how do you get your mash potatoes to not be lumpy lol??

digman6

My DH insists on a few lumps - he says that's how he knows they are real! I just use my hand masher. Boil until soft, drain put butter in the bowl, add drained potatoes and mash. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like them creamier and sour cream, milk or cream. If you like them smoother use a hand mixer (or stand mixer if you have one.) Or you can really go wild and make them "loaded" - add sour cream, cheese, bacon, and/or chives.

exactly!!

Make sure your potatoes get done while boiling and they shouldn't be lumpy. I use an electic mixer for mine,add butter,milk or cream,salt and pepper.

exactly--if I get in a hurry and they aren't cooked all the way mine get lumpy. I boil mine until they are falling apart.

Boil potatos in water and chicken broth, drain when soft, put in large bowl and add salted REAL butter, 1/2c HEAVY CREAM and ground black pepper. Mix with mixer (<3 my kitchenaid!) If you are making a LARGE amount mix them half at time and then add them together and mix so you make sure to get all the lumps. If they are too thick add milk or cream. Add salt to taste...

I am well known for my tators :P

What she said except no chicken stock because I'm a vegetarian. I normally use milk in mine. If you want to get fancy, you can add some rosemary and garlic or whatever you like to them. Sometimes I make both and the spiced ones always go first.

I just want to say that I had great success with the mashed potatoes from GFS this year.

I got a 6 lb. tub for $3.99 and it said they were "real."

They were quite bland right out of the package (a blank canvas,if you will) so I added sour cream with chives,bacon bits,cheddar cheese and s/p

They weren't lumpy but they were SO good and not all that expensive.

I usually boil the heck outta my spuds then add all that stuff but this way was sooooo easier and not out of line expense wise.

we call the 'smooth' potatoes whipped or mashed & the 'lumpy' ones (sooooooooooo good with redskin potatoes!) smashed. i always like a little bit of potato skin in there, so i don't really peel them. also - i'm not a fan of using a mixer, but i don't like mine as creamy as some of you do! :)