Walmart rip off

I bought one of those $69 Kodak camera deals on Black Friday. Recieved the box two days ago and opened it yesterday. As soon as I picked it up I knew something was wrong. Too light. I opened it up and found a packing slip for the camera and a pad of Staples sticky notes. I'm guessing someone packing it stole my camera. I could see and error in packaging if the box was empty but with the sticky pad in there it had a little bit of weight. Of course, there is no number to call walmart's online department only an email. It's been 12 hours and I'm still waiting. I'm furious and very much hoping they will send me a new bundle immediately. How do you give a gift of an empty box to a teen and say sorry, Walmart has to solve their theft issue before you get your gift. I'm going to start looking up numbers for the headquarters if I don't hear something soon.

this has been happening all over lately! It's not just Walmart. At least they have to weigh the package when it leaves the shipping facility - so they should know where the theft took place.

Good luck getting it resolved with Walmart.

If not, can't you dispute the charge with your credit card company?

Thanks Mike, I called Walmart. The woman was very nice. Although they never responded to my email, they had already made arrangements to reship, although the woman wasn't happy that they hadn't done it expedited. She told me it would get here by the 24th anyway. I'm guessing the reason there was a sticky pad inside was so it would pass the weight test. It was supposed to weight .44 pounds and it weighed about .38 pounds with the pad inside. She said a report would be generated due to the "item missing" claim. She also said they probably already knew about it. The woman was kind enough to offer to send me a $15 gift card for my trouble. That was nice, although it doesn't really compensate for the stress level for this whole thing.

This happened last year to a friend of mine. It was supposed to be a gps and it was NOTHING. The box was completely empty, except for the packing slip. Walmart shipped her out another gps with 2 day shipping, I thought they handled it pretty great, it only took her a few minutes on the phone.

Wow. I have never heard of anything like this happening. I am bad about not opening my packages. I usually just take them right to the basement cause I dont want take a chance on the kids seeing what is inside.

sadly it happens too often, in too many places... I worked for Kmart... um... 12 yrs ago... we had to check returns, even sealed ones, to make sure the item truly was what it said it was... no rocks, or bricks, or whatever. It was always suspected to be the customer, however... so I am glad they did not question OP

I am really impressed by Wal-mart's response. Of course, it would have been nice of them to send an email to let you know a new one is on the way. I recieved 2 broken digital frames from Walmart last year. I sent an email, but never got a response and couldn't find a phone number. Luckily, I was able to return them at a WM store.

Glad to hear that this seems to be going OK (tell us the outcome).

For general reference it is also good to remember that many credit cards offer some protection in such cases (especially American Express), as they can cancel the charges (even after the charge has appeared on your account) if a merchant does not cooperate.

So I got my replacement camera - Fedex showed up at 8:45 pm to deliver it. Of course, I opened the box right away. The camera was inside, but I purchased a bundle with a SD card and case and they were not included. Right back on the phone to a very nice woman who said she would ship out the bundle right away. I asked if they could just send me the missing parts and she said no. She also said I SHOULD get it by Christmas. We chatted back and forth until she said it would be shipped out the way the last order was. Well, since the last order came Fedex I'm hoping the next one comes that way. If so, it should be here Tuesday, otherwise I'm hoping for pre-Christmas delivery. She was nice, but this is kind of ridiculous and I told her so. I used the gift card they gave me after the first incident -- it could only be used for an online purchase, which was also kind of ridiculous. Let's hope I get the entire bundle I originally paid for in the next few days. Not so sure about ordering online from Walmart anymore.

sadly it happens too often, in too many places... I worked for Kmart... um... 12 yrs ago... we had to check returns, even sealed ones, to make sure the item truly was what it said it was... no rocks, or bricks, or whatever. It was always suspected to be the customer, however... so I am glad they did not question OP

That made me think back on returns that I have made and not once have they ever opened up a box to make sure the item was in there. I just returned a box of Christmas lights since 1/2 the strip didn't work. Didn't check inside, just set them aside.

I went to Walmart the other day to see if they had any of the PS3 bundles left. One was on the shelf. Clerk and I got it out to inspect - and it had been opened - sure enough - no free games and movie. Someone had bought it and taken the extra stuff out and returned...

That made me think back on returns that I have made and not once have they ever opened up a box to make sure the item was in there. I just returned a box of Christmas lights since 1/2 the strip didn't work. Didn't check inside, just set them aside.

IIRC the expensive stuff was top priority... trickle down to xmas lights... heck, if you did rip us off it was only a couple bucks... it was better PR to accept that without checking, and not tick you off...

I worked Customer Service Desk... and was good at having the ticked off customers leave smiling.

Hopefully you'll get your camera in plenty of time for 12/24. And I also hope Walmart has all kinds of surveillance on their packers and knows who did it. Because when this happens, it costs ALL of us in the form of higher prices, insurance, etc.

I sure hope they up the surveillance and catch these crooks too.

OP I am glad it was resolved quickly and she was nice about it--but I'd really want that package BEFORE the 24th. They should be making it come BEFORE--some people go out of town, some people open presents that night! I might have pushed it and said I need it guaranteed by 23rd, we are driving overnight to be with family on 24th.

Best of luck, I hope your teen is really happy with their gift. :fluffy:

I sure hope they up the surveillance and catch these crooks too.

OP I am glad it was resolved quickly and she was nice about it--but I'd really want that package BEFORE the 24th. They should be making it come BEFORE--some people go out of town, some people open presents that night! I might have pushed it and said I need it guaranteed by 23rd, we are driving overnight to be with family on 24th.

Best of luck, I hope your teen is really happy with their gift. :fluffy:

some people celebrate hannukah and have already started... :)