Do you think people will sell their tickets this year due to the economy

lovebears65

i am always in the top 10, usually #1 and spend days out in the elements with the good people. The good people are the ones who are generally among the first 50 in line and have established themselves with the group. I always take care of these good people. The ones who show up late expect something for nothing and are not going to get the freeload express from me. These are also the ones who try to get you in trouble for selling a ticket, or when giving it to a friend, they cry foul. Selling tickets may be considered wrong, or against the law in some areas, but not in my area. I have never sold a ticket, but instead purchase the items and profit from the resale. the difference is that you never see the outcome, so it does not directly affect you and your own sense of morality. I also help out friends, family, and church members who know they can come up anytime and get a ticket for nothing.

:gdyeahthat: I am pro what was said. I have resold stuff, but usually the parts of combos I didn't want for a minimal amount to friends and family members. I am also the one with the big old shopping list for all the friends and family who cannot come out with us. I love it. More reward points for me. Is that wrong as well? Especially when some of those same friends and family members are sitting at other stores buying things for me that I would otherwise be unable to obtain?

The ultimate answer to this is--get there first, you get whatever you want. For every person who gets there before you, your chance of success decreases. Worry about yourself first, everyone else not at all unless they are about to serve physical harm upon you. Then shoot 'em first.

Personally, I haven't ever sold a voucher, but I'm not against it either. The year before last, I waited in lined from about 10:00am until nearly 6:00pm on Thanksgiving day when I got a call that my only sister's house was on fire. I had to leave, my daughter and I were number 3 and 4 in line. I sold our spot for the lump sum total of $60.00 and gave the money to my sister so that they would have some cash for that night. We have gotten an extra voucher for a laptop one year but we gave it to a family further in line. I might just consider getting a voucher and selling this year.

I've seen people selling tickets and nothing has ever been done to them but I don't see it as being fair. Last year I got my tickets and someone needed one of them, I gave it to them for free. Karma has a way of returning, I was then given a ticket for a better item (my daughter forgot to grab one of the tickets I wanted) so it worked out better since I lost the cheaper model and got the better one after all. I think the ticket I gave away was for the HP laptop for $349, I was able to get the $479 Toshiba (2 of them) instead and they have been doing very well for my wife and I, where the HP was a much weaker model.

:gdyeahthat: I love it. More reward points for me. Is that wrong as well? Especially when some of those same friends and family members are sitting at other stores buying things for me that I would otherwise be unable to obtain?

Yes, Reward Zone points to retain silver status!:gdyes:

Every year this comes up, and the posters split between those who say "we earned the tickets and we can do as we please" and those who say "we waited in line longer than the buyers and should get first dibs on any extra tickets". Like years past I say, "get your rumps up there earlier than the sellers if you want a guaranty of availability." You weren't willing to camp out as long, so too bad, you risk not getting an item. Someone else was willing to work harder than you (i.e. stand in line longer) to get something. That's what this country's economic system used to be all about. If you have to have something, get there on Thursday morning before 10 am. Then you'll get it. Saving places (anthing more than 1 for 1 replacement) and line cutting is another matter and should be met with public flogging :eek:

Chigg and Dusty,

Why don't you just get a job at a retail store for black friday? They are always looking for employees. Work 16 hours on Black Friday...

$8.00 x 16 regular pay = $128

$4.00 x 8 hours over time = $32

Total = $160

Save yourself a day or two camping in a tent, spend Thanksgiving with your family, etc.

Ummmmm yeah well I have a job thank you and my family is with me in line...it's a tradition but your concern is duly noted...

Edited by chigg62
correction

Every year I'm on here I see people cry about how they would report people for selling vouchers and blah blah blah, but most of the time if you are behind that person you don't even know they are selling them. Aside from that, in previous years I have made friends with people in line around me and picked up extra vouchers for them because they wanted two for kids or whatever. If you plan on lining up, get there earlier and stop crying about who sold what to whom. 90% of you would by a ticket from someone if you had no chance of getting the item so don't act like you are better than anyone else. If you say "I wouldn't buy it no matter what the situation was" you are full of it. One year people were so worked up that friends were talking to me at the front of the line the 90 year old security guard they hired had to ask them to move. I then explained to the complainers that I wasn't even going in for the first sale I was there for the second one; the people felt dumb for getting worked up and shut their mouths. In summary stfu and mind your business and as always the early bird gets the worm. Thank you and have a good day. ;)

Every year this comes up, and the posters split between those who say "we earned the tickets and we can do as we please" and those who say "we waited in line longer than the buyers and should get first dibs on any extra tickets". Like years past I say, "get your rumps up there earlier than the sellers if you want a guaranty of availability." You weren't willing to camp out as long, so too bad, you risk not getting an item. Someone else was willing to work harder than you (i.e. stand in line longer) to get something. That's what this country's economic system used to be all about. If you have to have something, get there on Thursday morning before 10 am. Then you'll get it. Saving places (anthing more than 1 for 1 replacement) and line cutting is another matter and should be met with public flogging :eek:

I agree with the first part, but the 1 for 1 replacement also causes those who didnt see the first trade whine about someone cutting. There will always be someone that cries thinking they are getting a raw deal.

