Phones in BB BF Ad

Bursley2010

Hi everyone-

I noticed in the BF ad for BB that some of the phones say "Upgrade Same Price" by them... anyone happen to know what exactly they consider a qualified upgrade? Is it possible that we can just sign a new two year agreement on top of our existing contract to just have it tacked on and get some new phones? My fiance's contract is up in February and we're hoping he will be a qualified upgrade...

Also, do the phones go quickly? They're not exactly titled "doorbusters", but you can't beat a free blackberry...

Any insight appreciated! Never considered new cell phones Black Friday before...

Hi everyone-

I noticed in the BF ad for BB that some of the phones say "Upgrade Same Price" by them... anyone happen to know what exactly they consider a qualified upgrade? Is it possible that we can just sign a new two year agreement on top of our existing contract to just have it tacked on and get some new phones? My fiance's contract is up in February and we're hoping he will be a qualified upgrade...

Also, do the phones go quickly? They're not exactly titled "doorbusters", but you can't beat a free blackberry...

Any insight appreciated! Never considered new cell phones Black Friday before...

Qualified upgrade means that your phone company considers you in an upgrade period. that time period varies between companies as well as between users...

I am in an upgrade period for my phone, but I'm not sure if it's the right upgrade period. With Sprint, you get an upgrade discount if you've used your current phone for at least one year, or 22 months. I'm within the one year period, but I haven't hit 22 months yet.

Would anyone happen to know if that would mean I am eligible for the Black Friday sales on the phones? The only thing I'm really looking for at BB would be the free Blackberry or free Instinct, but if I can't get any of the rebates yet that would make those phones actually affordable, then I'd rather not wait in that long line...

Not sure if you can upgrade your phone -- a call to Sprint's service line could answer that one. I know on the AT&T web site I can see if my lines are eligible for an upgrade.

--------

On BF 2008, my wife and I upgraded (renewed our contract) with AT&T through Radio Shack.

On the day before Thanksgiving, I called two local Radio Shacks to check their stock on the phones from the circular. I also asked what time we should be there...

The manager of the one store said it wasn't necessary to show up before 9 am because cell phones aren't a super hot seller on BF.

Also, in my experience, it takes about 20 minutes to sign up for a new contract, per line. Between getting the phone, setting up the service, printing/reading (skimming)/signing the contract, paying for the phone, transferring numbers over, etc. It all ads up...

Just try to do that at 5 am in a swamped Best Buy, with people bumping into you, other rude people interrupting you or the BB employee to ask where the DVDs are, or for the employee to fetch some item from a top shelf, whatever. It would be a hellish experience... Either it'll take double the normal amount of time (40+ minutes), or the employee is going to need to be very short with you because you are only buying an item that the store makes maybe $100 on and he/she can't afford to give you undivided attention for 20 minutes.

But by all means, double-check your local Best Buy -- I have a feeling that they'll say not to bother before 8 am at the earliest.

And also take a second look at the Sprint phones that Radio Shack is going to have on BF. There are more Radio Shack stores, some are in some really out-of-the-way places (less busy).