What should I look for in a digital camera (point and shoot)

lovebears65

Im so ticked. I had a great camera 10X opitical zoom but I lost the software the adapter and now its just bulky. I want a new one. I am going to hint to DH I want a new camera and pick a few out for me and let him decide which one he wants to get me :D ANY suggestions. I want at least 10 optical zoom. HD and I want it a smaller camera that I can fit in my purse easy My other one is so bulky . I really hope they have some good ones on Black friday I can get online / Do you have an suggestions to what brand I should steer away from , what are the best. I am thinking of either sony or nikon

I've had 2 Sony's, and I've loved them both. They MIGHT have a good price on a Kodak at Office Max on BF this year (or so I heard somewhere...). If I remember right, it had a 10x optical zoom - it caught my eye 'cause the better zoom is important to me too.

My sister had a Fuji that wasn't worth having. But I don't know if that was because of the brand, or if she just got a bad camera.

I agree with Mrs. Winter, I love my kodak digital. I am on my second one. My first kodak digital still works great and I handed it down to my 10 yr. old dd. I just wanted a slimmer one with better zoom and larger screen than my first one had. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

I edited the title so that all P&S camera discussion goes in this thread.

I have one thing to say:

Do not buy a Kodak camera. Their quality is just not up to par with the other camera companies.

Focus on Canon, Nikon or maybe Sony. I don't like Sony's, but some here have some nice results with them. I'll have to look to see which one has a 10x optical zoom and is still small.

The OP is looking for 10x optical zoom, not 10mp.

For that much zoom, in that small of a package, you'll want one of the Panasonic cameras. I've heard good things about the Lumix:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742599&sr=8-1

10.1 MP, 12x Wide Angle optical zoom, has HD video.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS1-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742682&sr=8-3

10 MP, 12x wide angle optical zoom, 2.7 inch LCD. No HD Video.

A Canon Option, the Canon SX200IS

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX200IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001SER45Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256742776&sr=8-7

12MP, 12x wide angle optical zoom, 3.0 inch LCD, HD Movie shooting.

Canon SX120IS:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX120IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT3S/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1256742895&sr=8-20

10MP, 10.1 optical zoom, 3 inch LCD, no HD video, but uses AA batteries.

I edited the title so that all P&S camera discussion goes in this thread.

I have one thing to say:

Do not buy a Kodak camera. Their quality is just not up to par with the other camera companies.

Focus on Canon, Nikon or maybe Sony. I don't like Sony's, but some here have some nice results with them. I'll have to look to see which one has a 10x optical zoom and is still small.

Since Cindy edited the title to include all P&S talk, I'll throw this in... I have two Sony cameras, one of which is my second "bridge camera" (aka "DSLR-like").

Bridge cameras bridge the gap between a compact P&S and the DSLRs with the changeable lenses. Lately they have zoom lenses that range from 10X to 20X optical.

My camera is a Sony DSC-H50 (not a current model) with a 15x optical zoom. When I chose the camera I was looking specifically for models that had tiltable LCD lenses. There are only two companies making cameras like this: certain models of Canon & Sony.

This is my camera:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Stuff/bb-down.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Stuff/bb-up.jpg

1X zoom vs. 15X zoom:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/2009-estn/2009_09_12-16_12_32-089-h50.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/2009-estn/2009_09_12-16_12_44-090-h50.jpg

A tiltable camera allows you to change the angle of the LCD which, among other things, allows you to shoot photos at angles that are either impossible or uncomfortable to do otherwise:

(1) At your waist without bending or kneeling

(2) Above your head shooting downward

(3) From the ground upwards without getting dirty

(4) Above your head shooting upward with your head in a comfortable position (not kinking your neck)

Some samples of what I am talking about:

(1) Shot from waist high, camera tilted upward:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/DSC-H50/DSC00220.jpg

(2) Shot with my arms fully extended above my head to get a bird's eye view of the bushes out front:

http://i33.tinypic.com/23it0rs.jpg

(3) Shot from a "catcher's crouch" -- with a digicam with a regular LCD, I would have had to be laying down with my stomach on the ground:

http://i34.tinypic.com/t5kjm1.jpg

(4) Shot overhead:

http://i35.tinypic.com/vhxhk5.jpg

To take some of those photos I've shown, someone with a regular camera would just have to shoot 20+ photos and hope that one came out or get in some very uncomfortable positions. It is important to note that not all bridge cameras have tiltable lenses -- it's a separate feature you have to look for.

I recommend looking at review sites and checking out sample photos taken with the camera(s) you are considering.

http://www.steves-digicams.com is a GREAT one!

Pay close attention to the sample photos details such as natural skin tones, coloration and flash intensity in interior photos, and things with minute detail, such as animal fur. That tends to be where cameras fall short... Just about any camera can take a good photo outdoors with natural sunlight.

I'm a semi-professional photographer and professional videographer. I would HIGHLY suggest saving a little bit and getting a Nikon D40 or something comparable. If you MUST get a Point and Shoot... I think I would go with a good Nikon, or Canon. One thing I always tell people... the more you pay, generally, the better your pics. Just remember that.

