Home for the holidays vs. vacation

dwc designs

Everyone knows the song there is no place like home for the holidays, but how true is it? This year DW and I were thinking about doing a mini vaction with our girls, DD5 and DD8. We have 2 choices, either stay in Manhattan and do the NYC Christmas. The other is to stay in a private house in the Pocanos, PA. If we do go away we will exchange a few gifts but it won't be the big christmas' like we usually do. I'm kind of torn because I love playing sleep when the girls run in to wake us so they can see what santa brought and the traditional stuff. I also would like to try something new and have the girls experience something different.

So I'm kind of wondering if anyone has traveled and spent christmas away from home? Also how does it compare to being home?

I am definitely on the stay-at-home side of the fence. I think if your girls were older it would be a fun thing to do. I think at their ages, it may be a let-down to not wake up in their own home to the traditional Christmas morning with all the gifts under the tree and to know that Santa had been there. Could you do a mini-vacation maybe before or after Christmas and still have the traditional Christmas morning at your house?

With all of that said, I've never been away from home for Christmas, so someone who has may have a different point of view. When I think of things like this I try to remember "when I was their age" and think how I would have felt.

That's the one thing I'm unsure about. the girls are used to the big day with the cookies for santa, the reindeer food, and the presents. Although they are really appreciative and don't ask for much we always go overboard. I think we as parents kind of set the children up with these expectations. Thanks for the input, because I'm in the same boat. We only know the traditional holiday and haven't tried anything new. AAgggh decisions.

I have always been the one that stays home for Xmas. I will go anywhere for any of the other holidays, but Xmas I wanted the kids to wake up in their own home and see the Santa experience. Now that they are older (DD12 & DD almost 15) and no longer believe I am thinking within the next couple years I would love to do Disney at Xmas. I wanted them to believe in Santa etc as long as possible, now those days are over :( so I am willing to try something new.

How about for your mini vacation you leave after Xmas morning. That way your children still wake up to their normal celebration, but you can start something new. I live in the Poconos, PA it is beautiful here in the Winter with the snow on the ground (not that I want any snow)

Good Luck with what you decide to do.

We always traveled when my kids were little. We lived in GA and our families lived in both NC and SC. I desperately wanted to stay home, but my ex would never cave. He finally did and it was so joyous to wake up Christmas morning in my own home!

Even if you decide to do NYC for Christmas, who says you can't do the Santa thing? There are a few suite type hotels that will give you a separate sleeping area and then like a sitting area with a sleeper sofa. You can always bring your own mini tree to decorate on Christmas Eve or whenever you checkin. Then when the kids go to sleep, put out the cookies and milk, etc - shut them off in the bedroom and do what you normally do when they go to bed at home - lol.

when i was younger i remember several xmas that we were not home. and looking back, i loved being on a trip as much as being at home. we did the same nite time routine at the hotel as we would do at home. you can bake cookies ahead of time to take w/you for santa......or as i remember santa was just fine with oreos and/or chips ahoy. LOL. and honestly, i didnt even realize it till i was older that we recieved less presents when we were on trips. it was the excitement of being away.....and still having santa bring us gifts. i live in illinois.....and none of my other friends got to open presents xmas morning and then go swimming at the pool!! LOL to me the holiday are what you make of it, wether you are home or away =)

I have never been away at Christmas but I do think your children would love it. You can still do the rituals like the previous poster stated and have a great time. I learned years ago that kids don't really notice that they got less gifts unless we bring it to their attention.