NBA Shop....someone talk me down! :(

I ordered my boyfriend a "Boston Celtics Mens Custom Hooded Fleece Sweatshirt" on Thursday, December 9th. The product page said (and still says) "In stock, leaves warehouse in 3 - 5 full bus. days." I said to myself, great, that's plenty of time. I design it (front, back, both sleeves) and place the order. The order confirmation comes within minutes and says (as does "Track My Order" on the store website) "You can expect to receive your item(s) between 12/17/10 and 12/22/10." I checked it a couple of times between the 9th and 17th. When on the 17th, the first day I could expect to receive it, it still wasn't showing as shipped, I sent an email and was told I would receive a response in 24 hours (not 24 business hours mind you). Yesterday, when I had still not received a reply to the email, I called. I was told "Your expected arrival is the 17th - 22nd. It's only the 20th, no need to panic yet." I told her "I understand that. And I further understand once it's in the shippers hands, it's no longer your responsibility. However, I am trying to find out if "Track My Order" is accurate and that my item hasn't shipped. Can you tell if it has even been put in the shippers hands yet??" She checks and says no it hasn't, she'll send an email to the warehouse and if there is a problem, they'll contact me.....Okay great, my mind is relieved a little bit.

Late last night I finally received a response to my email inquiry that stated in part:

"We are very sorry that the Boston Celtics Men's Hooded Fleece Sweatshirt you ordered has yet to ship. Unfortunately, at this late date we cannot guarantee arrival before Christmas. It also appears that there may have been some miscommunication regarding the estimated delivery date at the time your order was confirmed. Customized items such as yours do require special handling and therefore additional time before they ship. Had you chosen to "Leave it Blank", you could have expected that the item would ship within 3 - 5 full business days."

I am furious at this point!!! 1) Note she does not have the word "Custom" in her product title; 2) If I had chosen "Leave it Blank" I would've been ordering a BLANK HOODIE!!! I could've gone to Target for that!!!; and 3) the product page says "CUSTOM," therefore it should state on the page 3-5 business days IF YOU ORDER BLANK and X-X business days IF YOU ORDER CUSTOM. There is nothing stating it will take longer if you customize it. Am I crazy to assume that on a page for a CUSTOM item that the estimated ship time is for the CUSTOM item? No I am not crazy. I did not "miscommunicate." I have a Masters in Communication. I do not miscommunicate. Your page is in accurate and misleading. That is not miscommunication. That is AN ERROR.

So needless to say I go to bed FURIOUS with the intent to respond to "Anna S." this morning and tell her that's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Then I wake up this morning to find an email stating in part:

"Thank you for placing your recent order with us. We wanted to inform you that there is a delay in fulfilling the item listed below in your order. Please accept our apologies for this delay. At this time we do not have a ship date for the item. If you choose to wait for the item to ship, you do not need to contact us, and we will continue to process and ship your order as soon as we can. Please note, your credit card will not be charged for the item until the order is shipped. If you would like us to cancel your order, please call our Customer Service department at (1-866-SHO-PNBA), and we will be happy to promptly provide you with a full refund...................If the item(s) is not shipped by 01/21/2011 the item will be automatically cancelled and your credit card will not be charged, and/or your money will be refunded."

WHAT THE HECK???? It took you 12 days to tell me my order has a problem?? And now it might not ship until 1/21/2011?? Not to mention, the item listed in this email as being delayed says "NEW YORK KNICKS Mens Custom Hooded Fleece Sweatshirt."

I am a very patient person and I know some of you are going to say "it's the holidays, these things happen" but I would argue that the holidays come ever year and the retailer should prepare IN ADVANCE by stocking up on items and staff.

This was the big gift he doesn't know about and I was really excited about this....but now....let's just say George Bailey has left me and Scrooge has just arrived.

I feel totally deflated over this.

So this is the question: call/email and argue (especially since the email has the wrong team listed)? Wait it out? Cancel it and order something else and cross my fingers? Go to the mall and "see what I can find"?

I would say call and argue because you definitely don't want them to wind up sending the wrong hoodie after a month of waiting so they need to know the correct one. And depending on their response cancel or keep the order and go find him something at the mall.

