Prime Day sale to take place June 21-22 this year

Brad

Likewise and mostly because I don’t use alcohol for anything in my house (save for rubbing alcohol). I don’t want to spend the money on something I’ll never otherwise use. lol

Oh, but you use the entire bottle of whatever medium you buy to make multiple bottles at once. The longer it sits, the better. So even if you make say, five bottles of extract, and it takes you a year to get through each one, by the time you get to the fifth bottle after four years, it's going to be amazing!

Likewise and mostly because I don’t use alcohol for anything in my house (save for rubbing alcohol). I don’t want to spend the money on something I’ll never otherwise use. lol

You can buy a bottle of whatever alcohol you want to use that’s in line with the size of vanilla you want to make. Heck you can add the beans right to that bottle if you want to.

You can buy a bottle of whatever alcohol you want to use that’s in line with the size of vanilla you want to make. Heck you can add the beans right to that bottle if you want to.

Voice of experience?  What size and type liquor would you put how much vanilla bean -- and where does one get these beans (I know where to get liquor)?  I'm chomping at the bit!

Voice of experience?  What size and type liquor would you put how much vanilla bean -- and where does one get these beans (I know where to get liquor)?  I'm chomping at the bit!

So if you want no liquor left over Go for 250ML-350ML (you need a little space at the top of bottle) also get glass not plastic bottled. I prefer rum BUT that's me, many use vodka because it doesn't add any additional flavor. I buy my beans from Beanilla online. I use Madagascar beans (best in my opinion), depending on how many ounces of liquor you have you will put 2-4 beans in it.

This is not the cheap way to get vanilla but nothing you buy in a store comes close in my opinion.

• Like 1

So if you want no liquor left over Go for 250ML-350ML (you need a little space at the top of bottle) also get glass not plastic bottled. I prefer rum BUT that's me, many use vodka because it doesn't add any additional flavor. I buy my beans from Beanilla online. I use Madagascar beans (best in my opinion), depending on how many ounces of liquor you have you will put 2-4 beans in it.

This is not the cheap way to get vanilla but nothing you buy in a store comes close in my opinion.

You guys keep me busy.  Been doing some reading.  From what I have read, I have decided that Grade B Madagascar beans and Vodka are best for Vanilla Extract.  I also learned that the FDA requires six beans per cup of alcohol to qualify as vanilla extract (anything less is simply flavored alcohol).  750ml is 3.17006463 cups.  Multiply that by six beans specifies 19.02038778 beans per 750ml bottle of vodka.

So I purchased 20 Grade B Madagascar Vanilla Beans for Extract, (5"-7") on Amazon.  Listed at $34.99, on sale for $25.99, minus a $2 coupon, minus 5% for Subscribe-And-Save, minus 5% for using my Prime card, and minus $10 (to spend on Prime Days due to supporting Small Businesses), my OOP for the 20 highly rated beans was $11.56.  The Smirnoff No.21 Premium Vodka 80 Proof (glass bottle) was $10.99.  

Yield should be about 25oz with a cost of $0.89/oz.  16 fl oz of McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract is $33.56 ($2.10/oz), so, unless I screw this up, it looks like I'm saving about 2/3 and it looks like I GottaDeal.

Directions could not be simpler...

1. Cut the vanilla beans in half lengthwise with scissors or a knife. Leave a bit intact at the end if desired.
  2. Put the beans in a 750ml bottle of vodka. Screw the cover on and give it a good shake.
  3. Place in a cool, dark place. Let sit for at least 2 months. The longer the vanilla sits, the stronger the flavor will be. While it's sitting, give the jar a shake every week, or as often as you can remember.

Wish me luck!

• Like 5

Again, if you have an Instant Pot, or other electric pressure cooker (do not use a stove top pressure cooker due to the potential of alcoholic vapors being close to the heat source upon release), you can save some time in the extraction process.

There are two methods for doing so in the Instant Pot. I've done the first one, with excellent results, but I'm going to try the second method next time, as I've heard good reviews of that method as well.

Tidbits' method in jars

Frieda Loves Bread In Pot Method Vanilla Extract

Again, after making in the Instant Pot, I like to allow my jarred vanilla extract to sit for two weeks in a dark cabinet, getting shaken at least weekly before using. But, both recipe writers claim they can be used right away.

You guys keep me busy.  Been doing some reading.  From what I have read, I have decided that Grade B Madagascar beans and Vodka are best for Vanilla Extract.  I also learned that the FDA requires six beans per cup of alcohol to qualify as vanilla extract (anything less is simply flavored alcohol).  750ml is 3.17006463 cups.  Multiply that by six beans specifies 19.02038778 beans per 750ml bottle of vodka.

