Saint Nick's Day

saraczek

Just wondering if anyone here does Saint Nick's Day. Here we put out our stockings on Dec. 2nd, that night Saint Nick comes and fills them with goodies for the kiddos and when they wake up on the 3rd they can't wait to see what they've received.

It is European and since My mother was French and german, we always celebrated it, but on Dec. 6th (that's St. Nicholas' day) January 2 was 3 King's Day and we got stuff then too--never anything really big, usually just candy and fruits and smaller toys or a tape (probably a cd now LOL) as we got older.

My dd celebrates this at school, she goes to a catholic school. This year, on Dec 5th, every students brings a shoe or slipper to be left overnight at school and when they come into school on the 6th, their shoe/slipper is filled with candy/treats. Very cute, she loves it.

• 1 month later...

Tonight's the night, isn't it? We have our stockings up and ready to go!

Baby got 2 Christmas bibs, Christmas board books, and a stuffed animal, while the boys got a couple Christmas books, Christmas notepad, stuffed animal, and a few little candies. (St. Nick told me :giggle: )

This is the first year we are doing this for the kids - My parents did it only a couple times when I was a kids :(

as a matter of fact i'm watching a&e's biography: santa claus, from which i just learned about the tradition of the feast of st. nicholas..apparently church leaders werent too happy about him being more popular with little kids than jesus, so they created a similar 'character,' kris kringle, who did what st. nick did, but on christmas, & it was a combination of these 2 figures that became santa claus in the 1800s ;)

:grandpa: I celebrate St. Nicks day. As a matter of fact, he came last night and left goody bags for the kids. I forgot to get their stockings down from the attic:( so they have bags this year. I don't even think they will care as they are 13, 16 and 17.

I grew up with this tradition and I hope my children will keep it going.

Either HGTV or The Travel Channel usually have a special about St. Nicholas. Ooh, it may be Biography. It's a pretty neat show. My kids watched it years ago and it answered a lot of their questions- they are the only kids in this entire town that have St. Nick come to their house on the night of December 5th. They also don't get their stockings filled on Christmas eve either.

When they were all little, they sure felt special.

Have a great day folks :howdy:

Jodi