Toys R Us Opening at Midnight - Rumor - See Post #18

juanadeal

I'm new to the site and to the forums so forgive me if I do this wrong or post in the wrong place but I've got a question--if the Big toy book is already out and you can already get the toys at those prices then why would you need to wait to go to TRU on BF? or do they post another ad with better deals specifically for BF?

I work in Delaware and we are one of the biggest in the country in sales volume (no sales tax and people coming from PA, NJ, MD, & DE). I don't know if all will open at midnight, but I would think so. Anything for that extra $$

it's nice to see local people on here! I am from Elkton, MD!

A TRU manager's response to them open on Thanksgiving Day

"I am a manager with Toys R Us and have been with the company for 10 years. Today on our weekly national

conference call it was announced that we will be open on Thanksgiving Day. This may not come as a shock

to the average consumer, but to a retail worker who only typically has three guaranteed days off a year (Easter, Thanksgiving, and Xmas) this was disturbing. It was presented to the stores as capitalizing on a competitive advantage. This information is supposed to be highly confidential but I just feel like calling bull**** on these arrogant corporate assholes who will be enjoying Thanksgiving with their families whilst the true workers will be working and preparing for the busiest shopping day of the year. Also, we will be opening at midnight Thanksgiving Day to enjoy another competitive advantage.

Signed,

Soon to be former Toys "R" Us Kid"

I can understand everyone's excitement with TRU opening on Thanksgiving but when it takes away 1 of the 3 guaranteed days off a year than I would rather them be closed. How do you feel?

I think that it is really no big deal.....especially if they rotate who works or whoever needs the money works. In this economy those people should just be lucky to have a job.....and seriously, who is spending time with family at midnight??? They have all day to visit and eat!

I think that it is really no big deal.....especially if they rotate who works or whoever needs the money works. In this economy those people should just be lucky to have a job.....and seriously, who is spending time with family at midnight??? They have all day to visit and eat!

Are you really kidding with that reply you just wrote...It is a big deal..I worked retail 11 years and you aren't given the choice to work or spend time with your family..you are made to work and there is no fair rotation..it is wrong..and while you are missing spending time with your family you have to deal with rude people who make the day even worse for you...the fact that their family is sleeping at midnight and they are working means that they need to get sleep sometime before going to work, which means they probably have to get some sleep while their family is still awake..Those who you say are lucky to have a job and should have there holiday mean less so you can shop are probably being paid minimum wage or close to it. I refuse to shop on Easter or Thanksgiving because I think it is wrong to be open that day. If everybody stopped shopping those days no matter how good the sale is, the stores would get the hint eventually and stay closed.

Edited by Joycer425

My outlook on the hours is this.. If they open at midnight on black Friday then surely their thanksgiving should be over by then. I work nights as a police dispatcher and I was lucky to have it off this year. Our family usually has celebrations around 3-4 that way we are done by the time I have to work. I don't complain as I know it is part of my job.

So are they opening at midnight and staying open thru the whole day or will they close and reopen at 5am?

I have read the TRU ad about 5 times planning what I'm going to get and I just now realized that some of their specials say 12midnight - 1pm, while others say 5AM, while the fine print at bottom of 1st page say doorbuster start 7AM - what's up? I sure hope they honor all prices at midnight because I'm only going there once.

My outlook on the hours is this.. If they open at midnight on black Friday then surely their thanksgiving should be over by then. I work nights as a police dispatcher and I was lucky to have it off this year. Our family usually has celebrations around 3-4 that way we are done by the time I have to work. I don't complain as I know it is part of my job.

So are they opening at midnight and staying open thru the whole day or will they close and reopen at 5am?

You knew that was part of your job when you took it, when you have a public serve career suck as a cop, doctor or nurse you don't have a choice. Crimes happen, people get sick. When you are in retail it is not what you signed up for. Most retail associates make close to minimum wage and people have a choice to shop or not shop. If we didn't shop the stores wouldn't be open at such unreasonable hours. Maybe if we went back to family values there would be less crime on the streets.

I have read the TRU ad about 5 times planning what I'm going to get and I just now realized that some of their specials say 12midnight - 1pm, while others say 5AM, while the fine print at bottom of 1st page say doorbuster start 7AM - what's up? I sure hope they honor all prices at midnight because I'm only going there once.

They have one round of doorbusters starting at 12 and another starting at 5.

Okay did anyone else notice in the ad that a group of deals goes from 12-1. I know at ours they sometimes have a line long enough that one hour would never be enough time to find what you want and make it all the way through line.

I've never been to TRU for black Friday but the way I understand it at ours the line snakes through the whole store on Black Friday morning.

So is 1 hour really long enough to run a deal?

Okay did anyone else notice in the ad that a group of deals goes from 12-1. I know at ours they sometimes have a line long enough that one hour would never be enough time to find what you want and make it all the way through line.