• 2 weeks later...
My middle son surprised me with a Sony (pink) 12xdigital 5 x optical with all the bells and whistles.> I love it its small enough to throw into my purse and go. gotta love that its pink:) My middle son ( Tyler) was over hearing me tell DH I wanted a new smaller camera and some of the specs and he went out on his own and got it. gotta love that boy:yup:

LOVE my Panasonic Lumix. I can't recall the model off the top of my head but mine doesn't have as much zoom as you're looking for so you'd want a different one anyway. The pictures come out really nice. I also have a DSLR but the Lumix holds it's own when I need a smaller camera. Portraits in particular seem to come out very well.

I have a 7MP digital camera I got for 7000 yen in Akihabra (Japan) 2 years ago. I like it as it is lightweight and has lots of features. At the time it was current (well not in Japan hence the deal) I also got them to throw in a rechargable AA battery pack (charger and batteries) for free. :)

Dunno if it is worth upgrading to a 10 or 12mp as I do travel and take photos but happy with my current camera. I'm not a pro photographer and don't like carrying a camera around with me. I just like taking photos for my pleasure and maybe fwd a few to friends.

Looking at the BF ads and not sure if I should get one.

The upgrade in MP is not going to do you much. It allows you to print a bigger picture. You have to worry more about what the camera can and can't do, along with zoom if you take a lot of pictures from further out.

TY but now I am more confused! :P

I don't print all the pictures as I keep them mostly digital and I print out a select few for my travel book.

The zoom on my Japanese camera rocks. No complaints there. It also takes video.

So I should just keep what I have? if was to get a new one what is decent? I am currently looking in my Consumer Reports magazine on models to get an idea.

** I want a camera that is lightweight, user friendly, and does not eat batteries, video taking is a plus,

Edited by JohnnyLaRue

The upgrade in MP is not going to do you much. It allows you to print a bigger picture. You have to worry more about what the camera can and can't do, along with zoom if you take a lot of pictures from further out.

Wouldn't a higher MP also allow the owner to crop a portion of a print to make nice-looking prints from. That's always been my understanding....

For instance... Take a photo with a 10x zoom 9MP camera and the same shot with a 7x zoom 12MP camera.

Both extended to full zoom -- the 7x camera will obviously have a wider shot (not as close).

With the 10x zoom 9MP camera, print the shot.

With the 7x zoom 12MP camera, crop the photo down to the same shot that you took with the other camera, and print the shot to the same size...

-----------------

I will also say that it doesn't matter what the MP is, it comes down to the optics of the lens and the image processor built into the camera. Some 3MP cameras can take sharper photos than 7MP cameras...

Wouldn't a higher MP also allow the owner to crop a portion of a print to make nice-looking prints from. That's always been my understanding....

For instance... Take a photo with a 10x zoom 9MP camera and the same shot with a 7x zoom 12MP camera.

Both extended to full zoom -- the 7x camera will obviously have a wider shot (not as close).

With the 10x zoom 9MP camera, print the shot.

With the 7x zoom 12MP camera, crop the photo down to the same shot that you took with the other camera, and print the shot to the same size...

That's true, if Johnny were into photo editing. ;) I get a lot of people that go "wow my camera has 12mp. It takes awesome pictures." To which I reply "hrm I took pretty awesome pictures with my 2mp camera back in the day... PEABP" (problem exists at button pusher. ;))

Radio Shack has the Casio Exilim for $89.99 and Target has the Nikon Coolpix for $88.00. The one at Radio Shack has a free Polaroid picture printer and the one at Target can help go for the $10 gift card. I did not want a camera that takes batteries. I actually need to buy 2 of them. One is for DIL and one is for my 6 year old. DIL does not care about color DD6 would love the pink but she could deal with red too.

Radio Shack has the Casio Exilim for $89.99 and Target has the Nikon Coolpix for $88.00. The one at Radio Shack has a free Polaroid picture printer and the one at Target can help go for the $10 gift card. I did not want a camera that takes batteries. I actually need to buy 2 of them. One is for DIL and one is for my 6 year old. DIL does not care about color DD6 would love the pink but she could deal with red too.

I like Nikon brand, not as familiar with the Casio. How much would the little printer get used? I look at it from time to time but I still just use a regular printer or another photoprinter in the house.

I would go with the Nikon and the GC from Target. My 6 year old uses my camera and just likes to look at the pictures on the computer, not that crazy about printing them out. In fact, Santa has him a digital photo frame to put in his room to put his favorite pictures on to watch.

(got it at Target too, on an endcap for less than $12 -- regular cost $60!)

Picture printers sound cool but the price of ink, paper, and time getting it to work properly is horrible. You can send digital pictures via email to Walgreens, have them printed in one hour, 0.19 cents per print, even cheaper with a coupon code.

I have a Canon 10 MP and love it! Go with Nikon, read reviews on Amazon. :)

We have purchased 3 Canon Powershot cameras from Amazon. They are great cameras. My first digital camera was a Kodak camera that came with the printer. The results weren't great, but I know that they have made huge improvements. It's much easier to have prints made at Walgreens or Costco. I highly recommend the Canon for your DIL.