What kind of cookies or candies do you make?

momof5plus1hubby

My sister and I get together and make about 6 different kinds of cookies but this year I had a great idea for something different! The kids and I are going to make about 5 double batches of rice crispy treats, cut them in about 2" squares, dip them in chocolate and put Christmas sprinkles on them! I am so excited to try this since they always look so good at Archers & Gertrude Hawks but I'm too cheap to spend $4 on one,lol. I think we'll put like 3 in each treat sized bag and give everyone in every family around us a baggie plus tie a baggie to each gift we give out to family. I'll have to post a pic of how they turn out. We'll probably make them tomorrow night.

I love this idea. Please tell how they turn out!!

I saw a thing on the news yesterday for crockpot peanut clusters made with chocolate almond bark. I missed the beginning, but I think it's pretty self explanatory. And I would just do it in a pan, not a crockpot.

Hmmmmm....... very interesting.

LOL, I have 1lb of white chocolate almond bark, and a pound of white choc bark as well. I am wondering what to do with it. I do like the rice crispy idea. I have 2 school parties next week that I have to bring dessert-type snacks to. Sounds like a winner! Now, is there anything you can do with candied cherries BESIDES fruitcake? lol. If I dont find something to make with them soon, they will be all gone!

I saw a thing on the news yesterday for crockpot peanut clusters made with chocolate almond bark. I missed the beginning, but I think it's pretty self explanatory. And I would just do it in a pan, not a crockpot.

ohh its good my step grandmother made some they tasted like turtles :)

LOL, I have 1lb of white chocolate almond bark, and a pound of white choc bark as well. I am wondering what to do with it. I do like the rice crispy idea. I have 2 school parties next week that I have to bring dessert-type snacks to. Sounds like a winner! Now, is there anything you can do with candied cherries BESIDES fruitcake? lol. If I dont find something to make with them soon, they will be all gone!

just dip them (cherries) in the chocolate too :thumbsup:

White Sour Cream Fudge

2 1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup sour cream

1/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

1/3 cup quartered candied cherries

Grease and set aside an 8-inch square baking pan. Combine sugar, sour cream, milk, butter, corn syrup and salt in a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Stir over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches a boil.

Boil over moderate heat to 238° on a candy thermometer, soft ball stage*. Remove from heat and let it cool to 110°, about 1 hour. Add flavorings and beat until mixture just begins to lose its gloss and holds its shape (should require very little beating). Quickly stir in pecans or walnuts and cherries; spread in prepared pan. Let stand until firm before cutting.

*To Test for Soft Ball Stage

A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but is soft enough to flatten when picked up with fingers (234° to 240°).

how do you make Turtles?

I just saw a simple recipe for this. You buy a bag of pecan halves, bag of carmels and bag of Hershey kisses.

On a lined cookie sheet, arrange 3 pecan halves to resemble a clover with the edges touching each other. Then place one carmel on center of pecans, then one kiss on top of carmel and bake in 300 degree oven for a few minutes- just until all melted. I am trying this one tomorrow :D

We LOVE chocolate covered potato chips. In fact, we have a chocolate fountain we're taking to a party on Sunday and I bought pretzels and potato chips to take with it. It's a great combination!

I had a hysterectomy a little over a week ago, so my Christmas baking is not going to be like it usually is. I do have sugar cookie dough in the freezer and peanut butter cookie dough in the refrigerator. I planned on making banana bread today, but my plans are on hold for a visit to the pediatrician for my youngest. I typically like to make a few kinds of interesting cookies (I made these awesome yeast based cookies a couple of years ago that we LOVED), but this year it will be pretty simple.

I'm feeling a tad lazy this year, so will make only cookies that start with cookie or cake mix. Bettycrocker.com has a load of recipes. Last year I made the almond cookies were delicious and really easy starting w/Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix. That allows me to make more types since I dont have to measure flour, sugar etc.

I just saw a simple recipe for this. You buy a bag of pecan halves, bag of carmels and bag of Hershey kisses.

On a lined cookie sheet, arrange 3 pecan halves to resemble a clover with the edges touching each other. Then place one carmel on center of pecans, then one kiss on top of carmel and bake in 300 degree oven for a few minutes- just until all melted. I am trying this one tomorrow :D

thank you....will have to tyr these here at the house ...:D

Mmmm... that reminds me I need to do some baking today. Orange oatmeal cookies and peppercookies, the latter being my grandma's secret recipe :9 She only made them at Christmas because they are labor intensive; when she grew too frail to keep tradition up I took over. I've even managed to improve them - hers would always turn rock hard within 10 minutes of coming out of the oven and mine stay nice and soft even after a week. Enough chatting, time for me to get baking! :)

I recently started making oatmeal scotchies (oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips) and everyone loves them. I can post the recipe when I get home if anyone wants it. I'll also probably be making butterscotch no-bakes this year (yes, I like butterscotch).

My grandma makes the most delicious peanut butter fudge (and chocolate and black walnut too, plus caramels) - I really need to watch her sometime.

My hubby and the mail lady's hubby LOVED the oatmeal scotchies when I made them last year!

I usually do chocolate chip, oatmeal, and peanut butter kisses and then kind of rotate what else I make. Those oatmeal scotchies went over really well, so I may do those again. I think I'll also make some 7 layer bars. Usually I do those from scratch but I have a kit from Costco in the cabinet that comes with the condensed milk and everything, so I think I'll whip that up. I'd better get moving on cookies. They're coming up soon on the agenda, lol. At least they'll be fresh for Christmas!