So I purchased 20 Grade B Madagascar Vanilla Beans for Extract, (5"-7") on Amazon.  Listed at $34.99, on sale for $25.99, minus a $2 coupon, minus 5% for Subscribe-And-Save, minus 5% for using my Prime card, and minus $10 (to spend on Prime Days due to supporting Small Businesses), my OOP for the 20 highly rated beans was $11.56.  The Smirnoff No.21 Premium Vodka 80 Proof (glass bottle) was $10.99.  

Yield should be about 25oz with a cost of $0.89/oz.  16 fl oz of McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract is $33.56 ($2.10/oz), so, unless I screw this up, it looks like I'm saving about 2/3 and it looks like I GottaDeal.

Directions could not be simpler...

1. Cut the vanilla beans in half lengthwise with scissors or a knife. Leave a bit intact at the end if desired.
  2. Put the beans in a 750ml bottle of vodka. Screw the cover on and give it a good shake.
  3. Place in a cool, dark place. Let sit for at least 2 months. The longer the vanilla sits, the stronger the flavor will be. While it's sitting, give the jar a shake every week, or as often as you can remember.

Wish me luck!

Like I said it's all taste. I like Rum but that's a personal thing. I have considered Tequila but I'm not sure that would go well. :)

I don't go by what the FDA says either and a lot of it depends on the size of the beans. I've found they can vary greatly in size lol

I really don't care if it's more expensive the stuff from places like McCormick while not bad, don't hold a candle to homemade stuff. My method includes turning the bottle upside down and back up 3-4 times once every week. It helps really distribute and break things up.

• Like 1

Just to weigh in on vanilla extract chat, one of my co-workers gave us her homemade vanilla extract. It's amazing - way better than what I was buying in the store (I stopped buying McCormacks, was buying it from Trader Joe's since they were a slightly better price.) Enjoy your extract!

• Like 1

I did. My Spot was doing the same thing.

I miss my Spot. The Echo Show sound is not as good.

Thanks for the input.  I’m really disappointed that the s teen is already screwing up because I love it otherwise.  

I’m to ingrained with Alexa. We have lots of dots. We have some hue lights only the regular ones, smart plugs, and led strip lights from Amazon.  My husband put them above the cabinets, under the cabinets by the floor. Under the top cabinets plug in lights  we have them under the kitchen table, pool table and on the ceiling above pool table. Lamps in three rooms, outside on patio,Nader table on the umbrella, and on privacy plant trellis. Switch to turn on stereo.  We have them in the master bathroom. It’s nic when in bed to tun all the lights off. We have had hue lights, around 2016 or 17. Those are just the regular light bulbs and none have burned out.

I love my Hue lights.  I have the regular ones too, nothing fancy.  And I only have a few.  I put them in the most heavily used room in my house.  

I did under cabinet LED lighting for my in-laws after I redid their kitchen and finished the backsplash. Was pretty cool to be able to control it with Alexa.

Last house I flipped I did all LED lighting in the closets that could be controlled by Alexa. Didn’t get to mess with those since I didn’t put an access point or Internet In to sell it. Also did ring for doorbell and nest for HVAC.

I did under cabinet LED lighting for my in-laws after I redid their kitchen and finished the backsplash. Was pretty cool to be able to control it with Alexa.

Last house I flipped I did all LED lighting in the closets that could be controlled by Alexa. Didn’t get to mess with those since I didn’t put an access point or Internet In to sell it. Also did ring for doorbell and nest for HVAC.

The important thing is to control the lights with a switch which does not rely on 'smart' tech so people who are less interested in the fun stuff can control things the traditional way.

• Like 1

The important thing is to control the lights with a switch which does not rely on 'smart' tech so people who are less interested in the fun stuff can control things the traditional way.

We had motion controls for all of it and a switch you could physically control the lighting with.

Anyone have a recommendation for an OTA DVR?

Are DVRs even a thing anymore with streaming? We don’t have unlimited data with our ISP so that’s a concern with cutting the cord. I have an outdoor antenna with a 30 ft tower so signal is great OTA.

Anyone have a recommendation for an OTA DVR?

Are DVRs even a thing anymore with streaming? We don’t have unlimited data with our ISP so that’s a concern with cutting the cord. I have an outdoor antenna with a 30 ft tower so signal is great OTA.

I have five TiVo Roamio OTA DVRs and I concur with Kanyon71.  The thing with TiVo is that there is a monthly fee for service.  Alternatively, you can pay a one time fee for Lifetime Service -- which is the lifetime of the box not the owner.  You can watch a single TiVo on multiple sets by adding Minis on other TVs.  

I also have an Amazon Recast.  With Prime Days fast approaching, you may want to look into the Recast.  The Recast has no service fees, but only streams to Amazon devices.  While I bought the Recast for my Echo Shows, I have a 4K FireTV stick on every tv in my home.  I'm very happy with the Recast.  If you do not have coax running from your antenna to every tv in your home, the Recast+FireTV option can save you a lot of time and money.  The Recast only supports two concurrent streams AND you are limited to a single Recast per account.

