Price Matching/Adjustment on Black Friday

tinkrbel

I went to Walmart Last year on BF and was the first one at the checkout lines at about 5:05 AM. I had my husband (then fiance) with me and after he and I grabbed what we wanted most, he shopped while I took our Pricematching items (small things like CD's, DVD's etc. to the register) The cashier had no clue about how to pricematch an item (why she was working at all on bf, I don't know), but they called the manager over and everything went smoothly. They did require I hand over my best buy, target and any other ads I was pricematching and the manager was specific that she needed the entire ads (all pages) to keep so that they could do the pricematching. She said that when they go through the pricematched items at the end of the day, they have to have the items circled and that one of the managers must verify that everything was purchased at the correct time in accordance with the ads. Although it took about 20 mins for everything to be correctly adjusted, they didn't mind pming for me because I made sure that I bought the exact items from the ad. Many of the CD's were from best buy which had low limits (like min. 10-20 per store) so it was great to be able to get what I needed at WM without having to go through the madness of BB.

• 2 weeks later...
You are very fortunate to have been able to price-match at such a critical time! I will bet that many consider it extremely rude to take up so much time during the rush, so it is better to get the regular sale items , then head to the service desk which is set up for price matching until the rush is over. The afternoon is the best time for the 2 day sale price matching, and the service desk is still the best place to go. Edited by jaymacfla
clarification

Remember also that Target will allow you to get money back on a previous purchase if it is lower in the ad. I have used this to my advantage several times to get Target doorbuster items without the lines. Just make SURE it is the correct item in the ad and you can purchase it up to a week in advance, run in there after you are done shopping and get the difference back. It would be just like you waited in line to get them!

i love doing this!!! been doing this for years!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I PM every year at WM on BF, and have never had a problem. I usually do small stuff like DVDs, games, etc. I scope what I want from other stores, circle the ads, and take them with me shopping. It all goes very smoothly and quickly, never an issue. Saves me lots of time and money. I love it.

I know that Walmart will still PM on Black Friday - but they are very careful. Like if Store X is running a sale from 5am til 10am and you are at a 24 hour Walmart - they will not PM until 5am on the dot.

The registers at Walmart will not allow any BF items to be sold for the sale price until 5am. IF they even let you buy the item prior to 5am, they will charge you regular price and not PM their ad if you return later. Also, many stores, as I believe Jim said, have BF clauses in the PM. They will not match any doorbusters and many will not match any BF sales.

thats not always the case with everything as i know a manager at 1 store who even lets me buy the items a week before they go on black friday sales then i bring the reciept back and get the diffrence so thats not true in all cases as i bought 3 items last year from best buy before hand same sku's its up the the manager

Just be sure you find out in advance if they will do price adjusting. Last year I wanted 2 TVs so I called the Target in my town a few days before BF and asked about price adjusting. They adamantly told me that they would NOT be price adjusting on BF. So I called the Target in the next town and they were happy to tell me they would absolutely price adjust as long as I went in to get the adjustment during the time the item was on sale. I always get the name of the person who tells me yes and ask if they will be in during that time. If they won't be there I ask to speak to someone who will be there during that time. This way if there is any question, I have a contact person to go to. I also usually ask for that contact person the day I actually buy the item and confirm that they will price adjust - this way they usually remember me on BF if there's a problemWorks for me every time.

Yeah, I did this last year with a TV also. I bought it on Wednesday night and PMed it on Friday. At first, the people told us 'no'. Our next attempt at another Target, they said 'No problem'. It turned out great. My only concern at first was that I got what they said was the 'last one' and I was afraid maybe it had a different SKU. But no worries...it all worked great. My only fear now is that in the next year or two, Target is going to catch on and stop PM on previous purchases for the BF sales.

I price match at walmart when they don't hide the stuff, They have taken movies off the shelves every year so you can't price match

Lol. That's why I take a few minutes of Thursday to run in and statch the movies I plan to price match in a safe place before they statch them somewhere else so I can't. Other than that issue I've never had a problem with pm on bf at Walmart.

Last year we got a pricey lcd tv for pretty darn cheap at Wal-Mart by doing PM from the Sears ad. We knew there was no way we'd get one of the few they actually had at Sears, so we opted to PM. Two days before or so, we actually took the Sears ad to Wal-Mart and we asked someone there. I know some people say never ask, but it took away some of the potential confusion and drama for Friday. We wrote down the name of the clerk that said we could absolutely do it, and went on our way.

Friday we rolled into Wal-Mart hours after opening and got the TV nobody else was touching and the manager ok'd it and we left 2 very happy campers. Last year I feel like they were advertising specifically the price matching thing. Go armed with as much back up as possible, and scope out the stores early to be able to make your argument if it's something that's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year we got a pricey lcd tv for pretty darn cheap at Wal-Mart by doing PM from the Sears ad. We knew there was no way we'd get one of the few they actually had at Sears, so we opted to PM. Two days before or so, we actually took the Sears ad to Wal-Mart and we asked someone there. I know some people say never ask, but it took away some of the potential confusion and drama for Friday. We wrote down the name of the clerk that said we could absolutely do it, and went on our way.

Friday we rolled into Wal-Mart hours after opening and got the TV nobody else was touching and the manager ok'd it and we left 2 very happy campers. Last year I feel like they were advertising specifically the price matching thing. Go armed with as much back up as possible, and scope out the stores early to be able to make your argument if it's something that's worth it.

There is a big difference in what you did as opposed to the questionable ethics of the Price adjustment. Circumventing the system is good for the one who gets away with it, but hurts others who show up for the anticipated stock on hand, and since many that buy beforehand are trying to be "Slick", the reality is that the items will not be there as promised. Participating in this way hurts all involved and turns off customers who in turn blame the store for not having the required items. I realize that the offending stores must change and instruct their managers to not price adjust any items during this particular sale week. I would personally fire a manager or store clerk who price-adjusted their own stock. It is no different than the Walmart employees who were caught giving super discounts on big ticket items to friends and family members, and even intentionally scanning the wrong item to get a much more expensive item on the cheap. Edited by jaymacfla
spellcheck

Target Price matching Policy:

http://sites.target.com/site/en/company/page.jsp?contentId=WCMP04-040400

Early Bird Specials specifically excluded

Wal-Mart Price matching Policy:

http://walmartstores.com/7659.aspx

Sears Price matching Policy (Should apply to Kmart, The Great Indoors, etc.)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12605_NB_CSpricematch

Best Buy Price Match

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Best-Buy-Retail-Store-Price-Match-Guarantee/pcmcat204400050013.c?id=pcmcat204400050013

Specifically excludes all sales from Thanksgiving through the Saturday after Thanksgiving so no price-matching on black Friday

I say print off these and work within the guidelines spelled out. If you take this with you and ask beforehand there should be no problems.

Wal-Mart and K-Mart should be a go no matter what. Best Buy not on Black Friday. Target everything but early bird specials.

I always buy the sale items at Target the Sunday or so before Black Friday, take my receipt in on Friday during the afternoon after the mad rush, and they always give me the price adjustments (other than the doorbusters). It sure saves my sanity!

I always buy the sale items at Target the Sunday or so before Black Friday, take my receipt in on Friday during the afternoon after the mad rush, and they always give me the price adjustments (other than the doorbusters). It sure saves my sanity!

I've been doing this at Target for the past 2 years with no problems. I do take Target's Price Adjustment policy with me, just in case....