Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Appliances - pros and cons?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 5, 2019 - 6:08 pm

Last year, we got a great deal on a washer/dryer set.  I think it was 40-50 off.  This year, we have been watching refrigerators.  We have settled on one of the higher end models by LG.  We need something B-I-G. 

I should probably measure the area....

Anyway..What is the likelihood that we will score a deal on the specific model we want?  Or will we likely need to compromise?  Is it a percentage off the whole line?  Has anyone ever tried to cut a "deal" on the packages that are commonly offered and throw in different models? For example, you don't care about the model of microwave/dishwasher, but want a certain stove or refrigerator.  You pay a bit more to get what you want, but it ends up as a better deal getting the whole kitchen rather than buying one or two at a time.

Is there a better time of year to buy (**GASP!**)? 

Heck, are LG refrigerators junk?  Should we look at other brands?  Stay away from certain brands?

#2 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 6, 2019 - 2:55 am

recommend you start your search on consumersearch.com.  it's a 'meta' review site that recommends based on the credible reviews of others -- professional and consumer.

#3 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,428 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 5:00 am

Keep in mind that Home Depot/Lowe's/Best Buy/etc. start their Black Friday appliance deals the first week of November (last year I think it was on 10/31) so there's no real reason you have to wait for BF and the ads because those prices will be the lowest they go.

They don't do a % off the whole line - each model has a different % off depending on various factors, so you'll just have to wait and see what each store offers.

If Lowe's has a deal you can score a 10% off coupon easily which can greatly help for high priced appliances.

#4 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 54,386 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 5:02 am

If Lowe's has a deal you can score a 10% off coupon easily which can greatly help for high priced appliances.

Where do you score the coupon?

“The more I know about people, the more I love my dog.” ~ Mark Twain.

#5 bossy1  OFFLINE  

bossy1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 6:03 am

Last year, we got a great deal on a washer/dryer set.  I think it was 40-50 off.  This year, we have been watching refrigerators.  We have settled on one of the higher end models by LG.  We need something B-I-G. 

I should probably measure the area....

Anyway..What is the likelihood that we will score a deal on the specific model we want?  Or will we likely need to compromise?  Is it a percentage off the whole line?  Has anyone ever tried to cut a "deal" on the packages that are commonly offered and throw in different models? For example, you don't care about the model of microwave/dishwasher, but want a certain stove or refrigerator.  You pay a bit more to get what you want, but it ends up as a better deal getting the whole kitchen rather than buying one or two at a time.

Is there a better time of year to buy (**GASP!**)? 

Heck, are LG refrigerators junk?  Should we look at other brands?  Stay away from certain brands?

Only part I can answer is that IMO yes LG is a good fridge.I have had a 22.5 refrig with a bottom freezer for almost 15 years. In all honestly it's NEVER given me any trouble.

#6 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 6:12 am

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

I tried to do their 10% off "new home" coupon a few years ago and was denied.  I think I have gotten the coupon this way in the past.  Is it hidden somewhere?

recommend you start your search on consumersearch.com.  it's a 'meta' review site that recommends based on the credible reviews of others -- professional and consumer.

Thanks!  I will (ab)use that site now as I didn't know it existed.

#7 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,755 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 6:51 am

I just went and did a quick search on eBay and came up with several. :)

I usually shop Home Depot because it's closer, but I'll have to keep this coupon in mind for big purchases.
Thanks Brad for the heads up!

#8 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,355 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 7:02 am

I've used that coupon MANY times at Home Depot.  

#9 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• 1,755 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 7:30 am

I've used that coupon MANY times at Home Depot.

Oh thanks! Yay.

#10 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 7, 2019 - 8:07 am

Don't forget if you have a Lowe's credit card you get 5% off your purchase price as well

Also I recommend getting their warranty, We just replaced our fridge from them that we bought 3 years ago, it was  a 5yr warranty we got, they gave us back the full purchase price that we paid,  they will also replace the cost of any food spoilage you had because of it. funny how you never know how much money exactly you have in product in your fridge until you have to make a list for it and price everything.. we had $243 in it that we just got a check for in the mail, time to go get some groceries lol

#11 DeanH  OFFLINE  

DeanH

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Sep 15, 2019 - 5:04 am

LG's supposed to be good, as is Kenmore, Samsung, etc.  In fact, from what I've heard/read, the brand to absolutely avoid in almost all appliances is Frigidaire/Electrolux.  Horrid reliability.

The main question I have about LG and Samsung is how the build out of their factory service tech network has progressed, as well as spare part availability.  Have heard complaints here and there over time about poor/non-existent factory service techs, esp. from Samsung, and very sparse spare part availability causing long delays in getting repairs completed. 

#12 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 54,386 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2019 - 8:28 am

Hope to get a good deal on a stand up freezer this year - as I keep falling into our old chest style trying to dig things off the bottom! ;)

#13 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,355 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2019 - 8:38 am

Hope to get a good deal on a stand up freezer this year - as I keep falling into our old chest style trying to dig things off the bottom! ;)

On my list as well.  Not a priotity -- looking for a deal.  Have you considered putting your stuff in milk crates?  You'll surrender some space, but gain some organization.

#14 magickallight  OFFLINE  

magickallight

• 54,386 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 15, 2019 - 8:54 am

On my list as well.  Not a priotity -- looking for a deal.  Have you considered putting your stuff in milk crates?  You'll surrender some space, but gain some organization.

I have considered it - but the freezer I am looking to replace came from my hubby's divorce over 23 years ago and it was OLD them - so I think it's time for an upgrade. ;)

#15 tyreejames  OFFLINE  

tyreejames

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 16, 2019 - 5:44 pm

Our chest freezer is 12+ years old and I would love to get an upright one. It’s still rolling though and it would be harder to fit an upright in the space where the chest freezer currently is. One day though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users