Outdoor decoratingr--who is DONE?

allshoppedout

I thought I'd just change the title of the thread, instead of starting a new one, and you could comment if you started/finished decorating outdoors yet? -Nov 12, 2011

Ok I had some dear old decorations "die" before/during the holidays last year. I was looking for new things to replace them, had no luck online, no luck on after xmas clearance.

So THIS fall, since I heard stores were starting early, i went searching.

I searched online--and what I find mostly is OUT OF STOCK and alot will say ONLINE exclusive. So I call Lowe's and Home Depot online help and no one knows ANYthing. I ask, does that mean YOU HAD IT and it is already sold out, so I shouldn't get my hopes up-- or does it say OOS until you get it in? (in which case I personally feel it should read "coming soon" ! ) Well NO one --from any store, can answer my questions.

I went to the Sam's, the Walmart, Lowe's and H.Depot near me, they "don't know" when the big things come out. . . Big Lot's had some stuff, but nothing I wanted.

I need some big deer/ or deer and sleigh or something else kind of elegant to put out--not looking for whimsical this time--no offense. But I cannot even compare/decided best price/item without knowing what people will have. I was looking at 2-3 larger items, rather than several smaller/medium.

guess they'll wait and put it out the day my son has a dental appt or is down with the flu and I'll miss the sale/stocking of the item!

DOES ANYONE RECALL when they found stuff last year-- online or otherwise --in which stores? I feel like I am starting early, but I was looking at end of Nov. last year and stuff I liked/wanted was gone...

Edited by allshoppedout
asking additional INFO

It's still a little too early for that kind of stuff to be out. (Fall officially starts in like 2 days) I'd guess that it will all be out after Halloween / the beginning of November, but you will probably start to see some in October.

Sounds like maybe the websites may be getting ready to put the stuff up soon, most stores don't have that stuff on their website all year unless it's in stock so they are probably preparing for this season.

If you look in the beginning of November you should have no problems finding something.

I'm not sure of the specs but I was at Target yesterday and they have their back wall set up with Christmas decorations (the big,outdoor ones).

A little incongruous with the forefront being Halloween,but it just put me in the spirit of the holiday season

so I don't mind.

Good luck-I hope you find what you're looking for!

I was unable to dash to Target since I last posted...but I did check at Walmart & Home Depot...Walmart had "small things" out and that soft tinsel kind of stuff, smaller like animals..and then big BLOW UP things...but no deer and stuff....

Once again the HD employees looked at me like "crazy Old lady" when I asked about them.

I hope to get to Lowe's and Target tomorrow. I wanted to get BIG like 60 inch size (or 45 if I can't do 60 in.) size buck & Doe. I wanted to get non-animated because, well I had animated in the past and they were GOOD decorations and even they would stop working at times, I think due to the cold...and the last 2 yr they wouldn't move at all . . . but they sat there and looked good anyway..

I can't do the Blow up kind, I get toooo much wind. We had neighbors have their blow up decorations destroyed/ripped by wind... Thanks everybody, I have looked online and not much added.

If you have a Garden Ridge in your area.....try there.

There is one about 45-60 min. away, I have never been. Thanks.

I did go to Lowes---and they had some of what I was looking for, grapevine items, waaaaaaay up high, I mean probably 30 feet up, on the very highest shelf you could put it...with many empty shelves in between, no chance of "touching" or examining closely, but I did take a cell picture and am gonna search on internet, LOL...

And a good sign, at my Target, the lady was in the act of pulling out the clearance garden hoses/shovels, etc off the shelf that will "hopefully have the Xmas items on it by Friday" as she put it...

So hope I can have some decorations for sure, purchased, assembled and "tested" by Halloween, so if anything is wrong with them, I will have a chance to get back up/second choices... I don't want to be looking for that kind of stuff on BF...wanna concentrate on gifts at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for anyone reading who might also be looking for BIG outdoor decorations, I thought I'd come back to say, that 2 Home depots near me, still have NOTHING out for Christmas!