I have a SlingTV DVR.  I set this up on my Roku TVs.  Mostly, I use it to stream out of my home.

The Recast and SlingTV DVRs have internal disks and an external connection for additional storage.  Both integrate streaming services into their guide.

I have a TabloTV DVR.  This is probably the best whole house DVR for those not interested in streaming services.  Like the TiVo, you can pay for their guide service (which includes remote viewing and other premium features) on a monthly, annual, or one time fee basis.

You may want to hold on for an ATSC 3.0 DVR if local broadcasters are already supporting ATSC 3.0 or will be soon.

Thanks for the input. Looks like Amazon only carries refurbished TiVo. Even the TiVo site sends me somewhere else to purchase.

I don’t have a Fire, just an LG smart Tv w/a Roku to pick up the slack. I’m thinking I need to look more into this new ATSC before moving forward.

Thanks for the input. Looks like Amazon only carries refurbished TiVo. Even the TiVo site sends me somewhere else to purchase.

I don’t have a Fire, just an LG smart Tv w/a Roku to pick up the slack. I’m thinking I need to look more into this new ATSC before moving forward.

Channelmaster sells new TiVos these days...

Set Top Boxes and DVR's | Channel Master

People swear by Weaknees, but I have no first hand experience...

TiVo Roamio OTA (Antenna ONLY!) with 1TB Drive and ALL-IN Service (Factory Refurbished) - TiVo Series5 Roamio - WeaKnees - the DVR Superstore

Just one television on that antenna?

Just one television on that antenna?

Antenna on 3 TVs

Main Tv: LG smart with a Roku and antenna

Kitchen: TCL Roku Smart TV

Bedroom: Element-not smart, has antenna

It’d be nice if the DVR worked on the main & bed. The kitchen is fine without. I’m thinking of picking up one on eBay just to try it out. There are some Bolt models on there for $60-80

• Like 1

Antenna on 3 TVs

Main Tv: LG smart with a Roku and antenna

Kitchen: TCL Roku Smart TV

Bedroom: Element-not smart, has antenna

First, check the manual for the TCL Roku TV.  All of mine support 'trick play' (pause, rewind, fast forward) if you plug in a 16GB USB stick.  They can get guide data right out of the television feed which can be used to create a grid style electronic program guide.  Very cool because 1. You do not need to pay for a service, 2. You don't have to worry about a vendor ending support for the product, and 3. You do not have to worry about privacy breaches since the television does not need to be on the internet.

I would seriously consider a Tablo TV DVR with Lifetime.  You can get a two tuner model for ~$100 most of the time.  That would be great if you only watch two televisions at a time.  The four tuner model goes for about $200.  Add $20 if you want built in 1tb of storage and $180 more for Lifetime Guide Data Service (which includes features like series recordings and out-of-home streaming through Tablo Connect for network-connected Tablo DVRs and in-home streaming to secondary televisions for TV-connected Tablo DVRs).  Get an inexpensive 4K FireTV Stick on Prime Days or watch for a deal on a Roku for that dumb tv.  You are still only looking at a $400 investment for three sets.

Tablo QUAD 1TB Over-The-Air DVR | Tablo (tablotv.com)

It’d be nice if the DVR worked on the main & bed. The kitchen is fine without. I’m thinking of picking up one on eBay just to try it out. There are some Bolt models on there for $60-80

Less than $400 if you do not need a Roku for the third set and you can probably go with a dual tuner model to bring your total investment under $300.

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1

I have a spreadsheet with well over 200,000 PD "deals". If anyone has a very specific request, feel free to PM me and if I find something I'll reply. If you don't hear from me, then there's nothing matching your request in that spreadsheet (doesn't mean there won't be other deals - this is just a portion of the deals). Have to do it via PM so I don't share any details publicly.

What if Amazon, Walmart, and Target held a sale and no one showed up?  Very little buzz about Prime Days.  I bought two things -- one was for someone else (not a gift).  I got $34.99 worth of crap from Amazon (Echo Dot 3rd Gen and Ring Video Doorbell Wired), $0 from Walmart, and $0 from Target.

I bought a knife but it wasn't a prime day sale. :( 

BTW, those cuisinart knives that are always on sale at Best Buy, etc? They are garbage. I bought a set because it was cheap and I thought "hey, backup knives." Yeah they're barely backup knives. I chipped my kyocera ceramic knife (RIP) and had to bring out these knives to cut up vegetables, potatoes, etc. They are barely sharp, not very useful, they are too heavy, and one of the knives had a terrible blade size to handle ratio - as I would push the knife down to cut through something, my hand would start hitting the cutting board - and I have small hands!

The only knife worth it so far has been the bread knife. If I paid 13 dollars for that knife alone, I probably overpaid considering other knives I could get, but good grief. I'm going to demote these knives to whacking through chicken bones (since that is not recommended for ceramic knives.)