No Name Electronics

ghort

Guest DigDoug
I've been very impressed with my Maxent EDTV 42" Plasma TV. It's got a great picture when viewing HDTV channels. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but for the price I like it.

$19 DVD player from sears last year is working great!

I got that dd's room and it works really well and I also got a different no name dvd players elsewhere for my room and it's worked well too. I personally haven't gotten burnt by the no name stuff but I'm always sort of worried about buying it!

We've bought two of the Apex(so I guess no-name) DVD players from WM over the years. The one we bought 3 years ago works, but doesn't like Disney DVD's, and makes a horrible sound when one is played in it. The one from 4 years ago works perfectly, and is the one in our living room.

Guest Deals4Me

We've bought two of the Apex(so I guess no-name) DVD players from WM over the years. The one we bought 3 years ago works, but doesn't like Disney DVD's, and makes a horrible sound when one is played in it. The one from 4 years ago works perfectly, and is the one in our living room.

Actually, Apex is alot of what we own. (Circuit city sells them too)

The DVD player in my room is Apex and plays ANYTHING. Bootleg, PCD, you name it....

And the tv in the front room is Apex...a lot of bells and whistles.

Apex is a name brand, but not considered on the same standard as other big names. I dont know why, but its awesome stuff.

The Apex DVD player I got a few years ago works fine. The Daewoo DVD/VCR I got last year had to be fixed under warantee for 35.00 (labor) as the DVD stopped working. If I didn't have to be within driving distance of the mfg's office in NJ, I wouldn't have bothered fixing it.

Every year I buy which ever stereo WalMart has on BF. We now have one in almost every room but with 5 kids, they listen to alot of music. lol They are all still working great. We just put the VCR we bought at WalMart down to rest(RIP) this past summer and we've had it about 8 years. And it has been through alot. lol

I'd say about half the time, the no-name stuff is just a relabeled version of a name-brand product. My mom got a VCR not long ago, if you look on the back you saw the Magnovox name, but otherwise there was no indication of what brand it was. The almost-identical name-brand VCR was about twice the price.

There's also all the name-brands that people don't recognize as name-brands. Proview is one, they're pretty popular for cheap, decent monitors. Another that comes to mind is Lite-On, they are a very big supplier of computer parts to OEMs (such as cd burners), but if you saw that name on the individual part itself, you'd think it was just another no-name brand.

Then there's the brands that share many of the same components, but aren't exactly relabeled. Such as Akai bigscreens generally being the same as Samsung, but they're not actually made by Samsung. Aiwa might be seen as inferior to Sony, but they're owned by Sony (so the quality would presumably be similar?).

Of course, there are many cheap electronics that are just that, cheap. I think overall, they provide a good value if you shop wisely. Next time you look at buying a name-brand of something, look at the no-names too. You just might find out that the no-name is really a name-brand in disguise. Look all over the product for clues, the back of the VCR might say it's made by Magnavox, the back of that 88cent Ultrabrite toothpaste may say it's made by Colgate, and if you enlist google's help, you'll find out even more.