Laptop deals under $500

For any of you who are current on Laptop technology...what is a good deal these days? I don't know much about current component technology since I have not purchased a computer for 5 years.

I'm looking to spend under ~$500. Computer will be strictly home business use...no gaming. I'm thinking I would like a minimum of 3GB RAM or 2GB expandable to 4GB (seems like all software you buy these days suggests 1GB RAM). Hard drive probably 320+.

Are the cheap computers found at Walmart and similar places any good? Or am I better off waiting for a good online deal through NewEgg or similar retailer?

Are there any particular strategies for picking up a great deal on a laptop?...Besides standing in line on Black Friday?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Laptops seem to have decent deals all year round.

You should check out Fry's electronics if they are in your area. Their big ads come out on Fridays and they usually have some decent laptop deals in them. Much better than Walmart's.

They are also online at Frys.com. If you Google "Fry's ad" and pick the newspaper that is closest to your area, you can usually figure out what is on sale online.

http://www.frys.com/product/6531463?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Matches what you want with a 14" screen sub $400. If you are very mobile with it, the weight savings on the smaller screen will seem like a godsend.

HP online has had some good deals for laptops lately. This week they seem to be having free memory upgrades to at least 3G Ram. Try there. Some of Walmart's laptops are preloaded with so much crap that I don't see a deal. Also, try either Sam's Club or Costco. HTH.

If I remember correctly don't they manufacture motherboards and graphics cards? I have used their laptops a few times and really don't see anything wrong with them. Lately, I don't think it's the brand that determines the laptop, but more the features.

Asus has made great motherboards for years. Lately them and MSI (another parts maker) have started selling laptops branded with their own company. Both have been doing quite well, good parts & prices for the most part. I know the MSI's even come with a standard 3 year warranty which is almost unheard of these days of paying for anything more than a year of coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this topic. I'm looking for a laptop for my grandson for college this fall. Would like to stay between $500-600. What would he need?

What software should we be looking for?

• 2 weeks later...