>>> Official Black Friday 2009 GPS SYSTEM Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

A lot of the bad feedback seems to come from the new TomTom's having an absurdly small amount of free memory in the unit which causes it to lock up and render it nonfunctional when updating the maps if you don't prep the unit beforehand.....like unloading all the extra voices, etc. (There's not enough free memory in the unit as it is shipped to allow updating the maps.....so it essentially overloads the unit, locking it up, never to work again unless you ship it back to TomTom.)

Seems to me TomTom didn't put enough thought into their new units before releasing them to the market.

So would the 340s fall in this category that has the problems or is it considered one of the older models?

I went to Target tonight and compared them side by side and the Garmin was much more user friendly. I wanted to like the Tom Tom so that I could go ahead and buy it and then price adjust on Friday but decided against it. Now to decide which store would be best to get the Garmin at.

I went to Target tonight and compared them side by side and the Garmin was much more user friendly. I wanted to like the Tom Tom so that I could go ahead and buy it and then price adjust on Friday but decided against it. Now to decide which store would be best to get the Garmin at.

Don't forget, we'll know what Amazon, Buy.com and Newegg.com will have soon enough too.

I'm liking the Garmin nuvi 255W for $129.99 at Dell's Black Friday sale. Spoken street names, ecoroute, speed limit indicator, wide screen, etc. For some reason Dell gift certificates sell for a lot lower than they're worth on ebay, so I picked up a $120 gift certificate for $90. Best of all the sale is online.

P.S. Garmin just released their newest map update yesterday.

OK, so I'm really starting to get my shopping lists together for next week, and I thought I wanted the Garmin Nuvi 265WT from Radio Shack on Thursday (still have to call and see if they're open here, but that would be awesome!)...so I'm cleaning up my Target list, and see that they have a Garmin Nuvi 1350T for only $10 more than the one at the Shack...I only remember seeing the TomTom they are having, and I'm not interested in that...

I went to amazon to see if I could see what the difference is, and there really doesn't seem to be one, from what I could tell, although I will admit that I am technologically illiterate, so because I don't see one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist...does anyone have either one of these, or know anything about these, to help steer me in the right direction? They both have 4 stars on amazon, but the 1350T only has 17 reviews thus far (assuming it's a newer model?), and the other has well over 500...

Any input or opinions?? TIA!!

OK, so I'm really starting to get my shopping lists together for next week, and I thought I wanted the Garmin Nuvi 265WT from Radio Shack on Thursday (still have to call and see if they're open here, but that would be awesome!)...so I'm cleaning up my Target list, and see that they have a Garmin Nuvi 1350T for only $10 more than the one at the Shack...I only remember seeing the TomTom they are having, and I'm not interested in that...

I went to amazon to see if I could see what the difference is, and there really doesn't seem to be one, from what I could tell, although I will admit that I am technologically illiterate, so because I don't see one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist...does anyone have either one of these, or know anything about these, to help steer me in the right direction? They both have 4 stars on amazon, but the 1350T only has 17 reviews thus far (assuming it's a newer model?), and the other has well over 500...

Any input or opinions?? TIA!!

The major differences between the 265WT and 1350T are:

1350T has lane assist, the 265WT doesn't.

265WT has Bluetooth capability, the 1350T doesn't.

The 1350 is the newer style of Garmin GPS; the 265 is the older style which is a little thicker (0.4cm or 0.2" thicker) and slightly heavier (11g or 0.4oz) than the newer 1xxx series of Garmin GPSs.

The major differences between the 265WT and 1350T are:

1350T has lane assist, the 265WT doesn't.

265WT has Bluetooth capability, the 1350T doesn't.

The 1350 is the newer style of Garmin GPS; the 265 is the older style which is a little thicker (0.4cm or 0.2" thicker) and slightly heavier (11g or 0.4oz) than the newer 1xxx series of Garmin GPSs.

Thanks so much! I don't care about bluetooth, so that doesn't matter to me...but, lane assist? I thought I read it somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it now...is that where the unit advises you of which lane you should be in when approaching intersections and such?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much! I don't care about bluetooth, so that doesn't matter to me...but, lane assist? I thought I read it somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it now...is that where the unit advises you of which lane you should be in when approaching intersections and such?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

Yes... That's what it does... Useful for interstates too.

The TomTom One 125 is the same TomTom One LE that I bought two years ago on Black Friday for 120 from BB. The only real difference is a different suction cup mounting system (and updates to the maps and Points of Interest, of course, and the deletion of Canadian maps). The TomTom One 125 was here last BF too.

It's not a bad unit, but it certainly is bare bones, and lacks text-to-speech.

