>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I'm *hoping* around 350! Thats what I am budgeting for at least. The good thing, I allowed 100 for a sewing maching and I dont need anything overly fancy so hopefully I'll get it cheaper (or not at all if there is no good deals) which will allow a little more for the TV. Its a MUST this year for DH's game/computer room.

Fry's did have a 32" for $399 around Memorial Day. I have a feeling 32" could very well hit $300 on BF.

As for 1080p at $800, I seriously doubt it. I hope I'm wrong, but $800 for a 50" 720p would be VERY ambitious as prices stand right now. 1080p is just too new to see it that low, I think.

sams club has a 42 inch vizio right now for $800 and thats the regular price. Miejers and walmart both had 42 inch televisions last year the day after for $500. so i dont think it will be hard to find a 42 inch for around $500 this year

I think so. If LCD TV shows same behavior than laptops, there are good chances for $500 42 inches LCD TV.

Ok, I am a newbie to this discussion - but could someone direct me to some info on the difference between Plasma and LCD. Also, what is DLP? I assume 1080 is better than 720 - but is it really THAT much more cost prohibitive?

We are thinking about getting a new TV for the bedroom - and (crosses fingers) one for the living room. I am the researcher in the family - and I have forbade DH from buying ANY tv until at least we get closer to BF.

I just need to study up on what's out there - all we have are analog tvs (our bedroom one died during a lightening storm 2 weeks ago - so that's what causing the interest in a new one).

Thanks!

Ok, I am a newbie to this discussion - but could someone direct me to some info on the difference between Plasma and LCD. Also, what is DLP? I assume 1080 is better than 720 - but is it really THAT much more cost prohibitive?

We are thinking about getting a new TV for the bedroom - and (crosses fingers) one for the living room. I am the researcher in the family - and I have forbade DH from buying ANY tv until at least we get closer to BF.

I just need to study up on what's out there - all we have are analog tvs (our bedroom one died during a lightening storm 2 weeks ago - so that's what causing the interest in a new one).

Thanks!

Plasma TV

LCD TV

DLP

Highest to Lowest quality:

1080P = "Full High Definition TV" 1920 x 1080 Resolution

1080I 1280 x 720 - 1366 x 1024

720P "

720I 1024x 720

480P (EDTV) 720x480

This is only a basic description!

One important thing...Highest displayed HDTV quality displayed through your cable/satelite tv provider is 1080I...HDDVD & Blueray can display 1080p...DVD's can display up to 720P (upconverters to 1080I & P are available).

krstee couple of things

LCD is cheaper generally then Plasma.

Up to 42" LCD is best, over that Plasma is best. Generally.

No TV channels broadcast in 1080p at this time and may not for some time. The gap between 720p and 1080i to the naked eye is very small. 1080p will only make a huge difference if you have a HD DVD player too.

Whats a good TV for a bedroom? I have no idea what I need to look for (brand, etc). My husband wants a flat screen for the bedroom wall (LCD I think). Whats the price range of these and do you think they will be available on BF? Im thinking 32"

How far away from the tv will you guys be watching from?

Does anyone know if they fixed the "burn-in" problem on the Plasmas? Also, be careful in buying the off brand/no name LCD TV'S. Our news just did 2 segments on this. They're calling them the "Throw-Away TV'S" cause they don't have the parts to repair some of them. They recommend not buying them, or if you do, to purchase an extended warranty, after first reading the fine print.

I am really wanting a 42" LCD for the living room but only if they are going for $500.00-$550.00 or so on BF, does that sound about right or do you think that they will be going for more? I am also wondering if there is going to be any small LCD's on sale for the kids rooms. I just cleaned DS9 room and a nice LCD would leave so much more room then his 4 year old SDTV.