Lowes has some things they had last year (like LED deer that look PURPLE/greyish and got bad reviews) A gumdrop tree that I thought was cute (also got awful reviews) THey have pretty glittery gold reindeer but they seem "flimsy" and I bet the glitter would either flake off in 2-3 years/or turn color and they are 80 a piece...ugh.

Target doesn't have much to be excited over either.

They have silvery deer, not much to them, and they don't give off much light.

I am very disappointed. . . Garden Ridge is a bit of a ride and I understand the return policy isn't great. If I buy it now, I want to know if what I buy stops working Dec. 24, I can bring it back...

I looked online as well, nothing new, guess I have to wait longer.

I saw these in the menards flyer and online at Farm n Fleet, but since you are in PA, I know you don't have those. I don't know if you would be able to find them carried at a store near you, but I thought they were pretty and elegant. :)

http://www.fleetfarm.com/images/products/large/0000000067860.jpghttp://www.fleetfarm.com/images/products/large/0000000067861.jpg

LINK

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Holiday-Time-Animated-Gold-Buck-48-Tall/17127939 .........48 inch golden deer with scrolled horns 39.98

Thanks, I went and got the buck and doe this afternoon! They were not on display in store, and I had also called another store to see if they were, so I could look before I bought, but they weren't so just bought them--They are not 60 inches, but still substantial, I mean they are 12 inches smaller, but also half price of ones I found at Target, Lowes (which I didn't like).

I STILL Can't believe that the home depots near me do NOT have Xmas decorations out, everyone else does...

I may be lucky enough to go to Garden Ridge today-- I've never been. Has anyone ever had MAJOR problems with big decorations they have purchased from this company? If there was something wrong, were you able to exchange. I will be leaving at about 11 a.m. if anyone has input, if you could let me know asap. Thanks a bunch :)

I may be lucky enough to go to Garden Ridge today-- I've never been. Has anyone ever had MAJOR problems with big decorations they have purchased from this company?

If there was something wrong, were you able to exchange? I will be leaving at about 11 a.m. if anyone has input, if you could let me know asap. Thanks a bunch :)

anybody have an opinions? info?

No thoughts or comments on their return policy, except for 30 days. On another note, you'll enjoy the shopping experience. They've changed up the layout over the years, but they still have a LARGE selection of Christmas decorations.

Thanks BDF, I did see your post! I did enjoy the GARDEN Ridge experience and they had alot to choose from, it may be just deer aren't in big demand, so they aren't trying to come up with something exciting/new/rich looking. . . well they had some odd kinds....ones that are prancing whose bodies are so oddly bent that they'd need a chiropractor...and some that are only lit mid leg down, and look amputated from far away :(

But I have to say I recommend them for the great price for RIBBON and shatterproof ornaments, specialty ornaments/twigs to insert in between branches and store was set up so nicely. We were there quite awhile. I got ribbons and some ornaments and a spiral tree (but I will be returning it) They had some cool blow up kind of decor but I get too much wind where I am at, so not option 4 me. And they had a few very nice green trees but not nearly enough ones with LED. They had 1 scary looking one, lights were purple, red, blue and white, YUCK...looked almost halloweenie... and then one white LED, too blinding...all rest incandescent.

Checked home depot near me, finally got their stuff out. So high up that you can't even touch the edge of any of it. . Their deer are no better, waaaay overpriced and some not very big at all..so I will stick with the ones from Walmart, they are the best sized deer for the amount of lights and smaller price point. I am sure some people may have black friday sales, but I try to worry about presents for others on BF day, not decor items... Can't be everywhere ya know..

My big lots put out many more things a in the past week!! a nd I did find a cute twig tree there! LOVE it!

Thanks everyone who gave me input.

Now that I got stuff I want to decorate tomorrow but am going to TRY to hold off until week of November 6.

Edited by allshoppedout