I've never been to TRU for black Friday but the way I understand it at ours the line snakes through the whole store on Black Friday morning.

It is midnight to 1 PM - 13 hour deals.

Its 1PM, not AM. ;)

It's 12am to 1pm. So that is a 13 hour sale.

I'm just unhappy that one sale starts at midnight, then another at 5am. The item I want is at 5am and there is no way I'm going in at 4-5 am for that one item if the lines are already super long.

You knew that was part of your job when you took it, when you have a public serve career suck as a cop, doctor or nurse you don't have a choice. Crimes happen, people get sick. When you are in retail it is not what you signed up for. Most retail associates make close to minimum wage and people have a choice to shop or not shop. If we didn't shop the stores wouldn't be open at such unreasonable hours. Maybe if we went back to family values there would be less crime on the streets.

Are you even attempting to imply that shopping is the reason for crime? I have been forced to work holidays and hours that I wasn't happy about working and I've never worked retail. That was working for the Postal Service. So does that mean that we can also say that crime is a result of mail delivery? LOL!!!!

Are you really kidding with that reply you just wrote...It is a big deal..I worked retail 11 years and you aren't given the choice to work or spend time with your family..you are made to work and there is no fair rotation..it is wrong..and while you are missing spending time with your family you have to deal with rude people who make the day even worse for you...the fact that their family is sleeping at midnight and they are working means that they need to get sleep sometime before going to work, which means they probably have to get some sleep while their family is still awake..Those who you say are lucky to have a job and should have there holiday mean less so you can shop are probably being paid minimum wage or close to it. I refuse to shop on Easter or Thanksgiving because I think it is wrong to be open that day. If everybody stopped shopping those days no matter how good the sale is, the stores would get the hint eventually and stay closed.

No, I am serious. Thanksgiving is way over by then....it isn't like they are going to have to work 12am-11pm, it would be one shift or the other. Realistically, people are going to shop when and where the deals are.

Are you even attempting to imply that shopping is the reason for crime? I have been forced to work holidays and hours that I wasn't happy about working and I've never worked retail. That was working for the Postal Service. So does that mean that we can also say that crime is a result of mail delivery? LOL!!!!

I didn't say shopping was a crime anywhere in there...I said maybe we should get back to family values and there would be less crime. If shopping is more important then spending time with your family then that's a shame not a crime.

No, I am serious. Thanksgiving is way over by then....it isn't like they are going to have to work 12am-11pm, it would be one shift or the other. Realistically, people are going to shop when and where the deals are.

do you not see that they will still need to sleep at some point when they could be spending time with there family...It is a shame that Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday because people are more focused on getting a deal. Maybe if you where the one who had to work that shift and deal with angry sleep deprived shoppers you would see things differently

I didn't say shopping was a crime anywhere in there...I said maybe we should get back to family values and there would be less crime. If shopping is more important then spending time with your family then that's a shame not a crime.

I'm sorry but who is spending time with their family at midnight! I'm usually back home BF morning before my kids are even up! ;)

I think it's stupid, really throwing me off my game plan! If there is something on sale that starts at 5 you will have those people in there all night with stuff in their carts! No one will get anything except those who actually go at midnight.

Personally, I need to sleep a little and there is only one thing I want from TRU, I might just skip it. It's not worth it for me to miss all my other stores for them!

I'm sorry but who is spending time with their family at midnight! I'm usually back home BF morning before my kids are even up! ;)

Guess you don't sleep at all then. You are a lucky person, you are able to work all night and then spend all the rest of your time with your family. Most people need sleep especially if they are working at midnight dealing with a bunch of lunatics.

do you not see that they will still need to sleep at some point when they could be spending time with there family...It is a shame that Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday because people are more focused on getting a deal. Maybe if you where the one who had to work that shift and deal with angry sleep deprived shoppers you would see things differently

I've worked retail black friday. Worked it when I was deathly ill. Would have worked if they'd asked me to be in for a 12:00 shift instead of a 5:00. Why? It was my job. I actually enjoyed working that day and dealing with all the people. :yup:

I've worked retail black friday. Worked it when I was deathly ill. Would have worked if they'd asked me to be in for a 12:00 shift instead of a 5:00. Why? It was my job. I actually enjoyed working that day and dealing with all the people. :yup:

That's great for you that it worked out for you..I am talking about the people who aren't given the choice...there is alot of people who haven't worked retail and have no idea that not everybody can do that shift as they would like to celebrate the holiday with there family and not worry about going in at midnight. You have to know as well as I do that not all people are pleasant shoppers on that day or on Thanksgiving. I know I did retail for 11 years. I find it unnecessary for these stores to be open on Thanksgiving or at midnight. We are supposed to be enjoying that day as a holiday with family, not worrying about getting to the stores for the best deals.