Chigg and Dusty,

Why don't you just get a job at a retail store for black friday? They are always looking for employees. Work 16 hours on Black Friday...

Total = $160

Save yourself a day or two camping in a tent, spend Thanksgiving with your family, etc.

No thanks, my family and I will happily camping out together.

After I sell a few tickets I will have made the $160 you speak of.

Oh and I have a job ;)

Chigg and Dusty,

Total = $160

I could work Black Friday and make about $60 per hour but I save on average $2000 every year, so the $500 I give up by not working pays off 4X more by shopping on Black Friday. It's not just a need, it has become an obsession and even if there weren't really good sales I'd be online the night before out of the love of the hunt.

There is one sure way to stop this from happening... that is to stop purchasing tkts from these lowlifes :yup: It is simple supply and demand. If they are there getting the money from someone, they will continue to do it. If they no longer can get money from people, then they will stop. Sounds like an easy plan, but problem is, you always have someone with extra money to blow and they don't care. They would rather spend the money than wait on the line. For those people I say.. do not do Black Friday.. you are paying the same in the long run... do the math... :yup:

There is one sure way to stop this from happening... that is to stop purchasing tkts from these lowlifes :yup: It is simple supply and demand. If they are there getting the money from someone, they will continue to do it. If they no longer can get money from people, then they will stop. Sounds like an easy plan, but problem is, you always have someone with extra money to blow and they don't care. They would rather spend the money than wait on the line. For those people I say.. do not do Black Friday.. you are paying the same in the long run... do the math... :yup:

I suggest that you apply this to your own sense of morality, and stop calling people names that differ from your own perfect opinion.:yup::yup::yup:

I suggest that you apply this to your own sense of morality, and stop calling people names that differ from your own perfect opinion.:yup::yup::yup:

I don't mean any harm by saying "lowlifes" but when someone is doing that (and it is illegal in some states), that is how I describe them. They are pretty low to do something like that just to make a fast (and illegal) buck in life.. again, I was not aiming it at anyone here, but they are my feelings. My opinion may not be perfect, but I go by the law both ethically and morally.

I see you are from FL as I am. I know when Obama came to our area, there were people who tried to "sell" the free tkts from that event, they were arrested. Even some who were caught selling them on Craigs list.. not just outside the event. So it may very well be law here in FL not to sell something such as the tkts given out on BF.. they were/are no different than those of Obama's....:yup::yup::yup:

Edited by amickeyfan
wanted to add something

Personally I think it is wrong. It should be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!!! If you were the 21st person on line for a limit 20 item and then the people in front took them to sell even though they had no intention of buying it but to sell the ticket to someone behind you, you can't tell me you'd be ok with that. The 21st person on line arrives in most cases within a few hours of the first and long before the store opens. If they are there for a specific item and the people in front of them sell the ticket they are entitled to if it weren't for greed, you are ruining Black Friday for them. Not all of us here can be there in time to get our choice of anything we want. Luckily we aren't all in the same area or chances are I wouldn't be in the top 5 every year like I am at my store. Before you go selling tickets, just think if you were the one standing in line all night for an item only to see the ticket you should have gotten being sold to someone behind you. If you have no problem with that, go ahead and sell your ticket, but what goes around comes around, and maybe next year you'll be #21 on line and I hope it happens to you.

Sorry if I seem to be so upset about this but as a human I care for those on line and feel they should have a fair shot based on when they arrive, not how much they have to pay to greedy people selling something that they got for free, and selling them to people that otherwise would not have been entitled.

Well, my favorite word "entitled" rears it's ugly head...No one is entitled to a ticket or much else in life for that matter...again, if there are 20 items at the store and you are number 21 in line....you will *not* get that item, deal with that reality...The one voucher you take for the *one* item you want is the same one item that someone else wants and is too far back in line to get....Does that make you taking it wrong? Of course it doesn't. If it's illegal in your state to sell vouchers, don't do it...if it offends your morality or pinciples, don't do it....otherwise get over it or get in line earlier....it's just that simple.

