Talking GPS - and try to be reasonable...

labgeek

My mother has moved up here by us. She's having a very hard time getting accustomed to the new city. What I'd like to find for a Christmas present for her is a car mounted GPS (she'd just forget a handheld one at home) that we could set various destinations in and it would talk her through getting there. You know a "turn left 500 feet" type deal.

They look to be pretty much the same in features. They both have SD card expansion slots, touch screen, and voice navigation. The Magellan software looks to be a lot more inclusive, however, with point of interest mapping, which I've found to be incredibly useful.

Edit:

Nevermind the POI comment. Apparently the Garmin has it, too. So, they are pretty much the same. I'd read some reviews and see which pro/con list best suits you.

OK, so the Garmin looks better to me, now. It has a battery, so it can be portable if you want it to be. The Magellan has to be powered to work.

I would probably use mine 99.99% in the car so external powered isn't that much of an issue.

For me it boils down to which is more functional, has better software and the most comprehensive maps.

So can you save person spot's like "Rob & Tammy's House", "Rob's Work", "Grocery store", that she can select from and it'll tell her how to get there.... $400 is a doable, a little more than I hoped but not out of the question.

Yes, you can set favorites in the GPS systems. $400 is about the best you'll find for a color GPS with voice navigation. You could wait until BF to see if there are any deals on them, if you wanted to.