What's on the menu for Thanksgiving?

Amber76

What are you making for Thanksgiving? Do you stick to the traditional items ot do you do something different? What are must have items at your table that it wouldn't feel like it was Thanksgiving without.

We pretty much stick to the tradional Thanksgiving foods but I am looking for some new ideas this year.

we usually have an oven cooked turkey (sometimes along with a deep fried one), salad, white rice, black beans, yucca, cuban bread, store bought pumpkin pie, homemade strawberry covered cheesecake and rum pecan cake. I probably missed some stuff since all I eat is the bread, rice and beans, it seems like plates are going back and forth for a long time. One year we had a stuffed turkey rollup with spinach and stuff and sometimes we get creative with a quiche or cheese/onion tart. For drinks we have sidra, wine, soda and water. Usually my aunt picks up some egg-nog from the farm stores which we liquor up with dessert.

We have a large family here is our typical menu:

Turkey, Dressing, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Macaroni & Cheese, Broccoli Salad, Corn, Green Beans, Sweet Potatoes/Casserole, Spinach Dip,Cranberry Sauce, Dinner Rolls

Dessert, Pumpkin Pies, Coconut Cream Pie, Something Chocolate? Another dessert or two. It's pretty traditional...can't wait!

I ordered a smoked turkey..one less thing to do. I'm going to try a new recipe for stuffing..in the crockpot. We're gonna have broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, green been casserole, rolls, chocolate mousse pie, pecan pie, cake balls...and I'm sure I'm missing something!

We always do Chinese food and go to the movies. Not very traditional I know but it is what we do. This year I am working and the boys are both going to g/f's families for a real

T-day meal ;) We will do our Chinese and movie day sometime soon after T-day though.

With my family:

Turkey

mashed potatoes & gravy

sweet potato casserole

noodles

peas

biscuits

apple tart

pumpkin cheesecake

MIL wants to do the Chinese buffet route this year, which I think is a hoot and am all for! DHs sisters are having a cow though. They want a traditional TG at Mother's. :rolleyes:

turkey, standing rib roast, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, tossed salad, corn, croissants, i think sandra lee made a caramel banana pudding i will make that and thinking of trifle one dessert trifle and one savory trifle

maybe going to try the pumpkin/banana pie tyler florence made also thinking of chocolate cookie crust and make a pumpkin ice box pie. chocolate and pumpkin i think might go together well

always home made cranberry relish but i am the only one who eats it

Also buttermilk pie

Edited by dealluvr
add

We always have roast turckey, mash potatoes, dressing, corn,cranberry sauce, homemade rolls which I make, Pumpking pie which I make and lemon lush. SOmetimes another vegetable salad. I was raised that tradition is important and my 13 year old cannot wait til thanksgiving although the rolls are the only thing he will eat.

I love laying out a festive Thanksgiving meal, but my father-in-law is coming and he thinks he is doing me a favor by keeping me out of the kitchen.

*sigh*

So, this year will be Cracker Barrel, and after father-in-law leaves I'll stock up on discounted Thanksgiving items and make us a festive meal the next week.

I love laying out a festive Thanksgiving meal, but my father-in-law is coming and he thinks he is doing me a favor by keeping me out of the kitchen.

*sigh*

So, this year will be Cracker Barrel, and after father-in-law leaves I'll stock up on discounted Thanksgiving items and make us a festive meal the next week.

Great idea Gator Pam!

Our Thanksgiving is traditional too, well except that it won't be on Thanksgiving this year. It's a little confusing. We will have a Thanksgiving meal at DH's work before his group goes out of town. A few days later we will have our own Thanksgiving meal with Turkey, gravy (LOVE homemade gravy!) homemade stuffing YUM!, mashed potatoes with an obscene amount of butter in them, corn, and pie. I will most likely make a pumpkin, but I kinda want a sweet potato pie too. :D I also make my own cranberry sauce, but just a small amount since I am the only one that eats it.

I am so hungry for turkey right now!

We always have so much food...sometimes I can't even try everything because there is way too much!

Turkey

Ham

Dressing

Jiblet Gravy

Peas

Mac-n-Cheese

Green Bean casserole

Pear Salad

Cream Corn

Mashed Potatoes

Cranberries

Lima Beans

Corn Bread

Rolls

For Dessert:

Cheese Cake

Pudding Delight

Pecan Pie

Red Velvet Cake

Yummy, yummy!

*sigh*

He can come keep me out of the kitchen LOL. I think we are doing Golden Corral... Might order a dinner from Publix.... can't decide.

Turkey, Ham, mash potatos, baked mac and cheese, potato salad, stuffing, deviled eggs, green beans, collards, candied yams, succotash, cranberry sause, rolls, gravy, watergate salad, fruit salad, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie, lemon pie, coconut pie, coconut cake, Mom and I do most of the cooking. This is the first year I have asked my DD and DILs to bring a dish. We usually have enough leftovers to send some home with everyone too.

I can't wait!!!!

We are pretty traditional... this year my Gma, mom, sister, and I are going to all get in and make everything together at my Gma's house. Its going to be a lot of fun!!!

Honey-apple home smoked turkey

Bourbon-Gingersnap ham

Dressing (I would do a sausage dressing, but my Gma is a vegetarian (in a family full of meat-obsessed hunters- LOL), so I have to alter the recipe a bit...)

Candied Sweet Potatoes or a sweet potato casserole, I'm not sure which

Sour cream and chive mashed potatoes

Deviled Eggs

Cheddar cheese and green olive stuffed celery

Rolls

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Cream Cheese ball with Wheat Thins for snacking on while we cook everything else...

Dessert this year will be...

Homemade pumpkin pie

Homemade Pecan pie

and I am going to make a Sweet Potato Cheesecake with candied pecans for the first time- hopefully its good!

Very traditional here too we will have Turkey, Ham,Tater to cass., green bean cass., Cream Corn, Broccoli cass. Mashed potatoes,Cherry Fluff,Pink stuff(Cottage chesse, cool whip, cherry jello and crushed pineapple)Cheese ball ,Salad ......Pumpkin Rolls, Pumpkin Pie Cheese Cake ,Cherry Cheese Cake & Black Berry Cobbler and probably lots more???

Apparently Japan has no idea what turkeys are. Closest thing I have seen is KFC selling a Holiday Set (for 3500 yen!) Which includes a broasted chicken. Not sure how big it is though.

Then again I work Thursday so being realistic it's going to end up being McDonalds or Matsuya. Or hey like SpeedDiva said a Chinese buffet sounds good :D