Missing the Black Fridays of past years

Yorkiegirl1

I'm looking at the flyers and trying to be enthusiastic but I can't help but feel like "this isn't any fun anymore"  I miss the lines, studying the circulars looking for deals, planning my attack and getting a very late night or early morning snack at a local diner...  The sales aren't that great and it's just sitting at home on the computer...  Anyone else feel somewhat the same???

• Like 2

I'm looking at the flyers and trying to be enthusiastic but I can't help but feel like "this isn't any fun anymore"  I miss the lines, studying the circulars looking for deals, planning my attack and getting a very late night or early morning snack at a local diner...  The sales aren't that great and it's just sitting at home on the computer...  Anyone else feel somewhat the same???

Yup I feel the same way. It not nearly as fun as it used to be and the past few years I have been buying less and less. 

• Like 1

You can re-live the glory days of Black Friday with both the Black Friday Archive and of course 16 years of archived forum threads.Travel back in time to when many GD forum members called Walmart expressing outrage about their lame legal threats, when Best Buy's site would crash when their sale started pretty much every year or when GD would get front-page CNN.com stories about big ads leaking. Ahhh, the good old days.

plug>

• Like 8

I feel the same way. Hopefully once ads start popping things will change.

I miss the adrenaline of trying to get the freebies: Snowglobes at JCPenney, Gift cards elsewhere, I think Target did bags with snacks another year

Maybe I should look into getting GD snowglobes made for next year. Bring back the tradition in some way at least.

• Like 13

I'm going to miss the rush and excitement of finally getting my items on my list, standing in line and cashing out feeling like I hit the jackpot...rushing from store to store until the early morn...but I'm sure my body will be thanking me this year that I can't put it through the trauma and must shop mostly online...
  • Like 2

I think the "fun days" have long passed, but I was just thinking that it would be cool if someone wrote a book about the memories they have from the "glory years".  Maybe Gottadeal could publish the book and it could just be stories from some of the members.  I'm not sure how much it is to publish books, but it could be fun, and possibly if nothing else something just given out to site members in future years who wins the contests.

I miss it too.  This year, I have agreed to help my daughter move over Thanksgiving weekend since going into stores will be slim.  I can take breaks and shop online. Plus she lives in the absolute middle of nowhere!  But Prime day and Kohl's have helped me knock out most of my list already.  

But i do miss getting up at 3 am and standing outside in the cold waiting for Fred's to open at 5 am, then making the mad rush to our Walmart for when they would start at 6 am. Fun times.

• Like 1

I miss it too.  This year, I have agreed to help my daughter move over Thanksgiving weekend since going into stores will be slim.  I can take breaks and shop online. Plus she lives in the absolute middle of nowhere!  But Prime day and Kohl's have helped me knock out most of my list already.  

But i do miss getting up at 3 am and standing outside in the cold waiting for Fred's to open at 5 am, then making the mad rush to our Walmart for when they would start at 6 am. Fun times.

I miss it too, but everytime I think of the cold breeze that seems to never quit....... My biggest issue is the online sales can be manipulated. If there is not a max quantity then one person could buy it all up or who's to say that they received enough quantity to satisfy the masses. At least if you were in line early you a good shot at getting the items you wanted

It's not for everyone. I understand the melancholy with how things have changed and are still changing.  Several years ago, when they started the sales at midnight, then 10:00pm Thursday, then earlier and earlier, I hated it!  I still hate it!  BUT we figured out how to make it work and we still have so much fun every year. It is still my absolute favorite time of the year.  This year, things are changing again, through no one's fault, and I find myself getting really down about it.  But, the only thing that stays the same is everything changes. My sister, daughter, and I have agreed we will find a way to make it fun this year just like before.  Prayerfully, next year will be back to semi-normal, but let's face it, this is going to usher in another big change. Maybe I'll hate it. Maybe I'll love it. But I'm going to make darn sure I have fun with it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I agree.... I have never been so unenthused about a Black Friday in my life....here we are 4 days before the big day and this is my first time logging in here this year. Not going out this year and likely ordering slim to nothing online....*sigh* *end negativity*

Yes, same.  So unenthused as well. Black Friday is truly sad this year.  My husband and I were walking through Target yesterday and even he said how he missed the thrill and high you get for planning out your shopping strategy.  I think our spending will be very minimal this time around.