Sanyo 50 in.

dramaqueen72500

My daughters wanting an lcd. Her husband told her no way for a plasma. They get very hot and use lots of electricity. He said they are outdated now that they have new led's. The tv store her in our town said if they are left on a lot, they only have certain hours of life and then need costly repairs. Our walmart had lots of extra tv's last year.

^^ Umm yeah, please elaborate on your "plasma's are bad and being phased out". Funny, generally speaking of course, plasma's have blacker blacks and whiter whites than any LCD, I can view a plasma clearly once off axis to them unlike LCD's and most have a better contrast ratio than any LCD. I personally own 2 plasma's, a Sammy 50" 1080p and a Kuro. Maybe you should read the reviews of both of them and compare to any LCD on the market and you will be suprised on how bad plasmas are (??).

Its blanket statements like that totally turn me off to even posting in some of these threads. Maybe you should research before you make unfounded claims and mislead people that truly are looking for advice.....

I too prefer Plasma over LCD by far. The black level is WAY better on a Plasma and I just like the look of them much better. The biggest drawback for me is the power they take up, but I'll put up with that for a TV that I like better. I currently have a 50" in the living room and am planning on getting the 42" plasma at Walmart on BF...unless Amazon has a equal deal before that. There are other things I'd like to get on BF if I don't have to be standing in the line.

I'm so confused about which kind of tv to get too. We want the size of a 50+ tv, but I keep hearing negative things about a plasma. The price is pretty good for a 50" plasma on BF, I am just not very knowledgeable enough about plasma and lcd to confidently purchase either one. Dh would like a led but I think that may be out of our price range. We are willing to spend up to $1200 for the best tv for us, just have no clue which one that is lol. Please keep talking about both of them, I am taking notes! lol

I'm so confused about which kind of tv to get too. We want the size of a 50+ tv, but I keep hearing negative things about a plasma. The price is pretty good for a 50" plasma on BF, I am just not very knowledgeable enough about plasma and lcd to confidently purchase either one. Dh would like a led but I think that may be out of our price range. We are willing to spend up to $1200 for the best tv for us, just have no clue which one that is lol. Please keep talking about both of them, I am taking notes! lol

I prefer an LCD over Plasma but the Plasmas are usually cheaper. Whichever you choose I highly suggest getting a 1080p over a 720p. You may want to check out the 46" Sony for $798 on the front page. LED's are great but because they are new they are way overpriced. :)

The best advice I can give you is to NOT base your purchase on people talking on a forum. What looks good to me is probably different than what looks good to you. I have had my Sammy 50" plasma professionally calibrated and I tweaked it from there. Im an avid member of AVS forum. A lot of this talk "blacker blacks", brightness, etc. is very subjective.

Do some research on the tv's you are interested in, CNet is a good source for what I would consider unbiased info. The easiest thing you can do is go into your local retailer and compare the tv's side by side and buy what you like and looks good to you.

The last thing you want to do is buy something based on what someone recommended in a post on GD and then be unhappy.....

The best advice I can give you is to NOT base your purchase on people talking on a forum. What looks good to me is probably different than what looks good to you. I have had my Sammy 50" plasma professionally calibrated and I tweaked it from there. Im an avid member of AVS forum. A lot of this talk "blacker blacks", brightness, etc. is very subjective.

Do some research on the tv's you are interested in, CNet is a good source for what I would consider unbiased info. The easiest thing you can do is go into your local retailer and compare the tv's side by side and buy what you like and looks good to you.

The last thing you want to do is buy something based on what someone recommended in a post on GD and then be unhappy.....

I second this. But I would not go to Target, Walmart or Costco or a similar retailer to do your comparisons. They don't usually worry about calibrating the sets, many of them just plug em in and go, meaning the best TV may not look as good as one next to it that's not as good. I would go to a high end TV store and do comparisons to decide what kind you like best. That way you'll get a better feel for what they look like when they are set up correctly. I don't know how many times I've been to Walmart and seen an amazing TV getting bashed by customers as they look because it's a little blurry, when it's obviously not set up correctly.

I got my TV in a high end TV store and he told me that any of the TV's will look the same in my home only better. He said that their cable is split so many times to go to each TV that it looses some of the quality. They did have one that was set up with Kung-fu Panda on a blu-ray player, which I thought wasn't fair to the other TV's because it looked AMAZING! ;)

I look @ it this way you dont buy a TV every day so why not spend a little more to get what you want, and not settle just because its on sale!

I prefer an LCD over Plasma as well and with the prices on some LCD's how can you go wrong!

Just keep an eye out on the Hz....120Hz and 240Hz models subject to less motion blur...

And just think of the room you are putting it in... if you are putting it in a bright room a Plasma has a Glass screen and it can reflect lots of light...LCD will not do this no matter how bright....

(did you ever watch TVand see yourself when looking through the picture)

Good luck guys if ya have any other questions just let me know....:cheesy:

We ended up spending more and getting the LCD. He plays video games and we play a lot of movies and we were told multiple times not to get a plasma if we plan do to those types of things a lot because of burn in.

Plus our LCD looks beautiful. We got a Sanyo at Walmart for 1148.

I am actually interested in the Samsung 40" that is on sale Saturday only. Does anyone know when on Sat they go on sale? At midnight in a 24 hour sale? Also, this TV is similarly priced at BB and Sears for BF, would I have more luck at one of those? Thanks!