This doesn't even feel like Black Friday anymore...

bribri25

watch?v=VaQuxCWWTaI1. I don't have a huge wish/buy list this year.

2. 80% of the deals are already live.

3. Most deals aren't even sold out, yet.

First world problems?  Let's face it -- we're full.  Flat screen tvs have been mainstream for a decade.  GOOD LEDs have been common for half a dozen years.  Incrementally better images on incrementally bigger screens are not going to get anyone to camp out.  

I do not understand people who are unhappy the deals are easier to get.  

If you have everything you want, sleep in Friday.  When you wake up, take a ride, walk through some stores, make impulse purchases, and go to brunch.  That's what I'm going to do.

https://youtu.be/VaQuxCWWTaI

Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 5

bribri I totally understand what you're saying, there is not the same anticipation of BF, BF used to feel nearly like a holiday in itself. I noticed a difference last year but definitely this year. I live in a small town so I never had much shopping to do except what I could find online, and this year there seems to be more sales online which works for me, but this has felt like BF week, not BF, and everything I'm shopping for (which isn't much) has been in stock which has been nice, but part of the fun was the hunt for the bargains.

I started black friday shopping with my mom when I was in high school.  I graduated in 94.  We used to go to Staples as it was the only store in our town that we cared about and it had a free thing with rebate each year, such as a scanner, a printer, etc...  When my kids were small and my budget was smaller, Black Friday allowed me to provide a holiday they otherwise wouldn't get.  I was even above the fold on the newspaper one year with my arms loaded with Children's Place bags at the mall around midnight on Thanskgiving.  

This year my youngest is 11.  I am sitting in my bed looking through all the ads yet again, seeing if I missed anything I want.  I got everything online except some jammie pants at Gordmans that my granddaughter would enjoy because they have my dog on them.  Most of what I bought online today was for me too!

I am not complaining that it is different, I am simply acknolwedging that it is different.  A lot of the difference comes from my life being different and my needs having changed. 

• Like 2

Its bad when the veterans day sale prices were better than black friday prices.........

Fact.

I was going to wait for BF to purchase a TV.  But I wasn't shopping for the cheapest TV out there, rather a specific TV...a 55" Samsung Q80.  Glad I didn't wait for BF.  Bought it from Amazon in Oct. for ~$200 cheaper than the current BF prices from Amazon, BB or WalMart.  

Finally ventured forth yesterday about noon...went out to pick up some stuff ordered online from BB and Lowe's.  Lowe's had shoppers but parking lot only 1/4 full.  Shoppers milling around but not crowded at all.  Same with BB.  Parking lot less than 1/2 full....shoppers inside milling about but many doorbusters still available.  No real line at checkout.

Got to WalMart....had to pick up some cat litter and dreading having to be there on BF.  Amazingly, found a parking space almost in front of the doors.  People inside but, again, many of the doorbusters were still there.  On a whim, picked up one of the JBL bluetooth speakers for a friend.  Was a $20 doorbuster but over a dozen left that I could see...maybe more, just didn't look closely.

Sorta miss the days when CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy were all competing against one another with more ludicrous deals being released hourly by each leading up to the doors opening.      

• Like 1

Fact.

I was going to wait for BF to purchase a TV.  But I wasn't shopping for the cheapest TV out there, rather a specific TV...a 55" Samsung Q80.  Glad I didn't wait for BF.  Bought it from Amazon in Oct. for ~$200 cheaper than the current BF prices from Amazon, BB or WalMart.  

Finally ventured forth yesterday about noon...went out to pick up some stuff ordered online from BB and Lowe's.  Lowe's had shoppers but parking lot only 1/4 full.  Shoppers milling around but not crowded at all.  Same with BB.  Parking lot less than 1/2 full....shoppers inside milling about but many doorbusters still available.  No real line at checkout.

Got to WalMart....had to pick up some cat litter and dreading having to be there on BF.  Amazingly, found a parking space almost in front of the doors.  People inside but, again, many of the doorbusters were still there.  On a whim, picked up one of the JBL bluetooth speakers for a friend.  Was a $20 doorbuster but over a dozen left that I could see...maybe more, just didn't look closely.

Sorta miss the days when CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy were all competing against one another with more ludicrous deals being released hourly by each leading up to the doors opening.      

Same here I was looking specifically for a 65" Q9. Best Buy has it for $2199. Found mine, the exact same one on Ebay for $1699. Snatched that up real quick plus I got $100 in ebay bucks cause of the special ebay was doing at that time.

Fact.

I forgot about CompUSA and Circuit City.....The City was my favorite back in the day