Shana Tovah! Happy Jewish New Year!

Gator Pam

L'shana Tovah (Happy Jewish New Year 5781), GottaDeal community!

Besides Shabbos, this coming Friday is Erev Rosh Hashannah, the Jewish New Year and start of the 10 Days of Awe.

Yesterday I was a Zoom participant in Eastside Torah Center - Chabad's Grand Rosh Hashannah Challah Bake. It was fun socializing virtually, and I enjoyed the learning and the demonstration of the simanim platter while our dough proofed.

Of course, when it came time for shaping, I did my own thing. Both designs are from The Challah Prince on Instagram. The one on the left is the basic 4-strand round braid, only he makes 8-strands and put two side by side in each strand pattern. The "star" shape on the right is 5 mini 4-strand braid challot, curved together in the center and then fanned out to make the circle.

I did the second rise overnight in the refrigerator, so I think they over proofed a little and I lost some of the design on each. Egg wash to bake, and since they're for Rosh Hashannah, honey wash as soon as they were removed from the oven.

For a first attempt at each design, I'm quite happy!

2020-09-15-11-21-28.jpg

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 4

*cross posted*

Last night's festive meal's dessert was a new recipe from the Kosher Keto Ladies Facebook group: a keto-fied "honey" cake. Other than a few technical baking difficulties, as I am truly not a baker, it came out great!

2020-09-18-18-13-44.jpg

The "honey" cake fresh out of the oven.

2020-09-18-21-38-21.jpg

Turned out of the pan.

2020-09-18-21-38-49.jpg

Dusted with confectioners Lakanto monkfruit sweetener blend.

2020-09-18-21-39-19.jpg

Autopsy shot.

2020-09-18-21-39-44.jpg

Since I am inexperienced with making bundt cakes, I don't think I baked it quite long enough, allowed it to cool long enough, and tried to unmold it on a wire cooling rack rather than a solid surface. So, the honey cake crumbled.

Since it crumbled in sections, we served it with Halo Top ice cream , strawberries, and sugar free whipped cream .

2020-09-18-21-40-39.jpg

The typed up recipe with my notes. Shared with permission from Lisa Libman of the Kosher Keto Ladies Facebook group.

Edited by Gator Pam

Kosher keto...:: shaking head:: it takes all the fun out of the holidays...all that good food....such a shame.

I do make my family's traditional receipts, but honey cake is not a tradition I grew up with. I've had it in recent years at the local CHABAD's, but had never learned to make it myself.

When I saw this recipe I was like, "Why not?" I tried it, and IMO it's as good as, if not better, than the other honey cake I had in the past. So, in this instance, I'm not feeling like I'm missing out, nu?

Yesterday this non-baker took on a new baking project for Break Fast after sunset tonight. Here is my first ever chocolate babka, and done in a shape of a star.

Recipe is from Frum It Up. She posted it on YouTube, but I had to email her for the written instructions.

20200927-212048.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday this non-baker took on a new baking project for Break Fast after sunset tonight. Here is my first ever chocolate babka, and done in a shape of a star.

Recipe is from Frum It Up. She posted it on YouTube, but I had to email her for the written instructions.

20200927-212048.jpg

That looks amazing. Bet it taste great too. Happy baking.

Thank you!

The little spiral on the right side was made from what scraps I wasn't able to combine in to another layer. We split that and ate it as soon as it was cool enough, before the holiday fast began. I'm hoping sitting overnight with the other half of the syrup, covered by the flour sack towel allowed the syrup to penetrate the dough. The spiral was a little tough for my taste. The flavor was excellent, though.

Edited by Gator Pam

In the Low Carb thread in the Lounge, Fresia asked what challah recipe I use. Since challah is eaten for nearly all Jewish holidays (except Passover and any holiday which involves fasting, except at the end of the fast) I figured the recipe would fit in better here, since it is not a low carb food.

This recipe can be found online, but the versions I have seen appear to leave out some steps. This copy has all the steps I follow, although I use my KitchenAid to mix and knead the dough, and my Instant Pot for the first rise. Use the paddle in the KA on low to k7x the dry and wet ingredients together, then the dough hook for about 10 minutes on medium. Use the glass lid to proof the dough on Yogurt Less in the IP; you do not want to risk the dough rising in to the lockable lid. I'll post a photo of my doygh in the IP under the recipe.

2020-07-25-21-32-44.jpg

20200806-145145.jpg

Many recipes for challah are similar. I think the one I make uses a lot more yeast than most, and the adding the additional flour a cup at a time (I use bread flour, not all purpose) seems to make a difference. All I know is this challah comes out much more tender than other recipes I've tried. We really prefer it.

Beautiful!

Which recipe did you finally settle on?

I used Smitten Kitchen's, which is based on Joan Nathan's recipe (which is the one in the NY Times cooking section.) I did a four braid and of course, promptly messed it up, but took the photos from the angle where you can't see the strand that didn't get woven in very well. :D

The only adjustment I made is I halved the recipe - one loaf is already huge, although I may have overproofed in the final rise. It comes out beautifully light, a little sweet, not overly eggy. I'm glad the crumb was light, as I kneaded by hand, and I'm still not great at determining if I kneaded the dough enough.

• Like 1