Mailing Christmas Presents/Packages

elena_398

I have several presents I need to buy and mail out this year to relatives that have moved out of State. I have heard that past a certain point in the Christmas Season, the post office can't guarantee it will arrive by 12/25. When does the rush hit and when should I have presents bought and mailed by? Also, how do you mail christmas gifts if they are an irregular size? I have some BF items that I want to get, but not sure how to box them for safe delivery? Thanks for any info from anyone familiar with mailing out items.

Here are the regular holiday guidelines for the post office:

http://www.usps.com/holiday/mailingshippingguidelines.htm

Thanks. This will help me. I have 3 relatives who recently moved out of state so I have to mail theirs out. Also, I have a gift idea for my father-in-law in Indiana that may be odd shaped. I think I may go to UPS shipping for that

If you have to mail overseas you should think about starting now. I have a friend who had to mail home to India and she mailed them out in the beginning of Nov one year that i went with her to the PO and i think they were still late for Christmas.

Former postal employee here. In my experience, if you mail an item even as late as Dec. 20-21 priority mail (U.S.)it should have no problen getting there. But, if your really in a crunch always use express mail. It will cost you a little more but it is guaranteed to get there in 1-2 days (depending on where it's going they'll either tell you 1 day or 2 days) and if it doesn't you get a total refund of postage. They will even deliver it to your door on Christmas morning if it's express. (ex. They tell you it will get there in 1 day and it ends up taking 2= you get all your $ back). Whatever you decide to do if using USPS, always mail a pkg. priority or express, never parcel post. The priority and express pkgs. ALWAYS get handled alot better.

New member here, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. Depending on how big your boxes are it is often cheaper to use Fed EX Ground or UPS. I used to have an on line business and found that FED EX/UPS prices were much better than the USPS. In addition, you don't have to pay for delivery confirmation or insurance. It is included in the price.

If you mail to a PO box, make sure that they have paid up their annual dues though. A few years ago, My MIL didn't pay for her box and the package was returned to me 3 times before she realized it was HER fault and I didn't get the address wrong. Then it was still MY fault because I should have just sent the box to the house the second time instead of being fed up and doing it the 3rd time. GRRRRRRRRRR she told me to send it to her box!!!

Even after all of that, they still got their package before Christmas (and before we received the package from her)

I currently work for the US Postal Service and I can tell you that we are trying to make package shipping alot easier and safer. We have to beat our competition. A good thing to remember when mailing a package is to always put their P.O. box # forst and up under it put their physical address to make sure your package gets delivered. Ex:

name

P.O. Box #

1234 Street address

City, State Zip

Also the US Postal Service also works with FedEx when shipping packages. At my post office we will also help you pack your item, seal your item, and address it correctly.

Another plus is that you can visit www.usps.com and order Priority mail boxes, tape, and address labels for free. The postal service will even ship the items to you for free!!!!!! Check it out..........

I currently work for the US Postal Service and I can tell you that we are trying to make package shipping alot easier and safer. We have to beat our competition. A good thing to remember when mailing a package is to always put their P.O. box # forst and up under it put their physical address to make sure your package gets delivered. Ex:

name

P.O. Box #

1234 Street address

City, State Zip

Also the US Postal Service also works with FedEx when shipping packages. At my post office we will also help you pack your item, seal your item, and address it correctly.

Another plus is that you can visit www.usps.com and order Priority mail boxes, tape, and address labels for free. The postal service will even ship the items to you for free!!!!!! Check it out..........

How do you do it when the PO Box and the physical address are in different zip codes? For example, my MIL's box is by her office,(and in one zip code) but her house zip code post office is about 7 miles from her house the other direction? I will definitely need to do this again this year LOL