Official Thanksgiving Store Closings Discussion Thread

Brad

I don't see how they will be able to gather that many people together.

I think we better think about the holidays now rather than later as I am not anticipating a robust year...

(purely a hunch, not based on anything other than seeing how hard it is to get _anything_ where I work at the moment... It's hit and miss, more misses than hits though...)

I just told the woman I work for that she ought to accumulate 'must have' items now.  Ships packed with Christmas leave China in August most years.  Even if they leave on time filled with stuff made in workerless factories, it will be a challenge to get items to the shelf.  Worse, shipping will continue to deteriorate.

• Like 1

Between the stores having supply chain issues and the shipping carriers (especially USPS) having issues processing packages now during what should be a slower time of year, this is setting up to be a perfect storm come November and December.

We've seen carriers become overwhelmed and have significant delays during December in previous years. Now with what should be way more online shopping and people shipping gifts, and possibly UPS and Fedex having to take packages that can't be trusted to USPS if their problems continue, it's looking like a nightmare scenario.

The retailers starting their sales in early October are probably smart to do so. Whether shoppers will take advantage or wait for "real" deals later on (that may not come) is the question.

• Like 2

Ships packed with Christmas leave China in August most years.  Even if they leave on time filled with stuff made in workerless factories, it will be a challenge to get items to the shelf.  Worse, shipping will continue to deteriorate.

The retailers starting their sales in early October are probably smart to do so. Whether shoppers will take advantage or wait for "real" deals later on (that may not come) is the question.

2020-07-30-08-12-18.jpg
  • Like 1

Between the stores having supply chain issues and the shipping carriers (especially USPS) having issues processing packages now during what should be a slower time of year, this is setting up to be a perfect storm come November and December.

We've seen carriers become overwhelmed and have significant delays during December in previous years. Now with what should be way more online shopping and people shipping gifts, and possibly UPS and Fedex having to take packages that can't be trusted to USPS if their problems continue, it's looking like a nightmare scenario.

Absolutely agree!!!! I have been discussing this with co-workers @ job #2 as we are a major box store and it would only make sense to start sales in October and run them throughout the season to try and bring in some of the revenue that BF weekend brings in... Or increase online sales by offering all items online during BF weekend... Also, they can still utilize the in-store personal shoppers on BF instead of having the store open to customers and still offer curb side pick up...just a few ideas they may come up with that may work...
  • Like 1

My first experience with BF was at Kmart on Thanksgiving Day. 1999. I bought 2 TVs for $99 apiece. Lol. Black box tube TVs. No one could believe the deal! Then (read in a bragging tone) I went back the next morning (Black Friday) and bought 2 boxes of white place settings with gold rims. Yep. I was hooked!!! Great memories !!! Edited by jewleyp

My first experience with BF was at Kmart on Thanksgiving Day. 1999. I bought 2 TVs for $99 apiece. Lol. Black box tube TVs. No one could believe the deal! Then (read in a bragging tone) I went back the next morning (Black Friday) and bought 2 boxes of white place settings with gold rims. Yep. I was hooked!!! Great memories !!!

My first time working Thanksgiving was a Zayre's department store.  They asked a bunch of us to come in to help set up for Friday.  I think it was double time and a half.  We didn't have to come in until after dinner -- no time, just get in when you can.  I was surprised to see people shopping.  The manager said, "If we're going to be here, we might as well sell stuff."  I was more surprised that people tried to get in the store.  In the wee hours of the morning, they sent us across the street for breakfast -- on the company.  By the time we headed out, it was light, lots of people were in the store, and we were exhausted.  I don't think I got out of bed that Black Friday.

• Like 1

This is going to be a strange BF for sure!

I get more sad every time I drive through the mall now.  I was speaking to someone of my same age and we reminisced about the Black Fridays of yesteryear!  When getting up at 3a was the plan after going through the ads and marking what to get and where. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My first time working Thanksgiving was a Zayre's department store. They asked a bunch of us to come in to help set up for Friday. I think it was double time and a half. We didn't have to come in until after dinner -- no time, just get in when you can. I was surprised to see people shopping. The manager said, "If we're going to be here, we might as well sell stuff." I was more surprised that people tried to get in the store. In the wee hours of the morning, they sent us across the street for breakfast -- on the company. By the time we headed out, it was light, lots of people were in the store, and we were exhausted. I don't think I got out of bed that Black Friday.

Zayre's.... I haven't heard that name in a long time!!! Thank you for that trip down memory lane :)

Has K-mart announced they'll be closed on Thanksgiving? That makes me happy, since I think of them as the Thanksgiving Day sale originators.

Not sure. Ido not have a kmart or sears left in my area. They always was my first stop, early Thanksgiving morning. In line by midnight, get my stuff and in bed by 8am ready to do it all again that night

Edited by jesusluvu

Brad who told them people enjoy going to there stores on Thanksgiving evening. That is a lie. We like to go early Friday morning....maybe this is why there has been so much foolishness these past few years with the opening times.... 

• Like 1

Brad who told them people enjoy going to there stores on Thanksgiving evening. That is a lie. We like to go early Friday morning....maybe this is why there has been so much foolishness these past few years with the opening times.... 

They probably only asked the customers who were actually there Thanksgiving evening haha. "Hey, do you like being here? Sure you do - you're here!"

• Like 1

Simon Properties announced that it’s malls will be closed Thanksgiving.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/business/simon-property-group-thanksgiving-closure/index.html

Now thats a change worth talking about. That shuts down a lot of movement on Thanksgiving. Now the question is what store will dare to be different and buck the new status quo and open on Thanksgiving?

They probably only asked the customers who were actually there Thanksgiving evening haha. "Hey, do you like being here? Sure you do - you're here!"

Exactly!!!! 

Three years ago, I popped into Walmart on my way home from Thanksgiving dinner to pickup a pair of iPhones.  Easy peasy and I got to sleep in Friday.

Three years ago, I popped into Walmart on my way home from Thanksgiving dinner to pickup a pair of iPhones.  Easy peasy and I got to sleep in Friday.

Sine they started the Thanksgiving shopping my Walmarts are slammed packed. Full parking lots and all. The tow companies sit at the top of the street and wait for people to park on the grass and tow there cars. It is crazy. That was one of the reasons my online shopping picked up on the holidays because I refused to miss family time to get the doorbusters. I usually still come out good, a lot more work but I enjoy it

Two of my kids work at WM so I'm extra glad they are closed on Thanksgiving.  However, online shopping (don't laugh) intimidates me.  It makes me nervous not having the items in hand.  That being said, I definitely agree with no in store sales.  

My oldest works there and I think she was relieved when she found out they would be closed. I told her the day after can be just as bad, but I am over joyed that she will be home the entire day

All of them should or face serious backlash from the media and customers in general.

Never agreed with this sentiment.  If people want to work and other people want to shop, why should I care.  When I was a kid, Sundays, holidays, and holidays that fell on Sunday were awesome.  If you could figure out how to get paid for more than eight hours on a holiday that fell on a Sunday, you could take the rest of the month off.

Not gonna lie, I am glad they are closed this year, however, I will miss the shopping experience and all its chaos that the day brings... But since the stores will be closed I definitely will be doing more online shopping, cooking, eating, spending time with family and napping that day [emoji51]
  • Like 3

Not gonna lie, I am glad they are closed this year, however, I will miss the shopping experience and all its chaos that the day brings... But since the stores will be closed I definitely will be doing more online shopping, cooking, eating, spending time with family and napping that day [emoji51]

I have a feeling they will have the old school 5am doorbusters. I think this way it will thin the crowd....just my thought