Ideas to make this Christmas EXTRA Special

Elmck

A few years ago my DH decided to no longer participate in the family Christmas. (To long of a story) Which has meant he wants no decorating, or anything you would associate with Christmas at our house. The years since then my parents have been in town and the kids and I have spent the holidays and many days before the holiday at their house. All the older kids are married and out of the house now, but they do have great memories of family Christmas's (when DH participated and with the Grandparents) I still have DD8 at home. This year my parents will be out of the country for the holidays. I want to something this Christmas to make it extra special for her.

Not sure if my parents house will be available to decorate, but my youngest son said we could stay there and do those kind of things with them.

What are some things I could do this year so it will be the Christmas she says you remember the Christmas when I was 8 and we.......

I did ask DH if he could go somewhere for the 2 weeks before Christmas but he just looked at me like I am crazy.

How about Christmas karaoke at your son's house one night.......make your own Christmas cards......make cookies together to give with the recipe to neighbors.......make the paper chain from christmas wrapping paper to hang in her room......get some of her friends together and have a snowman or Santa themed sleep over everyone wear season pj's and you could buy some inexpensive fleece and make scarves or clear glass ornaments and decorate them slide a photo in each one and date them......not sure where you live but....how about getting a cheap tree taking it to a park and decorating it while you have a picnic.....take photos together at stores with holiday item on ie: wreathes snowman ,Santa hats on poinsettias in your hair...just clown around with it then make a memory book with all the great photos of eachother

.....take photos together at stores with holiday item on ie: wreathes snowman ,Santa hats on poinsettias in your hair...just clown around with it then make a memory book with all the great photos of eachother

Love the photo idea because we both scrapbook.

Well - I guess it's not really something I would want to do but can you and your daughter take a trip somewhere? If DH insists on no Christmas and makes it so difficult for you to have anything holiday related at your home why don't you and your daughter go the the holiday?

I don't know your situation - so it's unfair to judge and I'll try not too. However off hand it sounds like DH is being unfair to your daughter. If he doesn't want to participate then fine - everyone has their reasons. But all of your other kids got to enjoy a Christmas in their house with their parents- why shouldn't your youngest daughter. IMHO - she's getting ripped a bit here.

In any case - if it were me - I would take off at least maybe the week between Christmas and New Years if you didn't want to go away the few days before Christmas. Pick out someplace kind of special - or known for doing it up for the holiday. Don't know where you're from but the Disney Parks or New York City come to mind first. Or go winter skiing somewhere in the mid west maybe.

If your husband doesn't want to participate why can't you still decorate 1 room, can' he just stay out of that room? How about doing christmas his way one year and then your way the next, and switch back and forth.

This would be a good idea but......

We live in a trailer, so there is not really a room that would work except for the living room. DH is disabled and home all day. It may work out that I can "move into" my folks house for about 2 weeks before Christmas even if they are gone. (thought they were renting it) Maybe I am wrong and too stubborn but I am not willing to do this Dh's way any year. DD is use to her dad not participating but I know she is really going to miss my parents this year (she is very close to my mom) I guess I am looking for things to do and places to go. I was reading old post and saw something about the 12 days of Christmas has anyone done this?

Dh is a great dad (hope I did not give the wrong impression) and husband but on celebrating Christmas and a few other things we do not agree.

What about doing it an old fashioned Christmas. Stringing popcorn simple decorations if there is snow sledding hot chocolate. If its not cold toast marshmallows and drink hot chocolate by the grill made up like a fire place. Sounds a little corny but she would remember it. As my kids get older I find it isn't the elaborate they remember it's the simple things. That's true even in my case.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by the 12 days of Christmas but I remember a thread about A Christmas elf that was mischievous and parents would take pics of doing random/silly things.

I'll have to lookup the Christmas elf, I remember reading about that on here too, thanks for the reminder

What about doing it an old fashioned Christmas. Stringing popcorn simple decorations if there is snow sledding hot chocolate. If its not cold toast marshmallows and drink hot chocolate by the grill made up like a fire place. Sounds a little corny but she would remember it. As my kids get older I find it isn't the elaborate they remember it's the simple things. That's true even in my case.

Great idea!! She loves hot chocolate and toasted marshmellows. I agree that it is the simple things that we remember.

