BF-Worthy Deal: Dell Laptop $399 available RIGHT NOW!!!

RossMAN

Does anyone know if I have to get a wireless router? We have DSL. I was thinking that i would just neet to get the wireless card. Am I right??????

You are correct.

You need a DSL modem, wireless router and wireless laptop card (usually sells for $30 after rebates).

ecided to order one and I am afraid I did something wrong! It said that there is supposed to be a $50 rebate, but when I go the rebate area, it tells me that it does not qualify! I am not very happy for that. If I get the rebate, I am happy to pay the extra $45 for shipping to not have to stand in line and fight over it on BF! I am not sure it was worth and extra $95 though ($50 rebate and $45 shipping)!:cry2:

Thank you. I tried to do that this morning but my computer kept locking up and I had to go to work - grrr!! Thanks again. I will let everyone know the results.

Dell has moved to generic rebate forms, so you might be ok.

It's important that your rebate offer is on your shipping notice. Login to your Dell.com account and look at your invoice, do you see a rebate offer #?

Yes!! Maybe I was just trying to see it too soon after the order! It is on my shipping notice. By the way, the errors were not the fault of Dell or their website but of my own computer. I am having computer issues and intend to have it repaired once I get my laptop. Once again, I definitely think it was worth the extra $49 to have one less thing to fight over on BF! Still seems like a great deal to me. Thanks for all the help Rossman - makes the site even better!:g_thumbri

I have a hardware question regarding this computer purchase. Wanting wireless internet if I were to purchase this computer would I then need to also purchase the wireless router and wireless card separately and if so is there anything else needed? I don't want to be one item away from being able to use it once I receive it. I have a hard time deciphering the ads and knowing what is needed.

I have a hardware question regarding this computer purchase. Wanting wireless internet if I were to purchase this computer would I then need to also purchase the wireless router and wireless card separately and if so is there anything else needed? I don't want to be one item away from being able to use it once I receive it. I have a hard time deciphering the ads and knowing what is needed.

Someone laptops (such as the HP for $398) offer an internal wireless card already built-in.

For this Dell you would need to add the following option:

Dell Wireless 1350 External Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) [add $39 or $1/month2]

Now you only need a wireless router which is sometimes on sale for $19.99 - $39.99 after rebate. Check your local Circuit City, Best Buy, or CompUSA store. Or you can buy online.

Now you only need a wireless router which is sometimes on sale for $19.99 - $39.99 after rebate. Check your local Circuit City, Best Buy, or CompUSA store. Or you can buy online.

I know that last year, CC had great deals on Belkin wireless routers (and Belkin wireless cards, if you get the laptop without a built-in wireless modem). I'd be surprised if one or more of the big box companies didn't have amazing BF sales on wireless routers. Keep your eyes peeled!

I must be in the minority....but I have heard some very good things about HP...which is why I am willing to wait in line on BF at Walmart...I will be replacing a laptop that finally gave out on me last year..and I already/still have all the router, wireless card..etc...but maybe it's from experience..but nothing could make me buy another Dell.....I have had nothing but problems from my Dell since day one..and it took me TWO years to get someone to replace the motherboard..which was suppose to correct the problem immediately...and instead it simply delayed the same behavior a couple weeks before it started back up. I have had to reinstall everything at least 2-3 dozen times in 3 years.....and..btw..this was at...DELLS TECHNICAL SUPPORT'S suggestion that has left me with basically a pc I have been using with nothing that can be retained for long.

I can't wait to replace the desktop for my girls also next year.

I must be in the minority....but I have heard some very good things about HP...which is why I am willing to wait in line on BF at Walmart...I will be replacing a laptop that finally gave out on me last year..and I already/still have all the router, wireless card..etc...but maybe it's from experience..but nothing could make me buy another Dell.....I have had nothing but problems from my Dell since day one..and it took me TWO years to get someone to replace the motherboard..which was suppose to correct the problem immediately...and instead it simply delayed the same behavior a couple weeks before it started back up. I have had to reinstall everything at least 2-3 dozen times in 3 years.....and..btw..this was at...DELLS TECHNICAL SUPPORT'S suggestion that has left me with basically a pc I have been using with nothing that can be retained for long.

I can't wait to replace the desktop for my girls also next year.

While I am certain many can empathize with the situation you describe, it's important to note that no single manufacturer produces a flawless product. There are unfortunately horror stories for all manufacturers, and for the most part customer experience varies from model to model (and even revision to revision within the same model number). As a purchaser and end-user, the best advice is to choose the most cost effective solution (not to be confused with the cheapest solution), factoring not only the initial purchase cost but additional criteria as well (such as product reliability, build quality, typical turnaround time for service/repairs, your lost time, etc). Ross' signature advice rings true in this arena as well: in most cases, you get what you pay for. This of course does not mean a sub-$400 notebook can't serve you well for a number of years for a variety of different tasks - just that the expectation of such can't be as high as say the expectation of a $4,000+ notebook.

As it bears some importance in this thread, the above especially holds true with regard to mobile machines. Unfortunately, notebooks are an amalgam of extremely complex and proprietary components in a very compact area of space. Heat and the sheer wear and tear of daily use (especially of the more rough variety) can contribute significantly to degredation in product life if not attended to properly. Also, the internal integrated components are sadly not as interchangable by the end-user as their desktop counterparts, save the more major components (processors, memory, hard drives, optical drives, and to some extent wi-fi/media components). As you might expect, the mobile version of even these interchangeable components are much more expensive than the desktop version - often as much as double the price, or more.

For these reasons, I always highly recommend a comprehensive warranty be purchased for however long the end-user plans to make regular use of the notebook. It is one of the few products where additional coverage beyond the default offered by the manufacturer is warranted. One simple repair (e.g., a failed motherboard, an LCD replacement, etc) can easily run well over $1,000 depending on the make and model machine.

Guest cantweshare
the toshiba is a better deal it has built in wireless and faster hard drive and you can replace all the ram in it unlike the dell which has the 256mb that comes with it soldered in and non removable. not to mention side mounted usb ports front volume control much better video chipset etc. many plus's over the dell.

so rossman its 399 wid tax n all or without?

It's $449 - $50 mail-in rebate = $399 plus sales tax (if applicable)

and do i have to buy the network wireless card wid it also or just buy da laptop? well actually im quite new to laptops n all so i really dnt knw how they work n wat all to buy!

You only need the wireless card if you plan on using it with a wireless network. You don't have to buy the wireless card right now, you can buy it later.

After reading all these diferrent pros and cons about the Walmart laptop vs dell, I've decided to camp out at my local Walmart for the laptop. I hate rebates !!! They take too long to come back and by the time they finally arrive, my wife spends the money and I never get to see a penny of it. !!!