Review: http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/023062.php

If you have an upcoming trip before BF, you could buy this and not hate yourself, but otherwise, there will be better deals...

-----

If you need Canadian maps, look for the TomTom One 130, but this model still lacks text-to-speech.

To make it easier to find models with text-to-speech, TomTom denotes models with a "-s" if they have that feature.

For instance, the TomTom One 130-S has TTS, but the TomTom One 130 does not.

The TomTom 130-S would meet all your requirements, but would still be the 3.5" screen, not the 4.3" screen. It's available from Amazon for $123.53, and is a much better deal than the one from Wal-Mart, unless you need to buy it in person.

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-ONE-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B00160TYR8

In the walmart flyer, it says this tomtom gps does have text to speech.

In the walmart flyer, it says this tomtom gps does have text to speech.

You are taking my post out of context.

krissy72 was referring to a GPS in the Walmart circular from the week of 11/8 - NOT the units to be offered on Black Friday.

That's why I was telling her to wait till BF: "If you have an upcoming trip before BF, you could buy this and not hate yourself, but otherwise, there will be better deals..."

I'm liking the Garmin nuvi 255W for $129.99 at Dell's Black Friday sale. Spoken street names, ecoroute, speed limit indicator, wide screen, etc. For some reason Dell gift certificates sell for a lot lower than they're worth on ebay, so I picked up a $120 gift certificate for $90. Best of all the sale is online.

I may have to take back what I said here. I don't know if it's temporary or what, but the prices of GPSs on amazon keep dropping like a rock. Now you can get a new nuvi 255 for $109.99. Ugh I hate having to make choices....

I just got the nuvi 260W from Amazon for $119.99, seemed like a good enough deal for me to buy now instead of waiting for BF. No sales tax and free 2 day shipping helped me make that choice as well though.

On a side note I was just down at my local Best Buy and they had a big set up for the garmin 205, garmin 255W and garmin 255WT, at least 20 of each ready for BF.

Often the price difference is just $20 between two comparable models. For a $20 spread I do think it's worth it.

Hmmm well the 129 garmin and the 150. tom tom both lack text to speech also :(

This is a last minute add for us so I have no had time to dig around.

I always stick with the garmin brand because they're the best known and the GPS are user friendly.

The Nuvi 255 has text to speech and is on Amazon for 109.99.

That 255 is a nice priced unit, too bad it's not the wide screen one, though. After having lived with the "standard" width screen GPS from Garmin for 2 years, the wide screen is really the only way to go. Just makes it so much easier to view your surroundings, roads, etc., esp. if you zoom in while in city driving, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a GPS that you can hook your ipod up to and then listen to the ipod through your car speakers? I saw that some garmins come with an FM transmitter.

Nope, not that I am aware of... But some Garmins, like my Nuvi 780, have a memory card slot and the ability to play MP3s.

I have a 4GB SD card in my Nuvi, loaded with music and books-on-tape from Audible and I have the Nuvi broadcast to FM (which I tune in on the car) and hear directions and tunes that way...

The MP3 playback controls are built into the Nuvi.

"With nüvi 755T's wireless FM transmitter¹ you can hear audio, including voice prompts, MP3s and audio books, through your vehicle's stereo" I got this off the garmin website. So by this they are referring to MP3s that you load directly onto the gps? I called the garmin website and was given a wait time of 40 mins. Thanks for the help!

"With nüvi 755T's wireless FM transmitter¹ you can hear audio, including voice prompts, MP3s and audio books, through your vehicle's stereo" I got this off the garmin website. So by this they are referring to MP3s that you load directly onto the gps? I called the garmin website and was given a wait time of 40 mins. Thanks for the help!

Here's a review for the Nuvi 755T:

http://gpsmagazine.com/2009/01/garmin_nuvi_755t_review.php

Yes, it has a SD card slot so you can load an SD card up with tunes and Audible recordings and be all set.

If you are playing MP3s, you will definitely want to broadcast to FM because the built-in speaker is just plain awful for music...

You'll like that unit a lot -- I'm quite fond of my Nuvi 780.

I need help! I want to get one in the upcoming BF sales and am so lost in which one to get!

There are so many, I want to go with one of the big 3 (Magellan, Garmin, TomTom) but other than that am so lost.

I don't need traffic, but I am highly interested in Points of Interest. I read somewhere that one of the brands actually shows little icons when you are on the highway if there is a gas station coming up on the next exits and things like that. I need something like that, and that I can type in a business name/type when I'm traveling and find it.

I want text-to-speech, and it needs to have the ability to enter multiple destinations for trips. On the same note, I don't need anything highly fancy and want something affordable (under $120).