Sticky Family Stiuation - Gift Ideas for Girls 9/10yo

Princess7915

Hi all - I'll make this as brief as possible! DH has a sticky family situation at best. He has very little to do with his father (and his dad's girlfriend of about 10 years). However Dad and girlfriend have two kids - DH's two half sisters. The girls adore my DH and he loves them even though we don't see them very much b/c of relationship with Dad. Anyway,every year I try to send the girls ( 9 & 10 ) nice gifts from DH b/c I know they love him so much. It's hard b/c I have no idea what they have, or what they like. They have sent us lists before but it's crazy stuff - not useful. Cash is tricky b/c sometimes I'm not sure they actually get it or if the "mom" gets it. I don't want to be rude, so I'll just say DH's dad and family is very redneck backwoods and leave it at that. I need some help on ideas. The girls lose stuff all the time so anything with stuff to keep track of is out. I don't know what kind of game system they may have - and its just hard to ask. I hate this time of year for them.

If you don't see them much I would think clothing would be tricky but you could do a nightgown and slipper socks. A pretty necklace and maybe a jewelry box (Kohls has some for 9.99 on BF). My DD is 7 and she enjoys things from BBWs too so some shower gels and body sprays would be nice. A newly released video. Art kits maybe even ones where you can have their names put on them. My DD loves to draw, color and paint.

I would also a suggest a new purse and wallet and then put gift cards in the wallet.

my neice,10, wants sing a ma jigs. i got 2 for her already. they just require batteries and they came with batteries in them already.

i also have gotten her a miniature tea set from collections it was under $10 she loves it

i am also getting things together for a bath set for her;scented girlie bubble bath,lotion,lip gloss stuff like that

i always loveto get her a few pairs of cutesy stretchable gloves.

a board game is good.they might not play it but if it is snowy and they get snowed in they may love it

I totally understand where your coming from.. However, being a parent of two kids who receive gifts from relatives, I would probably suggest you go along the lines of what the kids have thought out and really want. My kids make a wish list every year- of things they would really like to have and would play with for a long time... but our relatives don't even consult the list and they get other stuff, which ends up being stuff the kids either have or don't like or won't play with. Yes, Christmas is about giving and thats the thought that counts. But the lists are there, in my opinion, to help everybody.. the kids will receive things they really wanted and the relative gets the satisfaction of the smiles and happiness created from giving such a wanted gift (which is what a "giver" wants, right?). I feel bad when the item gets pushed aside because the child has it or doesn't want it- kids will be kids, and at that age they really can't hide their disappointment (tact and graciousness is a learned trait kids aren't born with). And when kids get something they've wanted, the giver's money wasn't wasted. If my kids get something they won't play with or didn't like, we regift it or donate it. Not sure thats what you'd have in mind when you buy them something.. maybe picking off their lists would be best. I'm always thankful when people use wish lists or when they offer me one to look through.

I totally understand where your coming from.. However, being a parent of two kids who receive gifts from relatives, I would probably suggest you go along the lines of what the kids have thought out and really want. My kids make a wish list every year- of things they would really like to have and would play with for a long time... but our relatives don't even consult the list and they get other stuff, which ends up being stuff the kids either have or don't like or won't play with. Yes, Christmas is about giving and thats the thought that counts. But the lists are there, in my opinion, to help everybody.. the kids will receive things they really wanted and the relative gets the satisfaction of the smiles and happiness created from giving such a wanted gift (which is what a "giver" wants, right?). I feel bad when the item gets pushed aside because the child has it or doesn't want it- kids will be kids, and at that age they really can't hide their disappointment (tact and graciousness is a learned trait kids aren't born with). And when kids get something they've wanted, the giver's money wasn't wasted. If my kids get something they won't play with or didn't like, we regift it or donate it. Not sure thats what you'd have in mind when you buy them something.. maybe picking off their lists would be best. I'm always thankful when people use wish lists or when they offer me one to look through.

No, when I say their lists are not useful I really mean it :( I wish they were. I've asked the girls to make me lists and email them to me. The parents don't have the girls make lists - and they go shopping separately (gifts from dad and gifts from mom). The lists consist of $200 + items and things that I would never buy them such as new bikes and scooters. I would like to get them some games b/c they are so close in age but they lose everything! DH says the pieces will just get lost and he doesn't want to go the game route. They are not girly girls - very much tom-boy girls or I'd be all over the lip smackers and purses. I thought of the Pictureka game that's on sale (DH said no) but does anyone know how many "small" pieces it has?? I got Bratz dolls one year - never heard how they went over. I got Hello Kitty shirts last year, I don't think they ever wore them. PJ's are generally safe. However I think "mom" doesn't dress them in the "tainted" clothes from us. (AGGH!) This is just it - we never get thank you's so we don't know if the girls liked what we sent!! It's VERY frustrating - but I do it for DH - certainly not for me. I know the girls light up when a huge box of gifts arrives from him.

If they are tomboyish I would go that route. We use to get my older DD(she grewup with 4 brothers and wanted to play with them) Radio control cars, hockey sticks, goals, soccer balls, bats, base balls, and gloves. She still remembers her purple radio control car because it was faster that the boys cars!!

i was going to say softball gloves and balls, how about a journal,

WOuld your dh be willing to have a picture with a sign that say I love insert sisters name then I love insert other sisters name and frame them.

food gifts hug choclate bars, gum etectera

Softball gloves are not generic and need to be fitted for their hands. As softball gloves come in different sizes.

Now on the other hand, My softball daughter loves flannel pants, she loves to read, you can find cheap cameras, and there are several DVD games out there that do not have many pieces.

3 ideas I thought of:

1) Accessories for the larger items that they already have or will be getting (?)-- like helmets, knee & elbow pads for a scooter or bike; or some decor (or school supplies) in the same theme as some of the big items they've mentioned before (removable wall stickers, notebooks, folders, a desk lamp, etc)

2) Gift cards to somewhere that the girls would enjoy but wouldn't be of benefit to the parents-- a children's clothing store; Toys R Us; one of those pizza & game room places, etc-- but put the gift card inside of a small wrapped gift set or gift basket (maybe candy, lotions, or gloves/scarf), so the parents don't immediately see it like they would in a card

3) A "DIY photo session" package: get each girl a fairly nice photo album. If you're not sure if they have a digital camera, get each a disposable camera (if they do have digital cameras, see if Snapfish or a similar site has a way to give someone credits for free prints, and print out a reciept & directions to use those). Add in a bunch of those stickers made to go on photos, that have silly or cute sayings on them. Then find some cute/silly dress-up things that you think would match their personalities. Put everything in either a regular cardboard box or a little "trunk" of some sort, with a computer-made "certificate" for each of them (maybe inserted on the 1st page of the album?), something like "This certificate entitles _________ (receiver's name in big letters) to a FREE photo session, courtesy of _________'s (sister's name) Photography"

You could always start a college fund. You can write them a nice card, with a note saying that you started one. Every year you can add to it. Maybe when they are older, they will appreciate the gifts. If you add even just $50, you could do alot in the next 8-9 years until they are in college. You can add for birthday, christmas, and any other occassion where they would recieve useless gifts, that you are not even sure will get to them.

Just a thought. :/

Edited by coupons4alexis
spelling