need gift ideas for extended family

glm777

For the past several years I've given all my extended family (ie: cousins, aunts, etc) the same gift. One year everyone got bathrobes, another year they all got fleece blankets, last year they all got tickets to a hockey game. My problem this year is that with 2 kids in college - I can't afford $50 each! I'd like to keep my budget at about $25. I'm running out of gift ideas. I thought about digital picture frames this year but I'm not sure I could get them for $25. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice gift? I will warn you - they are NOT the type to appreciate homemade cookies as a gift LOL! Edited by Rockfordmom
edited title

For the past several years I've given all my extended family (ie: cousins, aunts, etc) the same gift. One year everyone got bathrobes, another year they all got fleece blankets, last year they all got tickets to a hockey game. My problem this year is that with 2 kids in college - I can't afford $50 each! I'd like to keep my budget at about $25. I'm running out of gift ideas. I thought about digital picture frames his year but I'm not sure I could get them for $25. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice gift? I will warn you - they are NOT the type to appreciate homemade cookies as a gift LOL!

See my family would totally go for cookies or a sour cream cake. Shame you've done blankets or I would suggest snuggies....LOL Digital Frames are a great idea, depends on features and size as to price, my brothers will probably get Walmart gift cards taped to a Hershey bar or something of that type. Gonna be a little tight this Christmas.

Make a lump-sum donation, in your family's name, to a charity that would be meaningful to you as a group. Children's cancer... hungry children around the world... or whatever:) If anyone complained about that, they are selfish cold-hearted jerks. At a budget of $25 per person in your family, it could be a good sized donation that would definitely make an impact in the lives of less fortunate children. And some places will send you an official thank you type letter you can present/read to your family as you announce your "gift".

I got digital ornaments and frames from walmart.com year before last and used them last year. They were tiny frames but you could take out of xmas themed frame and use plain black one and leave on desk/nightstand year round. Digital Frames were priced about $20-30 last BF I think. Walgreens clearance the older model digital keychains every so often so you can get them for $5 sometimes.

Maybe just keep an eye out for sales and just bulk buy whatever catches your fancy. While I like the same gift idea for the purposes of list keeping, it seems like it would be a downer at gift opening time. I don't think I'm creative enough to get something like this to work but following on movie thread maybe a home movie kit for each person/family. DVD/Bluray to their liking with some popcorn/candy. There was a thread about similar stuff for teachers a while back I think.

what about magazine subscriptions? many are less than $25/year.

i salute you. buying for everyone takes work. i'd organize a family grabbag where everyone pulls one name and buys for one person! said goodbye to the present for everyone a few years ago and it's so much easier but still merry.