Something else I usually make this time of year is mint brownies. I just buy the Wal*Mart brownie mix as I think it's the best out there and bake them according to the directions. When I take them out of the oven I pour a bag of Andes baking bits over them. The heat causes the baking bits to melt just enough that you can spread it after a few minutes. These are always a big hit around here.

That turtle recipe with the carmels and kisses DID NOT WORK!!! The carmel melted fine, but the hersheys kiss never did. It was a flippin mess. I finally waited til the carmel cooled enough to squish the mess together. Taste good but look like caca:(

Oh well, lesson learned.

Yeah, I tried those turtles like that once, I learned my lesson too.

I still haven't really started, because I will be distributing most of mine this weekend, but I make:

about 10-15 lbs of old fashioned chocolate fudge (the neighbors and relatives BEG for this)

skillet cookies- (dates, rice krispies, coconut, YUMMY!)

Mexican wedding cakes (or snowballs)

lofthouse sugar cookies

peanut butter bon bons

mounds bon bons

oh, and I made Corn Flake Cookies last night, I forgot how simple and delicious they are!

I think I will try these

Easy Turtle Candies

1 1/2 cups pecan halves

1 bag vanilla caramels (14 ounces)

5 milk chocolate candy bars (1 1/2 ounces each), broken into sections

On a greased baking sheet, arrange pecans in clusters of 3 halves about 2 inches apart. Top each cluster of pecans with a slightly flattened caramel. Bake at 300&de;g for 6 to 8 minutes, or until caramels soften. Remove to waxed paper. Flatten caramels with a spatula. While caramels are still warm, top each with a section of chocolate. Spread chocolate a bit when it melts. Refrigerate turtles for a few minutes to harden candies.

I think I will try these

Easy Turtle Candies

1 1/2 cups pecan halves

1 bag vanilla caramels (14 ounces)

5 milk chocolate candy bars (1 1/2 ounces each), broken into sections

On a greased baking sheet, arrange pecans in clusters of 3 halves about 2 inches apart. Top each cluster of pecans with a slightly flattened caramel. Bake at 300&de;g for 6 to 8 minutes, or until caramels soften. Remove to waxed paper. Flatten caramels with a spatula. While caramels are still warm, top each with a section of chocolate. Spread chocolate a bit when it melts. Refrigerate turtles for a few minutes to harden candies.

MMMMMMMMM.. now this sounds good. I'm going to try it. I actually had to google vanilla caramels to see what they were. LOL. I didn't realize that was what they were called.

The last cookie is finished and the good news is I am so tired of looking at/making cookies that I won't be eating any for days!:cheesy: Here's the list of what I made this year: Chocolate chip, chocolate chip with nuts, oatmeal (with raisins, without raisins and with the chocolate covered raisins suggested earlier in this thread---YUMMY A BIG HIT!), ultimate chocolate with pecans, chocolate covered cherry cookies, peanut butter, sugar and snickerdoodle. I was going to make nuts cups but I am tired and my knee is killing me. (You should have seen the looks when I told the doctor I twisted it while wrapping presents. I have the brace for a week and then if it isn't better, they will do an MRI to see if I tore the cartlidge.) I packaged up the cookies for grandma and my mom and hubby dropped them off. My uncle's cookies are being mailed tomorrow. Wrapping the last 3 presents tonight :holiday16 and then I AM FINISHED! WOOOHOO!

Okay, I fired up the ovens and so far Ive made, Eggnog sugar cookies, coconut covered cherry, cinnamin sugar cookie, Cinnaman Oatmeal, Double peanut butter, Creamcheese suag cookies, double chac cookies, Choc riendeer cookies, snowball cookies, peanutbutter oatmeal cookies. And Sugar cookies so I would say we have enough cookies. Oh wait andes mint cookies, and pinwheels. After tonight I start my pies oh joy

That turtle recipe with the carmels and kisses DID NOT WORK!!! The carmel melted fine, but the hersheys kiss never did. It was a flippin mess. I finally waited til the carmel cooled enough to squish the mess together. Taste good but look like caca:(

Oh well, lesson learned.

THANKS...thankgoodness I didnt have time to shop this weekend to get the stuff:D

Yesterday my step daughter and I baked cookies from 8am till 2pm.

We made

Oatmeal chocolate chip

snickerdoodles

peanut butter

don't know the name, but they are sugar cookies with nutella in between (like sandwich cookies) and then you smoosh them together so a little of the nutella comes out and you roll that part in crushed almonds

tehn we made white chocoate bark. one with cranberries and pecans and the other with just almonds.

the entire table was full of cookies!!! :eyepoppin

I have a question..... everytime I make cookies they turn hard, but I want to keep them chewy. So my question is, how do you avoid rock hard cookies???

I know this is going to sound strange but add some sour cream to the batter. Not alot because you shouldn't be able to taste the sour cream but it makes cookies really soft.

I keep my cookies soft my cooking them less....

If the reciped says to cook them for 10 minutes, I usually cook them for 8. :) the bottoms cook ALOT faster than the tops.

This is what I do, cooking I lessen the time in the oven, even more so when the oven has been on longer, I baked from 7am till 11:30am so the oven was cooking.