CR (Consumer Reports) best buy or anything....and battery life is only about 5 hours. So, I am now leaning towards getting the New Samsung Galaxy Plus 7 inch tablet...it has this cool app included that can work as a television remote (and not just for Samsung branded items). Maybe it'll be a special secret Best Buy offer and be like $25 off or something.....or offer a free case. I can only shop online, so I will be limited for Black Friday.

I'd get a Fire IF there was full access to the market and a camera. I have a few movies and tv show episodes that I purchased on Amazon video a few years ago....at the time the only device I had to watch these on is an mp3 player by Creative. And it says I have the max two devices used (in reality, I only have them on one, I HATE the amazon video format, its so limiting!)...so I have NO clue if they'd let me download these....if they would....I'd consider a Fire.

But not full access to the Android Market. That's a big thumbs down for me. I'm going back and forth on maybe getting the Acer 7 inch that's in Best Buy's ad for Black Friday (IF its online). However, its not a CR (Consumer Reports) best buy or anything....and battery life is only about 5 hours. So, I am now leaning towards getting the New Samsung Galaxy Plus 7 inch tablet...it has this cool app included that can work as a television remote (and not just for Samsung branded items). Maybe it'll be a special secret Best Buy offer and be like $25 off or something.....or offer a free case. I can only shop online, so I will be limited for Black Friday.

I'd get a Fire IF there was full access to the market and a camera. I have a few movies and tv show episodes that I purchased on Amazon video a few years ago....at the time the only device I had to watch these on is an mp3 player by Creative. And it says I have the max two devices used (in reality, I only have them on one, I HATE the amazon video format, its so limiting!)...so I have NO clue if they'd let me download these....if they would....I'd consider a Fire.

Kindle Fire looks amazing and I would love to get it but I also don't like being limited to only the onboard storage as well as not having no camera, its for DD and she will want a camera on it lol. Yes it has the Cloud but that won't work when we are sometimes on the road for a day or so travelling. I am also looking at the Acer, will check out the Galaxy 7inch also. I am getting the Asus for my DS with the dockng keyboard.

I pre-ordered both of my daughters the Kindle Fire for Christmas this year. My oldest daughter (12) cannot bring any color e-reader to school but they can have the black and white. I was just going to go ahead and buy the original Kindle just for her at school but I cannot decide which one.

Kindle

Kindle Keyboard

Kindle Touch

Anyone have any ideas which would be best, just for her to bring to school for her reading classes??? Which is the easiest to use?

I pre-ordered both of my daughters the Kindle Fire for Christmas this year. My oldest daughter (12) cannot bring any color e-reader to school but they can have the black and white. I was just going to go ahead and buy the original Kindle just for her at school but I cannot decide which one.

Kindle

Kindle Keyboard

Kindle Touch

Anyone have any ideas which would be best, just for her to bring to school for her reading classes??? Which is the easiest to use?

Since it will be a secondary Kindle for her to bring to school I say the $79 Kindle. Plus it's smaller.

I am not sure if anyone saw the Staples Black Friday add, but the Blackberry Tablet will be $199.00. I think that is very good. I am not sure what type of apps you can put on it but from a business stand point I might get me one. It does everything the ipad does but for half the cost.

it seems that the playbook is having a price drop again, so i don't believe it is an *exclusive* staples sale. from what i've heard, the price drop is supposed to happen here (in Canada, i would assume the US is the same) on the 16th.

The only con on the Kindle that's 79 is that it has ads she may not want to see, like buick and oil of olay, etc. Also it has half the battery life and half the space and no speaker for sound. I have the keyboard and love it , but kids love that touch stuff now and she would probably want the touch instead. My 14 son wants the fire, but loves his psp for the touch screen.

Kindle

Kindle Keyboard

Kindle Touch

The only con on the Kindle that's 79 is that it has ads she may not want to see, like buick and oil of olay, etc. Also it has half the battery life and half the space and no speaker for sound. I have the keyboard and love it , but kids love that touch stuff now and she would probably want the touch instead. My 14 son wants the fire, but loves his psp for the touch screen.

It has ads?!

The ads only show up on the "sleep" screen and I think at the bottom when you are scrolling in the market. It does not appear when you are reading.

The "ads" are only on the $79 version one just so everyone is clear, and as stated by freesia, they are only on the bottom during market checking, or as a screensaver. They do not show up during reading, and this is only on the $79 version, not on the more expensive models.

Wow that is crazy. I had an original Nook and there were no ads, anywhere. The only reason I use the Kindle app now is because there isn't a Nook app for the TouchPad. ;) If that is the case then I would spend the extra $20 for the other Kindle that doesn't have ads. :)

Kindle

Kindle Keyboard

Kindle Touch

I have the kindle. Very happy. Battery lasts forever. I can slide it into a back or front pants pocket and most shirt pockets. No touch, so no fingerprints. And, at $79, it's not something you worry about losing or breaking. I slid it off a table onto a ceramic floor without consequence. Paired with Libre, this is a great news reader and I can upload my own documents. Browser works better than expected.

The special offers means there will be ads on the home page. Many people like them as they can save a lot of money and get some good buys, but a school might not like it. Even the more expensive models of kindles have ads if it states special offers. You save quite a bit of money on each model that way. It saves 50.00 on the kindle keyboard 3g which is normally 189 but with special offers it is only 139. The non ad basic kindle is 99 so it saves you 20. On the new kindles, you can pay the extra later and opt out of the ads in your amazon account.

It has ads?!

I would suggest the Kindle 3G in your case Johnny. The 3G is free and global, and the Kindle is great. It's not color though, if that makes a difference. It's $139 right now, or the Kindle Touch 3G is $149 (Just looked at Amazon jp and it's ¥ 21,299. Currency converter says that's 273USD!!!! Ack!)

If the 3G can be used overseas to download books thats great. Also I was thinking is this Kindle Fire one better?

yup the price is way high here (odd as tech is mostly cheap) for it so higher price plus Japanese language makes it less appealing here for me.