Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Home Depot cancels Black Friday (as a one day event)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 9, 2020 - 2:35 pm

https://corporate.ho...nouncement-2020

For the first time ever, our Black Friday prices will be available throughout the holiday season. Savings will start in early November and last through December, both in-store and on homedepot.com. Say goodbye to one day of frenzied shopping and enjoy Black Friday savings all season long without the stress and crowds.

CNN story: https://www.cnn.com/...iday/index.html

#2 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 9, 2020 - 3:42 pm

Are we expecting a domino effect, and see other retailers falling in line? Do we expect to see actual door busters the entire season?

#3 len_mullen  ONLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,637 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 9, 2020 - 4:05 pm

I don't think Home Depot starts the domino effect.  They do not have much of an event anyway.  It'll be interesting to see if Ace Hardware and Lowes follow suit.  I think that is how it goes -- sector by sector.

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,893 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 3:56 am

Ya I don’t really see them as a trend setter. They are one store who made more money due to the pandemic. All of them around us stayed busy due to people being home and doing more projects around the house.

#5 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 4:40 am

I can't see any of the major stores doing a one-day-only Black Friday sale. I think the optics would be terrible, as if they are saying "sorry, but the only way to get the best deals is to fight massive crowds on this one day".

I think what Home Depot is doing is smart because they are telling their customers not to hold off on buying stuff because they are waiting for a big one-day BF sale. If people know there is no big blowout BF sale coming, they'll be more likely to spend during these earlier October/November sales.

#6 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,893 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 4:58 am

I think they can do a one day sale it would just need to be online.

#7 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• 3,150 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 5:57 am

This is what I'm wondering when I ask if we will see door busters through out the season.

#8 hbeach  OFFLINE  

hbeach

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 10:21 am

Do you think they will run the 99 cent poinsettia deal all season?

Edited by hbeach, Sep 10, 2020 - 10:21 am.

#9 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 3:21 pm

They can do that, but why get people to visit your site on one day when you can get them to visit multiple times over many weeks/months?

I'd have a bigger long-term sale online and then maybe a handful of one-day-only online doorbusters each day of the sale.

#10 connieh  OFFLINE  

connieh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 5:33 pm

Not sure any real deep discounts will be found with sales spread out like this

#11 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 11, 2020 - 4:55 am

But once stock runs out it is out. There is no replenishing of the specialty items. So we are still in the same boat just with a different paddle. 

#12 bethed  OFFLINE  

bethed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 3:43 am

I wonder about their Christmas Tree Doorbuster. This is by far the best tree deal of the year. Online? Limited time deal in store.....

#13 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 5:49 am

I wonder about their Christmas Tree Doorbuster. This is by far the best tree deal of the year. Online? Limited time deal in store.....

Yes!!!! I love the tree I purchased a few years ago and would love to get another one for my foyer if possible this year. My second one is just to big, but a skinny, frothed tree.....oh my I cant stop smiling just thinking about it 

#14 jroyster86  OFFLINE  

jroyster86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 10:00 am

I've been wondering about the Christmas tree doorbuster too. My tree has been looking ragged for the past few years and every year we say it's time to throw it out and replace it. I almost chucked it last year, but something told me to hold on one more season. I'm glad I did!

#15 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,567 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 10:02 am

I was wondering about this too.  The dog chewed up the bottom strand of lights on my tree a couple years ago, so I was thinking of getting a new one this year.

#16 Stowasser  OFFLINE  

Stowasser

Jill (Boo)

• 10,983 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 1:40 pm

I have been wondering about supplies, some things are still out and aren't being replenished (appliances, office supply, household goods).  

#17 len_mullen  ONLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,637 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2020 - 6:50 am

I can't see any of the major stores doing a one-day-only Black Friday sale. I think the optics would be terrible, as if they are saying "sorry, but the only way to get the best deals is to fight massive crowds on this one day".

To be fair, it's been a LONG time since anyone has had a one-day-Black-Friday-sale.  And there is Cyber Monday.  Recently, November has been Black Friday Months with door busters and not-so-secret sales each weekend.

If Amazon has Prime Days in October, that will mark the beginning of Black Friday -- unless Walmart has a preemptive sale.

#18 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 19, 2020 - 7:49 am

To be fair, it's been a LONG time since anyone has had a one-day-Black-Friday-sale.  And there is Cyber Monday.  Recently, November has been Black Friday Months with door busters and not-so-secret sales each weekend.

If Amazon has Prime Days in October, that will mark the beginning of Black Friday -- unless Walmart has a preemptive sale.

I think Walmart+ will hit at the exact same time. This might be a true price war and we could reap the benefits...one could wish for such an act, but even though there rivals both are not going to give stuff away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users