Thanks! I called again and got a really nice person who checked on it and said they do have it down as Celtics, they usually send a generic email when something is delayed and since the NBA store is based out of NYC the Knicks are usually the generic insert. So I wonder how many calls they get from people freaking out the team is wrong :) Anyway, she said that 3-5 business days to leave the warehouse is roughly accurate for non-peak times of the year like June and she does agree that there should be information on the page stating that customization takes longer during the holidays. She says I'm not the only one to call and complain about this. She can't say when it will ship but that they are working as fast as they can. So I'm going to let it ride. I'm really excited about it and I know he'll love it so I'll just try and wait. I think I'm most aggravated that it took 12 days and me making contact to learn it was delayed. And I'm further aggravated because he knows about 2 of his gifts and so the plan was to start with the 2 he knows and of the 3 he doesn't build to this one as "the big finish" but now that's just not going to happen, that's why I feel so deflated. HA! And hopefully it gets here in time for him to wear during one of six cold days a year in Fort Worth hahaha....first day of winter today and the high is supposed to hit 80 :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. Now I've just gotta wait and see how long it takes. Oh - and for the record, according to the lady this morning - the sweatshirt is made in Pakistan and shipped to China for customization before being shipped to me....so moral of the story, go buy something at the mall and take it to a local shop to have the custom stuff added LOL :D

I would request that they change your shipping for you at no extra charge as you intended this to be a Christmas present and ordered it in plenty of time with the understanding that their website was accrue. I'd ask them to send it 2 day shipping at a minimum.

I tried that and she said she would speak with her supervisor but had no authority to make that change herself. They did however email me a 20% code but of course it can't be used until 12/23 so that doesn't work for getting a replacement Christmas gift. Oh well. This is the only major issue I've had with buying online so I guess lesson learned :(

I hope it does arrive in time. I love ups shipping! Is there a way to find out if they shipped it two day ups? If they, ups really does do everything in there power to get things to their destination on time; I've had them bring things in near blizzard like conditions. Good luck

Me too! Only I was going to take off on my birthday (Christmas Eve) but since I had it shipped to the office and since it's on its way, guess I'm coming to work! LOL Totally worth it though if it makes it ;D

Get the heck out of there as soon as you get the package! :D Let us know when it gets there. Those custom hoodies are so cool, I'm sure your BF will LOVE it! Have a Merry Christmas!

THANKS! It just says "Service: Basic". Our UPS driver was just in here so I told him what was going on and he gave me his cell and told me if it doesn't come tomorrow, if the tracker says it's on his truck on Friday to call him and he'll come right here or meet me somewhere.

THANKS! It just says "Service: Basic". Our UPS driver was just in here so I told him what was going on and he gave me his cell and told me if it doesn't come tomorrow, if the tracker says it's on his truck on Friday to call him and he'll come right here or meet me somewhere.

WOW, nice driver!!!

I hope that your hoodie arrives by the 24th. You have such a nice UPS driver. For the most part, I think that the regular UPS drivers try to go the extra mile. This is like hearing the the trip that the Butterscotch Pony was making a couple of years ago. I hope that the hoodie situation has a VERY happy ending. It's also nice that you finally talked to someone in customer service that was helpful and sympathetic. It helps to improve the situation so much if the reps will just listen.

Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sounds like a great present!

Thanks you guys! And yes, it was good to finally talk to someone that will just listen. I'm in customer service too (a different kind but CS none the less) and things go so much better for you and the caller if you just don't assume what it is they are after.

And I think its a great gift only because 1) he loves the Celtics and 2) we went to Boston for the first time in September for a whole week and it was our favorite vacation ever, neither of us want to go anywhere else so this gift is a little reminder of great times!

Hi, I didn't have time to read the whole thread but I will tell you I ordered from them last year. A custom Mike Bibby hoodie for my daughter. It did at that time clearly state that it would take X number of days longer due to the customizing. When I received the hoodie, there was a ink mark about 1 inch long on the back. I called them and they sent me another hoodie and let me keep the first one. They were very professional when I used them. I do know that if you order pretty much anything custom, it will take more time. Sorry.

It's probably bad luck to say this but I think it might make it here tomorrow!! It left Louisville, KY yesterday afternoon...arrived/departed St. Louis this morning, arrived in Little Rock at 2pm today and departed at 3pm. Little Rock is only 300 miles away, it's 2/3's of the way here. I'm buying a lottery ticket if it makes it!!!!! :D