Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Shana Tovah! Happy Jewish New Year!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 2:32 pm

L'shana Tovah (Happy Jewish New Year 5781), GottaDeal community!

Besides Shabbos, this coming Friday is Erev Rosh Hashannah, the Jewish New Year and start of the 10 Days of Awe.

Yesterday I was a Zoom participant in Eastside Torah Center - Chabad's Grand Rosh Hashannah Challah Bake. It was fun socializing virtually, and I enjoyed the learning and the demonstration of the simanim platter while our dough proofed.

Of course, when it came time for shaping, I did my own thing. Both designs are from The Challah Prince on Instagram. The one on the left is the basic 4-strand round braid, only he makes 8-strands and put two side by side in each strand pattern. The "star" shape on the right is 5 mini 4-strand braid challot, curved together in the center and then fanned out to make the circle.

I did the second rise overnight in the refrigerator, so I think they over proofed a little and I lost some of the design on each. Egg wash to bake, and since they're for Rosh Hashannah, honey wash as soon as they were removed from the oven.

For a first attempt at each design, I'm quite happy!

2020-09-15-11-21-28.jpg

Edited by Gator Pam, Sep 15, 2020 - 11:17 pm.

#2 Reinholt1  OFFLINE  

Reinholt1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 9:56 pm

Shana tovah Gater! Those look yummy!

Hope you are enjoying the holidays!

#3 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 3,147 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Yesterday, 2:57 pm

*cross posted*

Last night's festive meal's dessert was a new recipe from the Kosher Keto Ladies Facebook group: a keto-fied "honey" cake. Other than a few technical baking difficulties, as I am truly not a baker, it came out great!

2020-09-18-18-13-44.jpg
The "honey" cake fresh out of the oven.

2020-09-18-21-38-21.jpg
Turned out of the pan.

2020-09-18-21-38-49.jpg
Dusted with confectioners Lakanto monkfruit sweetener blend.

2020-09-18-21-39-19.jpg
Autopsy shot.

2020-09-18-21-39-44.jpg
Since I am inexperienced with making bundt cakes, I don't think I baked it quite long enough, allowed it to cool long enough, and tried to unmold it on a wire cooling rack rather than a solid surface. So, the honey cake crumbled.
Since it crumbled in sections, we served it with Halo Top ice cream , strawberries, and sugar free whipped cream .

2020-09-18-21-40-39.jpg
The typed up recipe with my notes. Shared with permission from Lisa Libman of the Kosher Keto Ladies Facebook group.

Edited by Gator Pam, Yesterday, 2:58 pm.

#4 Reinholt1  OFFLINE  

Reinholt1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Yesterday, 3:57 pm

::watching as the sun sets here:: good shabbos!

Kosher keto...:: shaking head:: it takes all the fun out of the holidays...all that good food....such a shame.

#5 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 3,147 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Yesterday, 5:45 pm

Kosher keto...:: shaking head:: it takes all the fun out of the holidays...all that good food....such a shame.

I do make my family's traditional receipts, but honey cake is not a tradition I grew up with. I've had it in recent years at the local CHABAD's, but had never learned to make it myself.

When I saw this recipe I was like, "Why not?" I tried it, and IMO it's as good as, if not better, than the other honey cake I had in the past. So, in this instance, I'm not feeling like I'm missing out, nu?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users