Personally I think it is wrong. It should be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!!! If you were the 21st person on line for a limit 20 item and then the people in front took them to sell even though they had no intention of buying it but to sell the ticket to someone behind you, you can't tell me you'd be ok with that. The 21st person on line arrives in most cases within a few hours of the first and long before the store opens. If they are there for a specific item and the people in front of them sell the ticket they are entitled to if it weren't for greed, you are ruining Black Friday for them. Not all of us here can be there in time to get our choice of anything we want. Luckily we aren't all in the same area or chances are I wouldn't be in the top 5 every year like I am at my store. Before you go selling tickets, just think if you were the one standing in line all night for an item only to see the ticket you should have gotten being sold to someone behind you. If you have no problem with that, go ahead and sell your ticket, but what goes around comes around, and maybe next year you'll be #21 on line and I hope it happens to you.

I'd be kicking myself for being such a slacker that I couldn't be the first one in line so I can guarantee that I'd get what I wanted (but wasn't entitled to) :eyepoppin. If you can't be there before the folks in front of you, too bad!!!!! I think it's unfair that I actually have priorities that keep me at home most of Thanksgiving eating with my family and giving thanks for what I've received in life and those "lowlife" college kids can stay there all day being first in line :cheesy: (that was sarcasm btw). If you want something, work for it or pay for it. If you aren't willing to work harder or pay more than someone else, they deserve it, not you.

I don't mean any harm by saying "lowlifes" but when someone is doing that (and it is illegal in some states), that is how I describe them. They are pretty low to do something like that just to make a fast (and illegal) buck in life.. again, I was not aiming it at anyone here, but they are my feelings. My opinion may not be perfect, but I go by the law both ethically and morally.

Yes, your opinion is your opinion. As for the morality of it, I don't see where selling tickets is moral or immoral. You are free to call those people lowlifes and scum, but that says just as much about you as it does about your opinion of them.

Personally I think it is wrong. It should be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!!! If you were the 21st person on line for a limit 20 item and then the people in front took them to sell even though they had no intention of buying it but to sell the ticket to someone behind you, you can't tell me you'd be ok with that. The 21st person on line arrives in most cases within a few hours of the first and long before the store opens.

Blame Best Buy for their policy, not the people who lined up early.

If they are there for a specific item and the people in front of them sell the ticket they are entitled to if it weren't for greed, you are ruining Black Friday for them. Not all of us here can be there in time to get our choice of anything we want. Luckily we aren't all in the same area or chances are I wouldn't be in the top 5 every year like I am at my store. Before you go selling tickets, just think if you were the one standing in line all night for an item only to see the ticket you should have gotten being sold to someone behind you. If you have no problem with that, go ahead and sell your ticket, but what goes around comes around, and maybe next year you'll be #21 on line and I hope it happens to you.

Ah, the 21st century of entitlement in the US is alive and well. Sorry, but if you are n+1 in line (n = number of tickets for an item) You should have ZERO expectation of getting that item. It is absolutely reasonable to expect that everyone ahead of you wants the item that you want.

I'm puzzled. You sound like you've done BF before and yet you are surprised by the circus atmosphere around it. The dash-n-grabs at walmart, the ticket scalping at Best Buy... they are all orchestrated by the companies specifically for that effect.

Have a little dignity... don't act like consumer paupers at the gates of the local Baron, waiting outside the manor gates for the scraps from last night's banquet.

Personally I think it is wrong. It should be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!!! If you were the 21st person on line for a limit 20 item and then the people in front took them to sell even though they had no intention of buying it but to sell the ticket to someone behind you, you can't tell me you'd be ok with that.

That's hilarious - you contradict yourself in your first two lines! If it's FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED, then the people in the front have every right to do with their ticket as they please, just like you said.

I see you are from FL as I am. I know when Obama came to our area, there were people who tried to "sell" the free tkts from that event, they were arrested. Even some who were caught selling them on Craigs list.. not just outside the event. So it may very well be law here in FL not to sell something such as the tkts given out on BF.. they were/are no different than those of Obama's....:yup::yup::yup:

There in lies the key, "FREE". The Obama event was never to have been an event where the tickets were to be sold, or posted for sale. There has to be a monetary value assigned to the item that you are obtaining the ticket for. I am also highly skeptical of any event which has political underpinnings, and it may be a local law in Dade or broward county, due to the political strife in those areas. We were well aware of the change here in North Florida, and someone who missed out on a ticket was trying to get my wife arrested for selling a Ticket to someone just ahead of him(Yes, he was mad because someone beat him to the punch!). The Policeman told him it was perfectly legal and to move on....

Sorry if I seem to be so upset about this but as a human I care for those on line and feel they should have a fair shot based on when they arrive, not how much they have to pay to greedy people selling something that they got for free, and selling them to people that otherwise would not have been entitled.