I just can't imagine a father depriving a child of xmas. I don't know the story and can't judge, but I would tell him to buck up and deal with it and then I'd decorate my house and do the whole xmas thing. I make candy for a month before xmas and we put up a huge village in the living room. My husband puts lights all around the house, just for the kids. He doesn''t like xmas, but he loves the kids and wants them to have a magical xmas.

I've always wanted to string popcorn and cranberries! Maybe you could make a gingerbread house. You can also do things outside the house - go to holiday fairs, paint some holiday themed pottery, go ice skating.

I think Tinkrbel is talking about Elf on a Shelf. My friends all do this with their kids. You buy him at Hallmark and then set him up in random positions - at the computer, eating cookies, climbing up a chair - and he's supposed to report back to Santa how the kids are behaving.

I like the idea of decorating her room. You should definitely take your son up on his offer to spend the holidays with them.

Well, we are very into Christmas- especially dh- but some things that we do you could do and it wouldn't have to involve your dh. One thing we do (multiple nights) is put on our santa hats, the kids put on their jammies, and we drive around while listening to Christmas music and look at the lights, we do a different area of town each night out. Sometimes, the kids will stay in their regular clothes, we will all wear our santa hats though, and we will go eat ice cream after looking at the lights. For ornaments, you could make birdseed ornaments with peanut butter and birdseed, and hang those on your trees outside for the birds to eat- we often use pinecones for this. We do a special something every night in December for Christmas- be it making cookies, seeing lights, going to the Christmas parade, reading a Christmas book together, making reindeer food, etc, etc. None of it really would require decorating or anything, so it shouldn't bother your husband too much. As for Christmas presents and everything, surely the two of you can do those in her bedroom and not bother him.

Do a Christmas scavenger hunt: make a list of things to see and take your camera to the mall or drive around town and look for crazy decorations, etc

adopt a needy family and go shopping and wrapping together for them

make cookies and take them to fire departments or nurses stations on Christmas eve and/or Christmas day

take supplies to an animal shelter

serve at a homeless shelter

any cities near you that have a performance of The Nutcracker, Yes Virginia, or A Christmas Carol? you could get all dressed up in fancy Christmas dresses and go

make an advent calendar, you can always buy one that is done (you open a window each day leading up to Christmas and usually there is a small piece of chocolate hidden inside), but if you make one (Hobby Lobby and other craft stores have them, and if you're scrappers you've got paper, etc already) you can fill it with treats and small toys, personalize it

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand it, but to each their own. I would go on a trip for the holiday then w/ your daughter. Then you can both enjoy the holiday together.

I have to agree. What about a trip to Disney World. THey go all out for the holiday! Disney world could be her gift..she would always remember the Christmas she was 8.

I have to agree. What about a trip to Disney World. THey go all out for the holiday! Disney world could be her gift..she would always remember the Christmas she was 8.

We are taking her to Disney August 2012. She does not know yet. We plan to tell her on her birthday in March. We will also give her a disney gift card to spend however she wants while we are there. I am super excited...she will be too.

I want it to be special for her but I have grown children in the area too... I want to be with them for the holidays too. I am giving my Sunday School class a Christmas party on Dec. 9. I told her we would start are special nights then. Something fun and Christmassy(sp) so far she wants to:

Have a movie night with DS and his wife at their house ...With pop corn, soda, movie candy, etc

Make a paper chain to hang all around her room as well as cut out snowflakes to hang from the ceiling.

Make cookies and candy with older DD and any DILs that want to do it with us. Take to either neighbors, or nurses stations or both

Go out for dinner (her choice) and then ride to see lights and decorations.

Make birdseed ornaments

Make a holiday scrapbook (pictures of all our activities and silliness)

Make cinnamon, applesauce ornaments.

Fill out Christmas cards for her classmates(small Christian school)

I am thinking of writing all the ideas down (have the stuff ready to do all of them) and let her draw out of a stocking one idea a day,and that is what we will do.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Try checking out local activities that the entire family (less DH) can enjoy. I know that locally I have a Fantasy of Lights Parade, Living Chistmas put on by local church (absolutely amazing), Christmas tree lightings, choir performances etc.

How about a "Christmas Sweater" party with DS, his wife, DD's friends, and whomever else you can get together. Visit the local Salvation Army or thift store to find the tackiest sweater. In my case, I just have to visit my closet LOL. Could even make a project out of creating your own. Take silly photos and have prizes. Most colorful, Ugliest, Most Unique.