Well my husband bought it....Red Rider Gun for my son

elena_398

Well, my husband surprised even me this morning and bought my son the Red Rider Gun (from the Christmas story). The kids opened up their gifts and he told me son he "saw" something by the entertainment center. Funny thing is the Christmas story is playing on the tv next to it (24 hour TBS marathon). I swear as soon as I saw the box I knew. My son (age 12) went over and opened it. He absolutely loved it. Of course it didn't actually work like the movie as my son dumped all the pellets on the floor. lol (whatever you call them ). They are outside now target shooting. God I hope neither of them shoots their eyes out.

Well, my husband surprised even me this morning and bought my son the Red Rider Gun (from the Christmas story). The kids opened up their gifts and he told me son he "saw" something by the entertainment center. Funny thing is the Christmas story is playing on the tv next to it (24 hour TBS marathon). I swear as soon as I saw the box I knew. My son (age 12) went over and opened it. He absolutely loved it. Of course it didn't actually work like the movie as my son dumped all the pellets on the floor. lol (whatever you call them ). They are outside now target shooting. God I hope neither of them shoots their eyes out.

Merry Christmas! I would go get some shooting glasses at Wal Mart for him to use when he is shooting. Also I would check with your local city and police dept about discharging the BB gun inside city limits. In some cities it is ok to discharge a BB or air gun within the city or county limits and other cities classify BB and air guns as real guns.

Below is what the City of Garland, Texas has in there books about a BB gun which can be fired within the city limits. You can go to your cities website and see if they have city ordnances and codes on line. If not call city hall or the police dept. Better be safe then sorry.

Sec. 26.05. Projecting of missiles prohibited.

(A) No person may discharge a firearm, rifle, shotgun, automatic rifle, revolver, pistol or other weapon designed for the purpose of firing or discharging a shell, missile or cartridge, whether the shell, missile or cartridge is blank or live ammunition, in any place in the City.

(B) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:

(1) The person was a peace officer or Animal Control Officer acting in the performance of his official duties;

(2) The person was at a shooting range operated by an agency of the United States government, State of Texas or a political subdivision of the state;

(3) The person was at a privately-owned shooting range which had been approved by the Building Official and the Fire Marshall of the City of Garland, and which was legally operating as a permitted use in accordance with the City of Garland Ordinance No. 3237;

(4) The person was using blank cartridges for a show or theatrical production, or for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports, or by a military organization;

(5) The person was lawfully defending person or property; or

(6) The person was shooting an air gun, air rifle, BB gun, spring gun or similar gun or device in which the shot, metal pellet or other missile or projectile is propelled by means of compressed air or mechanical spring device, and the person and all projectiles emanating from said gun or device were contained within the person's premises.

Cool! I hope you don't have anything like the movie happen!

I got my DH an ornament that says "you're gonna shoot your eye out", it's our fav movie this time of year! DH and I got two guns, the ones that snap/pop on a roll. We found them at the dollar store and had to get them, I remember playing with them when I was a little kid. Of course, our one neighbors will get angry with us if we use them (grouches), luckily they go out of town often! We'll show the kids how to use rocks and pop them.

My husband put his gun in his gun rack (all locked up). Rule is he can only use it when hes there. Not even me as I don't know a thing about guns in general. They are going target shooting tomorrow after I get back from my after christmas sales.

Good for you guys :). DH and I are big on locked down guns even though we have a lot of them. He does not hunt but he loves target practice with both the kids. I don't mess with the guns at all except my bb gun to scare animals away lol ... that is all his thing. DD loves to shoot but she knows not to ask when he is not here.

I think this will be an execellent oppourtunity for your son to learn about gun safety and also respect for things that are not really a toy.

Our son had that Red Ryder BB gun when he was small adn went on from there learning gun safety before he could advance to a more powerful gun.

He also learned repsect for other peoples property, if that makes sense. My hubby drilled into him that he should always respect other peoples property and that included Dads guns. Randy is 36 now and right to this very day, he will not borrow one of Dads gun without asking him first or even go into the room where most of hubbys gun collection is kept.

Sounds like a fun gift. We're lucky, as we live a ways out, on a bit of property, so our kids can do things like that without any trouble--or fear of hitting anything or anyone. They are also only allowed to use the BB gun when a parent is around. My older two, who do this are girls, but I grew up doing things like that, and they enjoy it too. This year, one of them got a bow and arrow set-so we're onto that now.