Disappointed in Target Debit Card

twinmom

I just sent this email to Target - so angry that I can not get the 5%. It may not seem like much, but with the amount I spend there, it would really add up!

"I had to write about my negative experience with Target. I wanted to get a Target Debit Card. I was told at the store that since I have an online bank (ING) that does not supply physical checks, that I would be unable to link my checking account to a Target debit card. I then called and spoke to someone in the Redcard department and was told that they were unable to do so at this time. I think that is unfair to anyone using an online banking institution that we can not take advantage of the 5% discount. I spend more money than I should at Target and in this economy, I am very disappointed in this policy.

I wanted to place an order for an item that is only available online. I asked a customer service representative as well as their supervisor if I could have the 5% discount extended to me since I do have a checking account but Target does not have the capability to link my type of account. I was told no.

Unfortunately, I feel I had a poor customer service experience and will be making my purchase elsewhere. I do enjoy shopping at my local Targets and usually have a pleasant experience. However, until my online banking account can be linked and the 5% discount is offered to everyone with a checking account, regardless of having a physical check, my visits will be very limited."

It is more the principle of the whole thing to be quite honest. I do have a checking account but am looking into changing banks and I am out of checks. I don't want to order any since I will be changing. However, the account that my husband's paycheck goes into, and the one I use all the time is ING because you earn interest - not much but hey, every little bit helps. So when I change banks and actually do have physical checks, I would have to transfer $$ into that account every time I wanted to shop at Target - too much of a hassle. We only write checks when absolutely necessary, ie for school photos, sports sign ups, etc. I can't understand why Target can't devise a way link your account online using your account & routing numbers.

Why not just apply for their CC. You would still get the 5% and you could pay it all off at the end of the month. I know you said it's the principle, but one of their stipulations is that you give them a voided check, so if you don't have one, you are not following the rules they set up.

Rose - I see your point, but I hope that they eventually allow you to use online bank accounts. I have been out of work for too long and can not apply for a credit card - plus I am not confident that I would pay it off every month so better not to have it at all!

On a side note, I noticed that you can't even use the debit card online so I guess I jumped the gun on this - whoops!