Anyhoo, I'm back for BF 2010, and that means so are the ... ::INSERT THEME MUSIC HERE:: ...
Black Friday 2010 Product Comparison Charts!
For those who don't know, I've been responsible for puttin' up comparison charts for the BF desktops and laptops for the past several years. Since 2005 if memory serves correctly. Has it been that long? In 2007 I strayed away from the MS Excel page-type look of the charts and coded a frontend and a database that allowed folks to select what they wanna see and how they wanna see it. Been plannin on updatin' this for some time but, as I said before, things in my life got a lil' outta hand these last few years.
Well, now I've got some new ideas and great stuff planned for this year. First thing I'd like everyone to do is go to my new website and check out the comparison chart from last year. Thanx to 'inogenius' for providing the space and bandwidth as well as helpin' me get the site up, and thanx again to 'Swim100flyy' and co. for the laptop/netbook info. Last year's charts are at the same place where the 2010 charts are going to be: http://blackfriday.thestationchief.com. It's the same setup as 2008, just with the added 2009 info. Go check it out and tell me what'cha think about the chart setup. There's lots of features. What do ya like? What don'tcha like? Easy enough to use? Any improvements you'd like to see this year? Don't be afraid if it sounds too far fetched. That's my job to worry about that.
One thing I've got planned is to not only include the desktops and laptops this year, but ALL the major electronics. To pul this off I might need some help with researchin' the specific details of the different products (size, make, model, screen type, resolution, etc) so I'll be askin' for volunteers to help with that. You'll be using my web based admin pages to enter all that info, so no coding experience necessary. More on that later.
Current TO-DO list planned so far. I'll update as I go along:
- Changing the overall look and colors a lil' bit to match the 'pleasing' visual appearance appropriate of the GD web site. This is the part I have the most problem with. I'm a coder geek, not a multimedia guru. (DONE)
- Adding a feature to allow ya to select what details to view. All that tekkie mumbo-jumbo is good for some but intimidating to others. Let's say ya just wanna copmpare the different HDTV screen sizes or just the laptops' memory and hard drive capacities. (ABILITY TO FILTER BY STORES DONE)
- A printable view. Just a lil' feature to put all the info up (with what features you've selected to compare) in another window and in a more printer-friendly format.
- More charts to select from other than just desktops/laptops/netbooks. Wanna get just about all the major electronics, either BF sales or doorbusters, in this. (DONE)
Currently on the list of charts to be made for 2010 (UPDATED 11-12-10):
- Digital Cameras, PAS/SLI/Kiddies
- Digital Camcorders
- Video Game Systems
- Video Games
- GPS Navigation Systems
- Blu-ray players
- MP3 players
- DVD Players/Systems
- Portable DVD Players
- ... and more!
(what have I gotten myself into?! )
Once again, thanx go out to 'inogenius' for helping set up the web site. And thanx to 'Swim100flyy' and those responsible for makin' last year's laptop/netbook chart in my absebce. And let's not forget to thank the team of GD members that helped out with filling out the chars this year. Couldn't have done all this without such an awesome group of crazy peeps!
Lemme know what y'all think!
UPDATE: The 2010 charts are up and running! Go check 'em out!
Edited by stationchief, Nov 21, 2010 - 12:17 pm.