I personally have helped those in the front of the store(I call those the entitiled ones, due to their committed time of arrival) to get what they want, as well as give vouchers away whenever i feel like it, whether it be to someone down the line or to a friend or Church member. The items that i want, I buy, and then there are items I will resell. As i have stated before, i do not resell tickets, but my Family does, and i respect their right to do what they want with them. They are investing a lot of time with the tent city and cooking that we do. the wife makes hot cocoa for all who ask, and has fed many of the folks that come woefully unprepared(All free of course). It does get cold, and during the colder Black Friday's we share our fire pit. I agree that it is wrong to openly make deals during the wait, as it would create strife and possible fights among the crowd that gets edgy around the corner. I have never had a disappointed person in the front of the line, which is essentially the first 50.

There in lies the key, "FREE". The Obama event was never to have been an event where the tickets were to be sold, or posted for sale. There has to be a monetary value assigned to the item that you are obtaining the ticket for. I am also highly skeptical of any event which has political underpinnings, and it may be a local law in Dade or broward county, due to the political strife in those areas. We were well aware of the change here in North Florida, and someone who missed out on a ticket was trying to get my wife arrested for selling a Ticket to someone just ahead of him(Yes, he was mad because someone beat him to the punch!). The Policeman told him it was perfectly legal and to move on....

Not sure where you got Dade and Broward from.. if you read near my avatar.. you can see what it says...

I am not in Dade or Broward, they are SE. I live on the Gulf side.. I am in Lee.. and as to the tkts given out on BF, they too have no monetary value, they are "FREE" as well. They are for an item that you "can purchase" if you so desire, but the actual tkt is FREE... if it had a value, it would be sold via Best Buy.. Only value it carries is that it guarantees you the "opportunity" to purchase a specific item of value from them.

Edited by amickeyfan

Seriously what is the big deal? I have never or ever pick up vouchers/tickets just to sell to other people. But who cares what other people do with theirs?

Really if I want something that is a "hot ticket item" then I will try and get there earlier than others, if not oh well I tried, and there are other items that I am getting at that store too, the first store has the items I want most and more than one item I want too. I never plan on getting everything I want at some of the stores and look up different places I can get it at or a similar item.

As long as there are people willing to buy these tickets there will be sellers. Also if someone offers to sell me a ticket of something I really really wanted and it still would be cheaper than any other place/time I might buy it.

It is like paying for their time in line, if it saves me being there 3+ hrs waiting in line then I don't think I would mind. Also considering it gets really cold every BF here.

Wow! Here's my thought...if it's "free" for me it's "free" for you! I am getting the zhu zhu pets for family and while on line waiting...waiting...waiting...I chatted with a very nice person. We exchanged phone numbers on the premise if I found something or she - we'd help each other out. She got the fun house for me and I tried to give her a "hamster" as a thank you. She wouldn't take it - she said "that was not our agreement"...It's just nice to do something for someone just to do it! And I will try to get that xbox bundle (please BB-put on the net for I don't wanna be out all night in the cold -just to miss out on the ticket that someone else "might" sell LOL - oh, that would be sooooo wrong-lol)

Not sure where you got Dade and Broward from.. if you read near my avatar.. you can see what it says...

I am not in Dade or Broward, they are SE. I live on the Gulf side.. I am in Lee.. and as to the tkts given out on BF, they too have no monetary value, they are "FREE" as well. They are for an item that you "can purchase" if you so desire, but the actual tkt is FREE... if it had a value, it would be sold via Best Buy.. Only value it carries is that it guarantees you the "opportunity" to purchase a specific item of value from them.

Not much difference! The climate is relatively the same down there, but as for value, I guess you missed the point.:yawn:

Seriously what is the big deal? I have never or ever pick up vouchers/tickets just to sell to other people. But who cares what other people do with theirs?

Really if I want something that is a "hot ticket item" then I will try and get there earlier than others, if not oh well I tried, and there are other items that I am getting at that store too, the first store has the items I want most and more than one item I want too. I never plan on getting everything I want at some of the stores and look up different places I can get it at or a similar item.

As long as there are people willing to buy these tickets there will be sellers. Also if someone offers to sell me a ticket of something I really really wanted and it still would be cheaper than any other place/time I might buy it.

It is like paying for their time in line, if it saves me being there 3+ hrs waiting in line then I don't think I would mind. Also considering it gets really cold every BF here.

Just think how mad a line mate would be if I gave a ticket away to someone else who just arrived, and that meant he could not get it, after thinking I was going to use it. Making late arrivals pay for items that they did not wait for can have it's place, but common sense and discretion will rule the day and keep you safe.