Kitchenaid Standmixer

Check Amazon. Usually the different colors are all different prices. The price fluctuates so much that it's hard to "report" a good price. I got my 5qt Artisan in December for $160. Right now they range from $231-299 depending on color.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM150PSWH-Artisan-5-Quart-Mixer/dp/B00005UP2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304437973&sr=8-1

I think it's worth the extra money for the 5qt, especially if you stalk amazon price changes. You can save a lot if you aren't picky on color. The exotic colors are always more expensive than the standard colors.

• 2 months later...
I've used both the 4.5 and the 5qt and I have found the 5qt to be much more useful. The 4.5 qt is just a little too small to accommodate double batches of cookies or single batches of bread. If you need the power of a kitchenaid you will probably want the larger one. If you watch for good sales you can get the 5qt for about the same price of the 4.5qt.

just wondering how come the 5 qt mixers are so much more expensive than the 4.5 qt. does it matter?

Unless you are constantly making double batches of cookies, you could easily be very happy with a 4.5 qt mixer. If you find a great deal on the 5 qt, then grab it, but the 4.5 qt is a great mixer also.