Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Official Thanksgiving Closings Discussion & Update Thread

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 29, 2020 - 4:16 pm

I don't see how they will be able to gather that many people together.

I think we better think about the holidays now rather than later as I am not anticipating a robust year...

(purely a hunch, not based on anything other than seeing how hard it is to get _anything_ where I work at the moment... It's hit and miss, more misses than hits though...)

I just told the woman I work for that she ought to accumulate 'must have' items now.  Ships packed with Christmas leave China in August most years.  Even if they leave on time filled with stuff made in workerless factories, it will be a challenge to get items to the shelf.  Worse, shipping will continue to deteriorate.

#32 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,753 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jul 30, 2020 - 6:44 am

Between the stores having supply chain issues and the shipping carriers (especially USPS) having issues processing packages now during what should be a slower time of year, this is setting up to be a perfect storm come November and December.

We've seen carriers become overwhelmed and have significant delays during December in previous years. Now with what should be way more online shopping and people shipping gifts, and possibly UPS and Fedex having to take packages that can't be trusted to USPS if their problems continue, it's looking like a nightmare scenario.

The retailers starting their sales in early October are probably smart to do so. Whether shoppers will take advantage or wait for "real" deals later on (that may not come) is the question.

#33 Gator Pam  OFFLINE  

Gator Pam

Proud Perimeter Peruser!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 30, 2020 - 7:14 am

Ships packed with Christmas leave China in August most years.  Even if they leave on time filled with stuff made in workerless factories, it will be a challenge to get items to the shelf.  Worse, shipping will continue to deteriorate.

The retailers starting their sales in early October are probably smart to do so. Whether shoppers will take advantage or wait for "real" deals later on (that may not come) is the question.

2020-07-30-08-12-18.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users