Nintendo DS for 5yo

MeliesMom

My daughter is 4 and she will be turning 5 this year. Her 7yo cousin had a nintendo ds at xmas and my daughter played with it and has been wanting one ever since. I feel she is a bit too young for one, however she knows how to unlock my cell phone (and its a pattern lock), go through my apps and find angry birds and play it!! I always find her on my phone. Lol. I'm thinking I should get her a nintendo ds that she could play with and get some games for younger kids. I'm not sure which one is best. I don't know the difference between dsi, ds lite, ds whatever! I don't want to get something that will be discontinued 6 months after I buy it. But from what I understand all the DS games can be played on any of the DS systems. I'm wondering which one would be best for a 5yo and where can I find a decent deal on one?

My 14 year old just upgraded to the dsi. It has camera , you won't need it. DS lite is smaller and it's the one my grandkids like to play with. They are 4,6,8. I let them play with son's old ds lite. Be careful, the two youngest can't play the games we have, even the ones coded e for everyone. You need to make sure the skill level is age 5 or around there. When my son first got a ds, we bought the toy story game thinking he could play it and it was too difficult. My grand daughter just [pretends, she can't play any of the games we have. I don't think they make old regular ds anymore, but I wouldn't buy one. DS lite has pictochat. The kids on the schoolbus can chat with each other from their ds's .

The DS Lite is the oldest of the versions selling right now. It does not have a camera, and has a slot to play old Game Boy Advanced games. The wi-fi it comes with is old technology/security and can be picky to connect. No internet. Rumors that this one is discontinuing, but should be supported for a while.

The DSi is the current "base" system. 2 cameras, wi-fi and easy internet. Does not play GBA games. Very easy to use; shold be fine for a 5 yr old, esp. one with some tech experience (like phone games, lol). (The DS XL is this same system, just bigger. Also heavier... not really necessary for a little one.)

The new DS-3d is coming out soon, but is not recommended for kids under, like, 6. Supposedly it can damage young, developing eyes.

We have 2 Ds and 2 DSi at my house. IMHO, the DSi is the way to go. You might find a price drop around the time Ds 3d comes out.... just keep checking ;)

My DS7 has had a DS since he was 4; he is very jealous of older sisters' DSi. As PP said, make sure the games you select are at the same language level as your child... if she can't read, she may have trouble with some games.

Good luck! and HTH

All 3 play DS games; there is a standard slot for all 3.

My kids have both had them since they were young. My 5 year old nephew got one for xmas. He loves it. He is very good at playing the games. He has to show me how to do most of them, lol. I would say it good thing. I would go with the DSi also. The DS 3D is suppose to be out in March so price will drop on DSi's. Good Luck! hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I will prob get the DSi and wait til the new 3ds comes out and hopefully the price will drop on dsi. I've been looking at kids games for her age range and her cousin was playing littlest pet shops or something and my daughter played with it for like an hour! She was so excited when she got the pet to do something. I see there is a deal at walmart today on a ds bundle, 3 games and car charger for $40. Is this a good deal? I might go ahead and get that and just wait on the dsi til the price drops.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I will prob get the DSi and wait til the new 3ds comes out and hopefully the price will drop on dsi. I've been looking at kids games for her age range and her cousin was playing littlest pet shops or something and my daughter played with it for like an hour! She was so excited when she got the pet to do something. I see there is a deal at walmart today on a ds bundle, 3 games and car charger for $40. Is this a good deal? I might go ahead and get that and just wait on the dsi til the price drops.

check out Targets clearance, they always have the young DS games for $5-10 (games for younger kids like Littlest Pet Shop, Movie ones)

• 2 weeks later...